Y&R July 2017 Discussion

• Members

With the writing if Hilary and the talk show/news show....to make it work...the show (alden/sussman)  should look to how bill bell wrote Leanna Love when her character got a talk show.  She was underhanded, fighting to keep the show going...etc.  I still recall her 'I hate men' chant she started....even inspiring Gina to finally go off on convict hubby Clint at the prison.

Of course, she was a vixen with a heart of gold...that was friends with Chase, Rex, and Jack.  So I agree Hilary needs a friend...maybe even someone like Ravi.  

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been trying to decide whether it's indifference, laziness or intentional.  With the Dina and the Cane stories, there seems to be an ever growing focus in the writing (likely because that is where the interest has gravitated) but there are still plenty of moments of haphazard writing on the show, especially in the execution. 

• Members

I wish they'd bring Aunt Jack back into Hilary's orbit. The fight video should've warranted a drop-by with Aunty squealing with his best GF over her making the Newmans squirm. (Who can't visualize that scen?),And wouldn't Jack have been all over Hilary's involvement with Juliet - helping tarnish B&S? I love the Jack/Hilary interactions because that relationship allows Hilary to drop her guard with a safe, nonjudgmental friend, who's done a lot of shady things in himself. I think the writers are missing a lot of logical scenes. 

• Members

I agree. That was unnecessary on the writers part.

I like him too. He doesn't take me out of the scene which is a good thing. He's quite engaging. They just have to write to his strengths and let him develop right now.

I completely forgot the Jack/Hillary friendship. I agree with you too. 

Cane also has some [!@#$%^&*] nerve going to Victoria like that. But I love it. Cane has been this engaging, in, well ever.

Shallow note - Victoria's doctor was hot!

• Members

I haven't read any spoilers, but when he called Victoria a "stone cold bitch" that took me by surprise. DG is actually doing good work and the writing for him is making him interesting. If they wrote Cane like this from the beginning, instead of a romantic lead, he would have been much better

• Members

Oh yeah, definitely agreed on the first point. I was thinking more of early stages Michael (without all the creepiness), and a little of Brad. Cane is about to get a whole lot more interesting now, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I can't wait. Funny thing is, when Juliet first arrived on screen I didn't care much at all. Who knew that one character could impact so much of the canvas, and the actress/character would grow on me so well. 

He's definitely a bit stiff, but, like the actor who plays Charlie I feel that both are destined to be excellent leading man one day. Don Diamont (Brad Carlton) was never the best actor, but he ended up on Y&R for a considerably long time.

Edited to add: Overall this has been a good week for Y&R. Stories continue to move, and interesting developments came about.

• Members

At first I thought the girl playing Mattie was the better actor of the twins, but she's regressed and the kid playing Charlie has improved a lot. I can see her thinking when she delivers her lines, and he's much more natural.

I think the actor playing Jordan has improved a lot, too. 

Why shouldnt Noah listen to Nick and do a slow rollout of the Underground chain? Isn't Nick providing the capital? Noah's description of the chain's path to success was hilariously simple.

Mariah is written like a dolt -- inviting Tessa and Noah on her music fest weekend. One day she's worried about Devon loving her. A day later she's giving long glances at Tessa. And why is Noah so excited about flying on the private jet? Don't the Newmans gave private jets? This show never remembers who has money, or how much.

Just like Cane and Lily worrying constantly about their finances and putting food on the table. Ugh. Already they're in financial distress? They don't exactly live in a mansion. Why not call Jill for a job or a loan?

I enjoy the Cane story, but sometimes I'd like to hear a line of dialogue thrown in to acknowledge some of the things we're thinking. How about "I could call Jill for a job but I need to do this in my own."? That's all it would take.

• Members

Right down to his slumped shoulders, Charlie is doing and saying 'teenage-ry' things and I appreciate that.  We often complain when the teen characters are seen acting like middle aged people, instead of adolescents trying to find their identities and find their way. Teenagers don't always 'act right' or say the right things, some mumble and trip over words, hold their head down. I find that part to be realistic.

And the actor playing Charlie didn't have much to do in the past, unlike Mattie who seemed to have an active storyline from the very beginning (where she was obviously headed toward a summer dating thing with Reed), only now that Cane's collapse in work/relationship has been revealed does the actor playing Charlie actual have material to work with and I think he's doing pretty well and hopefully he continues to do well and get better.

I also think that Jordan has improved. There's a definite learning curve for soap acting because there's a lot of material and the rehearsal time and direction provided to actors is not what it used to be and this is probably tough on an actor who is relatively new to daytime, but the actor playing Jordan seems to be getting the hang of things. His romantic interactions with Hilary can still be a little stiff but I think that most of his other scenes- with Hilary as well as with other actors who play Lily, Chelsea and even Devon have come across pretty well.

It could be interesting to see how Jordan reacts to Hilary's actions with the audition video (although the set up for this story could have/should have been written much better).

Archived