Y&R July 2017 Discussion

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Very true. The show has younger characters but they don't all mingle with each other. See Ravi. 

+1

That's what I see too. They use Hilary to build up characters they want viewers to love. Sharon was the perfect example. But as I stated, I think they do like the actress. But only in the role of uber bitch and nothing else.  Despite her being the best one in her age range (IMO), they just won't let her be what she could be for the show.  They'll keep fans Hilary  until she leaves.  

• Members

I think it's fair to say someone up there took duly note of DG's dislike of his current storyline... and made a point of ruining his character even more, just because! 

Please register in order to view this content

More often than not, writer cater to actors' tantrums... Well not this time. They must be fed up with his stans.

• Members

I'm still in a wait and see in regards to this Cane story. Yes while what Cane is currently is doing is low, it's not lower than faking your death and gaslighting your wife. I can't help but to think the show will eventually put Cane and Lilly back together once this story is over with. 

• Members

Cane has been written into a billion corners during DG's tenure but Y&R keeps him around even if it ruins every character in Cane's orbit.

Even if they did it would still be slim for Hilary to have a (female) friend.

Y&R's ruined Mariah & Hilary, Abby is too stiff, Tessa is too lame and Chelsea is firmly in the Nick/Sharon/Victoria age group.

Juliet is/was a possibility provided she doesn't become Carmen Mesta 2.0.

• Members

Mariah is not ruined! The show wanted fans to love her and wrote to that end very heavily. It has paid huge dividends IMO. Whether she can carry Sharon's mantle as "traditional" young female heroine remains to be seen. Her lack of chemistry with male costars is the only thing holding her back. 

Much as I love Mishael Morgan, I agree on Hilary really being ruined. But this is exactly what the show wants for that character. I used to think it was incompetence. It's not. This is deliberate. 

Abby could be much more. I think she'd pull off the spoiled rich princess very well. They need to stop trying to make her a heroine. It's not in MOs wheelhouse. Besides, with her ties to canvas, I think Abby could get away with all the things they have Hilary doing without generating the same level of hate. Try her as a bitch. 

Agree on Chelsea. She's being played as older than she probably is. That might be set in stone in viewers minds. 

Agree on Tessa too. They need to do more with her.  But it's clear they want us to love her though. 

Lily was ruined a long time ago. But if they send her kids packing and tear her from Cane, she can be reborn into anything. 

Juliet is either Carmen or Isabella. One or the other. Lol

• Members

I meant ruined in the sense that the chance for Mariah and Hilary to become frenemies has passed. ITA with you about Mariah otherwise.

With Hilary it's more complex. MM has definite star quality & the unsung ability to elevate lesser writing/scenes/actors but the lack of character investment in Hilary by the writers is annoying. Hevon is the one younger couple that has the potential to have legs but since they're not afforded as many opportunities as their peers they're stuck trying to make an untenable love square happen when it would better to just separate the quad altogether and focus on them as individual characters. 

ITA that Abby could make a great bitch. The problem is MO overcompensates for bad writing & chemistry free pairings so the character comes across as unbearably shrill. Abby's stories would also work a lot better if there was an actual infrastructure at Newman instead of her randomly yelling at Scotty and/or Victoria.

It would also help if Y&R would show (not tell) Victoria as a businesswoman with Victor at Newman (not just Brash N Sassy) so the sisterly 'rivalry' doesn't seem one sided and allow Abby to actually confront Nikki & her siblings about their treatment of her (without the show immediately undercutting her to make her seem paranoid).

Chelsea's always been a plot point with a uterus. Since that isn't gonna change there's little use investing in the character. 

The actress who plays Tessa is too weak to make the material work. The character should be way more angry and scrappy than she is now. The Tessa Y&R has written is like Courtney Love, the Tessa onscreen is Wednesday Addams meets Little Orphan Annie.

The less said about Lily the better.

Juliet (as a character) has tons of potential & LA could develop into a complex antiheroine but the writers have done her no favors by isolating her. But that's partially because it never feels as if the writers have made up their mind about the character. After six months on the show (and a considerable amount of story) she's essentially the same character she was in the beginning except pregnant.

• Members

+1 on it all! 

Now I will say another problem I see for Mariah is that I don't think demos are feeling her. I think she goes over better with older viewers as opposed to the age range the actress is in. Her lack of chemistry with males could be the reason for that. 

I, honestly, do not understand why, other than the obvious, the show steadily refuses to let Hevon prosper as a couple. It's so odd to me. They had so much potential but the show writes against them...and Hilary for that matter. It's frustrating to the point where I feel like taking a break from this show. 

I had this idea where I wanted Noah to fall into a pregnant Juliet's arms after he walks in on mariah and Tessa in bed. He can't be the lone loser in that silly orbit. But I fear she's destined for cane while lily and Hilary fight over Jordan until Devon outs him for something heinous. 

• Members

Just catching up:

Yay Jordan is back. I missed that dude.

Cane at Jabot actually sounded like a good idea. I bet he will end up at Newman.

I agree that the Tessa vs. Hillary fell flat.

Sharon needs to STFU, definitely did not need her temper tantrum there.

Juliet looked good in that swimsuit. I want her and Hilary to be friends, because the actresses work well together. And Juliet needs to stay away from Cane's son lol

Didn't really need that Lily commercial segment - lol at Hilary doing a much better job

That Dina/Ashley/Jack/Graham dinner scene was good, and good use of pop culture/dialogue - sounded authentic. The depression angle actually sounds good. Mental health is a HUGE issue.

NO to Nick and Hillary. But those scenes were good. Morrow was also good

Please register in order to view this content

Also I like Bryton too.

This week has been good - everyone seems refreshed. I think the reason I enjoy the show is because I stay away from spoilers. Better to just let the show take its course for me. I've done the same for all my other shows and it's made viewing so much better

Hillary ruined is an absurd comment. I don't need Hillary to have a family on the show. I like having these singular characters with no ties to anyone. It makes the show more interesting. Remember when Michael got a family? That didn't go so well....

Archived