Y&R July 2017 Discussion

• Members

As I said in the other thread: I can totally believe Alden may have quit/been fired due to her and Sussman's work being micromanaged by Sony or the network from the beginning. I don't believe it had to do with strife between them. IIRC they came on together and are tight. That hot take seems to come from the crazy dude with the blog who worships Maria Bell.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It would certainly fit with the changes in the show, though. In a matter of months they appear to have gone from rehabilitating Victor, Phyllis and Billy and repairing Vic's marriage to Nikki to going all in on more Evil Victor (I don't even know why he and Nick are fighting this time), Nikki's out the door for the 99th time, and Philly are fúcking again.

• Members

Call me crazy, but w asnt one of the reasons y and R stayed number 1 by a wide margin in the late 80s through the 90s was because of consistency and little to nko interference from the big wigs upstairs?  

I think a writing team needs at least 6 to 9 months of no interference when they first start...unless they are veering too off course.  If you interfere too much, it can affect story, etc.

• Members

Yeah, but they had William Bell Sr. at the helm back then.  Who knows better than the show's creator?  Bill Bell Sr. was coming from a place of authority that no other writers following him in Y&R's history would have.

Also, from the time that Y&R hit #1, that was probably even more leverage for Bell Sr.  If the big wigs got too up in his face, he could probably take Y&R to another network. I mean does anybody think that NBC would've turned down the chance to get Y&R at that time??

Bill Bell Sr. always understood the value of his product, which is why he made sure to properly archive episodes of Y&R from Day 1.

I could imagine that he would've walked into meetings with the execs at the network with that swagger of knowing the value of what he had to offer.

• Members

@DramatistDreamer @Soaplovers Yes Bell carried a ton of weight. CBS finally got back to #1 daytime overall after slipping behind ABC for almost a decade. It's also the reason why CBS dumped Capitol after only 5 years for B&B AND gave it the prime slot by pushing ATWT back a half hour. Bell was so influential that CBS put up with terrible SFT-like clearance rates as many affiliates wouldn't carry B&B. I remember living in Seattle and B&B debuted there in fall of 94 and not even on CBS station initially.

• Members

Bill Bell stated that he would politely read network notes and then continue to do his own thing. Think he learnt that from Irna...

As for the Ashby's money problems,this is a direct result of making everybody supposedly mega rich - it removes a viable obstacle in story plotting.

• Members

Internet working so playing catchup on the week.

So...WHOA...Mariah and...Tessa?  That's different.

Like the Hilary vs Nick scenes. Loving all the Cane story. The transition from the start of this week with him being smug to him being blackballed and blackmailed has been seamless and I feel no sympathy. 

Juliet and Charlie?

THis might be a loaded thought? Is it me or does it feel like with the Hilary/Nick, Reed/Mattie drama, Cane v Vicky that maybe someone is setting the Winters to be a family to be reckoned with finally and in competition with the Newman?

• Members

Yes. Add in Devon confronting Nick over harassing Hilary and Devon getting the last word. That was kinda shocking. At least, for me. Plus the conversation Neil and Devon had about the family company and that made over HWG office set, I think you're right. That set made the company more  real and tangible. Winters finally have a company and stakes. Something to fight for and over.  I hope it pans out. Now they need to get Neil mingling with his contemporaries in business. KSJ is so good at that stuff. 

• Members

Yeah I'm not buying the Ashby's financial woes lol

I think it's more along the lines of trust though that Cane would take the money like that, and I hope they play it this way.

I really hope Kay Alden isn't gone, and how could Sally do something like that? 

• Members

They're not acting like they're broke, they are worried that Cane won't ever find a new, high-income job especially now that he has another kid on the way. What shocks me is that Charlie - son to a corporate manager and a model - has a summer job.

Archived