Y&R October 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have to disagree. High production values are embedded in Y&R's DNA, much more than most other soaps, and to see them deteriorate over the years is disconcerting. Yes, they have deteriorated. Ever since Lily's trial a few months ago, I have seen a change in lighting, sets, shooting -- a change Mal Young himself acknowledged at the time (though he sold it as improvement). Some scenes (not all) were actually approaching GL-end-of-days quality IMO. You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but as somebody who was attracted to Y&R's filmic visuals and lighting from the start, in my eyes the fall in quality is really noticeable.

• Members

Thanks for sharing. Interesting that Gina thinks Billy is Phyllis' soulmate. I would pick Jack, but her countering with Jack being her wisdom -- I liked that a lot. Gina has brought out more layers to Phyllis than I knew actually existed.

• Members

And I think Stafford would say Nick. I think for both actresses it comes down to who they enjoyed working with the most, not what was on the page. Because I'd agree that Jack is her soulmate, she's certainly Jack's.

Tell it!

Yep, Y&R's production values are what drew me to the show. It just looked so different from any else on daytime. Now it just looks like more of the same. 

• Members

I think Gina clearly loves working with JT (and I think she's wrong about Billy), but to her credit she is full of praise for Jack/Bergman. I think she sold the pairing with Jack from Day 1 and I always appreciated that. No matter how bad the show gets I think she's been shockingly good in the role.

• Members

Chris, I was focused on the show. That’s why I disagreed with your comments. No one said you weren’t allowed an opinion, and I never questioned your right to post.  Your comments here are ironic, since you’re now suggesting this board isn’t the place for me. 

I responded to what you said about the show. You responded to me. In your words, “focus on the show.”

I know all about Y&R’s high production values, and I know they’re not what they once were. They’re STILL better than the other soaps. A case could be made that B&B is better production-wise, but a 30 minute show has a lot less to worry about. I’ve watched Y&R for decades, so I know it’s not the same. I miss the music cues, too.

The budget isn’t there any longer, and you know that. I’m not happy about the cuts, either, but expecting things to look as they did 20 and 30 years ago is unrealistic.

And no, nothing looks like GL-end-of-days. I’m frankly tired of hearing “It looks like Peapack.” None of the daytime soaps look that bad. 

• Members

So Billy remodeled the CEO office at Jabot and never noticed the wall safe? It would’ve made more sense to find it somewhere in the Abbott living room.

Where were Mrs. Martinez and Kelly the nurse? Dina looked like she was on her own to me as relatives wafted in and out.

Sharon’s bed and mattress discussion with Rey was cringeworthy. He didn’t know what size bed he bought? Huh??? Who is that stupid?

• Members

“Your hyperbole is ridiculous” and “your criticism is too over the top” is not talking about the show. Going forward I know to mute you, so thank you for that. 

ANYWAYS, I finished this week up and it’s a damn shame Eileen Davidson is leaving just as they throw Ashley a bone. I hate the way the women are all neutered today, even Jill. It’s nice to see a ruthless female character in their business stories again. 

Seeing more of Kyle with Dina and then Mariah and Lola, he works better there than he does in the business scenes with the rest of the Abbott’s. He just gets lost in those scenes which was particularly notable in the fallout from Ashley’s reveal. The secret reveal with Dina intrigues me. I’m curious just how outrageous this secret will be.  

• Members

Because they give them nothing to do while giving  the older characters the drama

Yeah outside of his scenes with Dina Kyle is not good in the scenes with the Abbotts. And the writing for Kyle in those scenes is horrible. Were we supposed to buy the sudden regret of aiding Billy's gambling addiction after a month of hearing him state he didn't care all the way up to a day or two prior? Mal been flip flopping heavily to wrap up this Billy mess and then acting like we're supposed to forget what we just watched. 

I will say I didn't see Dina's secret all all coming and for once it was actually a twist.  Didn't make sense but it wasn't something I saw predicted. 

• Members

Here are just some of the ways the "Ashley Amendment" makes no sense:

1. When Jabot went public and Victor became the majority stockholder (while John was alive), did Ashley own the product lines making the rest of the company worthless?  Should Victor have had to pay her out at that time?

2.  When Jabot was sued for the tainted face cream, did Ashley own the product lines making her personally liable for the losses?

3.  When the haircare line was being developed by other chemists, did Ashley own that product line too?

4.  When there were multiple court cases with Gloria over John's will, did Ashley own the product line? 

Archived