Y&R July 2017 Discussion

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It seems pretty clear to me that TPTB consider MiM to be one of their stars.  They just have to work on rounding out her character better - like giving her a friend.  @ajsp35801 Chelsea would be a good choice.  And apart from her love for Devon and rivalry with Lily, what else is driving her?  For her show to be a success?  From what we heard yesterday, it already is in syndication and apparently quite popular.

If they would have played up the rivalry with Lily prior to her encouraging Juliet with the lawsuit, it would have made a lot more sense.  Instead, the writers kind of left it up to the audience to assume that was the reason.  A few confrontations with Lily, Lily calling her out or Lily antagonizing Hils about her divorce while her life was wonderful with loving husband, kids, etc would have done the trick. Hence, Hilary gets involved for payback.  

This Newman fight caught on video is small potatoes, IMO and I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that Nick and Victor were at odds with each other.  Wasn't it pretty common knowledge?  For weeks, it seemed like Nick was telling anyone that listened how shitty his father was.  

• Members

One of the best things Sussman has done was the reset of Sharon. It's sad how some fans [and I see this online and on the other board, not saying anyone here thinks this] think Sharon should be the bonkers bed-hopper some hacks turned her into. What we're seeing now is how the real Sharon should be. Some sadly think the Sharon who's written as nuts, sleeping with everyone and causing drama is the 'real' Sharon.

• Members

What we are seeing is the Sharon that we saw on the show from 1994 to about 2001/2 before she vanished for a few months.

I've always thought that being hit by a car after she caught Nick with Grace would have caused some unseen head injury that altered her moods ..  would have been easier/more plausible then being bipolar, etc.  Or even just losing her daughter cassie and never properly mourning her would have been better.

• Members

Ehh, I don't think Sharon defending the Newmans or kicking Hilary out of the coffeehouse on their behalf made a lick of sense considering what they have put her through and how they have treated her. Also Sharon Case has alluded to being bored as hell herself. While I don't think we ever need to see crazy, nutty Sharon again what she is doing now is boring as hell. 

I also don't get the notion that the show loves MiM or Hilary. She basically just moves around the show as a foil to their favorites with zero motivation or reason for doing so. They certainly like her being a punching bag but I don't get the love since they haven't bothered to actually round out the character. Like on today's show, what is the purpose of Hilary going after Lily again? Kicking Lily while she's down for no reason is supposed to endear Hilary to who? They just use her because they don't want their more golden characters to dirty their hands so they have her do it and never give a reason for it. She's on a bit, but I don't see the benefit in it.  Every other week someone is wondering if they're setting up a "who killed Hilary" story. 

And Lily and Cane are still fine. DG posted pictures of the family behind the scenes yetserday they were all taping on the Lane set together and seemed fine so Lily still isn't leaving or breaking up with him obviously. 

• Members

That's exactly how it should have been handled.  But that takes a competent writer. LOL

And to Vizion, I'd take boring Sharon over the hot mess they gave us for a long time. Sharon Case can suck it up and do her job. This Sharon is much more appealing and likeable.

• Members

Why does it have to be either/or?  I don't want her crazy or a hot mess but she could also be doing a lot more than she currently is. I don't get why the bar is set so low for the writers. "Well she isn't crazy so I'll accept whatever" or for Hilary it's "well she has no motivation or POV or friends or real reason for her actions but she's on all the time."  

Really there is too much great tv being created on too many platforms to be accepting the bare minimum from soaps. 

• Members

I do think TPTP sees Mishael Morgan as a star. No doubt. But I also think they see Hilary as a temporary character. It feels they are riding the wave of the actress with no intention of having her stick around long term despite her going into YEAR FIVE. Hilary has no ties to canvas and very little depth or POV. This is not how Y&R writes for characters they  want long term. She's written similarly to a guest appearance, i.e. Ray Wise's Ian Ward. 

Archived