Y&R October 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

ALL OF THIS. Especially since I'm back on July but have been tuning into POP to watch Eileen's exit storyline.

AND...SHE...HAS...BEEN...KILLING...IT!!!!

Still Team Ashley and on Monday as far as I was concerned Eileen was selling it. I did find it funny that the whole scene starting out was like a scene from DAYS where Kristen gets exposed...and Eileen was channeling that Kristen fire without the insanity. However once it was her vs Jack it was that Abbott dynamic I was used to see.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Watching Monday’s scenes now and Eileen killed it!! When i initially heard what they planned to have Ashley do, i thought they were throwing her under the bus. But between Ashley’s very legit issues and Eileen’s incredible performance, i totally got it and was team Ashley. I hate that soaps only give you a great story once you’re leaving the damn show.

• Members

I just marathoned six episodes and while I kinda enjoy the Ashley stuff, the show is horrible. It looks cheap and is poorly directed. The lighting is really making the show look cheap.

Another observation, I know everybody raves about Kyle, but he sucks. Maybe in the modern era he’s considered a great find, but he is a mediocre actor and visually I don’t get the hype. If this is what the show is puking their hopes on they’re doomed because he’s no leading man. 

Then the writing. It’s so pedestrian and only hits the most basic notes. Jack has done some truly evil things and having everybody act devastated by what Ashley did and barely acknowledging her feelings doesn’t make sense. Considering her history I don’t find this too out there and they just act stunned. It’s ridiculous!

The Big Little Lies Story continues to drag on and go nowhere. I’m going to watch a couple more episodes but I’m not seeing anything worth watching so far. I’m mainly interested in how Ashley gets written off. 

• Members

These shows are so bad we overpraise mediocrity. The show looks bad, sounds bad (the score they used as Jack threw that chair through the window was the same music they use to transition to every commercial break, that twinkly bland sh!t) and the writing is atrocious. But some of the actors rise above the material.

Why does Gina Tognoni play every scene like an enraged pitbull? I guess she's trying to look like she's street but it makes her look like a linebacker.

• Members

I think the biggest let down is that nobody in the soap press has a good Eileen Davidson exit interview.  Can you imagine the stories she could tell from 35 years on soap sets?  I don't think that anyone would pay for a tell-all book at this point, but a juicy sit-down interview would have been nice. 

• Members

Y&R has been pretty bad for about a decade now.  Mediocre at best has become the new normal and viewers have accepted this as the price to pay for the show remaining on the air.

(Personally, for me, I decided that wasting my time watching a show that will continually irritate and disappoint me is too high a price to pay, so over the summer, even before Hilary was killed off, I cut Y&R loose.)

There is no soap media/press now.  It's mostly a loose collection of bloggers (that's not a put-down) who are dependent on those very same shows to gain access. 

Now, it's become such that most (those who are still even discussing daytime drama) have become too risk averse to even interview an actor who has left the show for an in depth interview to try to give their readers some insight and awareness of the show's dynamics.

The fact that no one has yet, had a sit down interview with Davidson (via You Tube or blog) doesn't surprise me.  When no one bothered to conduct an in depth post-Y&R interview with Mishael Morgan, I knew not to expect much going forward.

Archived