Y&R seems to have realized that uber-wealthy people don't often make for the best, most sustaining drama, you're going to run out of ideas when there are no money issues. Some of the best drama in TV, films and on stage is from people driven by want, and financial want is one of the biggest drivers of drama.

For years, I've been complaing about the lack of working class and the dearth of middle class characters/families on Y&R and some responded that the show was an escape and an escape was supposed to be all about fantasy, not reality. Uhm, er...okay, but we'll see how long you can sustain drama focusing exclusively on the wealthy.:huh:  

There was a simpler way of executing this hush-money narrative and one that would've extended the suspense a bit more, without the need to re-write the Ashby's financial history.

I never enjoy money problem stories on soaps because it just isn't believable for the most part. But I'm all for true class divisions, but I roll my eyes anytime someone mentions "money problems".

1 hour ago, KMan101 said:

I never enjoy money problem stories on soaps because it just isn't believable for the most part. But I'm all for true class divisions, but I roll my eyes anytime someone mentions "money problems".

I see what you mean.  From a visual standpoint, it's tough to muster empathy for characters who are supposed to be middle- or lower class and beset with financial problems when they're strolling around town with perfect hair and makeup and designer duds you aren't likely to find even at Ross Dress for Less.  At the very least, you see that and think, "Well, maybe you COULD pay your damn bills if you hadn't bought that hella expensive coat!"

Edited by Khan

7 hours ago, Aback said:

They're not acting like they're broke, they are worried that Cane won't ever find a new, high-income job especially now that he has another kid on the way. What shocks me is that Charlie - son to a corporate manager and a model - has a summer job.

That's not shocking to me at all. All the kids used to have summer jobs. Vikki worked in the mail room at NE as a teen alongside Brandon Collins, whose parents I felt were also wealthy. 

1 hour ago, Khan said:

I see what you mean.  From a visual standpoint, it's tough to muster empathy for characters who are supposed to be middle- or lower class and beset with financial problems when they're strolling around town with perfect hair and makeup and designer duds you aren't likely to find even at Ross Dress for Less.  At the very least, you see that and think, "Well, maybe you COULD pay your damn bills if you hadn't bought that hella expensive coat!"

+1

Cane was just bidding on an expensive car with lily saying he'd just  purchased one and trying to buy lily a dress for $10k. It's irresponsible. Now if they played that angle then it'd all make sense.  Or if the guy had asked for $500k with them having $50K in their checking, $100K in kids tuition funds. $200K in savings. Cane selling his rod  under market value and him not being able to liquidate assets without lily's in person approval, I'd buy it. 

Edited by ajsp35801

Why wouldn't Cane simply ask Jill for a position at Chancellor Enterprise?  She knows what he did, so why not even mention her?

13 hours ago, Taoboi said:

THis might be a loaded thought? Is it me or does it feel like with the Hilary/Nick, Reed/Mattie drama, Cane v Vicky that maybe someone is setting the Winters to be a family to be reckoned with finally and in competition with the Newman?

I notice they had Devon confront Nick. Hilary not backing down from Nick. & Cane vs Vikki. I think they could add Neil in it, he use to date Vikki. & Victor use to be his boss. Then you add Reed, Mattie, & Charlie.

1 hour ago, Khan said:

+1

This

It's just hard. I think if done right it would be OK but it's just hard to believe. I like soaps having realism but I don't need to be depressed watching lol. It's why I often get tired of the UK soaps.

40 minutes ago, Ponds said:

Why wouldn't Cane simply ask Jill for a position at Chancellor Enterprise?  She knows what he did, so why not even mention her?

Thank you. This.

1 hour ago, Ponds said:

She knows it all? Even the Billy sabotage? She should be furious with him and offer him no job.

I don't understand why Cane & Lily doesn't have money. It's not like they were living the expensive life. & plus what happen to Lily modelling career. It's over already!!

Lily also can ask Devon/ Neil for a job.

Edited by MoTheGreat

2 hours ago, Ponds said:

That's the most sensitive thing he could do. I wish they would address it.

Chelsea 2.0. stays in peril even though I still don't give a sh-t about the business as it doesn't drive story at all. 

I don't give a damn about anyone's job nowadays except for the folks at Beauty of Nature b/c it is the only business that drives story. Such a shame as Y&R used to be one of the few shows to excel at work related stories. 

23 minutes ago, SteelCity said:

Does anyone else find Jordan incredibly boring? Him and those necklaces. He's got no facets to his personality.

Like Ravi he's been incredibly wasted and lacks being fleshed out.