Y&R July 2017 Discussion

• Members

Y&R seems to have realized that uber-wealthy people don't often make for the best, most sustaining drama, you're going to run out of ideas when there are no money issues. Some of the best drama in TV, films and on stage is from people driven by want, and financial want is one of the biggest drivers of drama.

For years, I've been complaing about the lack of working class and the dearth of middle class characters/families on Y&R and some responded that the show was an escape and an escape was supposed to be all about fantasy, not reality. Uhm, er...okay, but we'll see how long you can sustain drama focusing exclusively on the wealthy.

Please register in order to view this content

There was a simpler way of executing this hush-money narrative and one that would've extended the suspense a bit more, without the need to re-write the Ashby's financial history.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I see what you mean.  From a visual standpoint, it's tough to muster empathy for characters who are supposed to be middle- or lower class and beset with financial problems when they're strolling around town with perfect hair and makeup and designer duds you aren't likely to find even at Ross Dress for Less.  At the very least, you see that and think, "Well, maybe you COULD pay your damn bills if you hadn't bought that hella expensive coat!"

• Members

That's not shocking to me at all. All the kids used to have summer jobs. Vikki worked in the mail room at NE as a teen alongside Brandon Collins, whose parents I felt were also wealthy. 

+1

Cane was just bidding on an expensive car with lily saying he'd just  purchased one and trying to buy lily a dress for $10k. It's irresponsible. Now if they played that angle then it'd all make sense.  Or if the guy had asked for $500k with them having $50K in their checking, $100K in kids tuition funds. $200K in savings. Cane selling his rod  under market value and him not being able to liquidate assets without lily's in person approval, I'd buy it. 

• Members

+1

This

It's just hard. I think if done right it would be OK but it's just hard to believe. I like soaps having realism but I don't need to be depressed watching lol. It's why I often get tired of the UK soaps.

Thank you. This.

• Members

Chelsea 2.0. stays in peril even though I still don't give a sh-t about the business as it doesn't drive story at all. 

I don't give a damn about anyone's job nowadays except for the folks at Beauty of Nature b/c it is the only business that drives story. Such a shame as Y&R used to be one of the few shows to excel at work related stories. 

Archived