Y&R October 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

I MUST ask this question. I really loved that SL all those years ago. why does Bergman hate it so much? and my hope is it isn't for the reason I hope it isn't for.

even though he is a GIGANTIC hypocrite.....Team Billy. She got what she deserved IMO and so did Summer. it was perfect.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I definitely don't like how Summer is being painted as a victim in this storyline about her, Billy and Phyllis. Especially by Phyllis. Summer sexually harassed and plotted to get Billy to sleep with her for months, largely to hurt her mother. She's not a victim because Billy took her up on her offer and doesn't regret that it hurt Phyllis in the process. Not to mention she used Jack's feelings for Phyllis and tried to seduce Kyle to help her achieve her goal. Summer helped bring this on herself.

I don't like how quickly her and Phyllis have reconciled. Phyllis should be pretty angry with her, (in addition to being pretty angry with Billy.) I do believe she will end up pregnant and Billy will receive the bulk of the blame for it, and be villifed by the town. I also could see Kyle sticking by her during the pregnancy (maybe even at some point pretending to be the baby's father) and that will strain his blossoming relationship with Lola. 

Also, thought it was something how Phyllis mentioned that Billy would have slept with Victoria if Summer wasn't around and made that sound like that would be worse than sleeping with her own daughter. 

• Members

I don't necessarily care about this show in any real way anymore but Gina addresses this in her interview

One of the great scenes that you’ve had this year was when Phyllis realized that Summer is going after her man and she confronts her.  Phyllis slapped her own daughter and then went on the offense to keep her daughter from meeting up with Billy.  Summer did try to seduce Billy, and his gambling addiction wouldn’t have resurfaced at this time in his life, if it weren’t for her.

GINA:  Yes. Summer did push it.   I think in life, people disappoint us in such a profound way.  People are human.  We will be disappointed.   You pray to God that it’s not to certain levels, but it happens.  At the end of the day this is still her daughter, and it’s that bond that you have forever, and you love them, and you have to find a way to forgive because it’s natural: that love in your heart for your child.  That’s all I can say about this story, because it’s bizarre. (Laughs)  It sounds so funny, “My daughter slept with my boyfriend.” (Laughs)  You know what I mean?  However, when you really think about it, Summer broke her mother’s heart.

Even though Summer was a big contributor to the combustion of Billy and Phyllis’ relationship, Phyllis wants what’s best for her?

GINA: That’s the way Mal Young (EP and head writer, Y&R) is writing it.  I think that’s the most human way to do it.  It doesn’t mean that you can’t be angry, or that you have to be trusting in a situation like this.

• Members

First, in terms of Gina playing things hard or whatever, I think she walks a line and tries to balance it. She got a lot of criticism around 2006/2007 for making Dinah too soft when she was with Mallet and not being edgy enough and then again last year for taking the claws out of Phyllis and making her too soft and schmoopy or whatever during Phyllis and Billy. Sometimes I think she pushes too much because it's obvious that the tough thing doesn't necessarily come natural to her. She's kind of the antithesis of Phyllis whereas Stafford was essentially playing herself. 

And it became fairly obvious how different Gina is from Phyllis in this interview (from mannerisms to the way she speaks)

• Members

Prior to today's scenes I did think that Summer/Phyllis may have gotten past this eventually , but I do think it's too soon for them to be hugging each other, and Phyllis acting like she forgives Summer. She did that within minutes of finding out that Billy slept with Summer, and after Summer insulted her mother once again, by saying that Billy is a pig and that he and Phyllis deserved each other. I think that Phyllis should have been allowed to be mad at her for a while, and in a "I can't stand to be around you type of way."   

Plus, I find Summer very unlikeable and at this point an unnecessary character. I think that her actions have been awful and I don't think she has chemistry with anybody on the show. Honestly, I wish she would leave town again and stay gone for a bit. 

• Members

Oh I agree with you completely. This story has been terrible from top to bottom and the reveal was rushed and underwhelming. 

Phyllis being so quick to forgive Summer wasn't even a bit believable but at least it seems like Phyllis is still angry and does' trust her moving forward. 

I don't know, the writing on this show is beyond terrible. Hard to make sense or care that much about any of it. 

• Members

I wholeheartedly agreed. I loved that Ashley ripped Jack and everyone at the breakfast. The only person at the table who has a right to be 100% mad is Abby - because she was used. Dina, Billy and Kyle all have sins. And then there's Traci, who still can't admit that her silence last Christmas set this thing in motion. The fact that Traci also has not ripped into Kyle is appalling, but it kind of plays into the whole gender bias - it's easier for Traci to forgive the men, but not a woman. 

However, I do understand why the writers have everyone against Ashley - because Ashley needs to feel isolated because it's the only way to explain what will happen with ED's status. 

• Members

Sorry, but I just disagree with so much of this. Y&R has many problems, but it doesn’t look cheap, it’s not poorly directed, an$ the lighting isn’t a problem.

Michael  Mealor has been overpraised as Kyle, but he does not suck. Your hyperbole is ridiculous.

I’m Team Ashley and I can’t stand the sanctimonious Abbotts, but the writing for Ashley alone puts it far above pedestrian.

Criticism is fine, but IMO you are way over the top.

I agree with all of this. The writers seem to hav3 forgotten the Summer they gave us for 6 months. Now she’s this fragile little angel who was used? Just no.

And yeah, we’ll get a pregnancy, but I hate that cliche.

Archived