Y&R July 2017 Discussion

• Members

Since neither twin seems to know anyone in GC (see Reid despite major ties), I fully expect Juliet to b*ng 'head down' Charlie. As if Charlie/Mattie wouldn't have gotten the name of the woman who is pregnant with their sibling either from overhearing Lily/Cane (or slip up) or searching web aka press release on Juliet's hiring, social media, etc 

I'm very glad they extended the two stories that are working - Dina and Cane. It's been obvious for a couple of weeks that they didn't expect them to go this far, but they are making strides. I figured Jesse the editing guy was going to emerge - that's a huge secret that will impact a lot of characters when it comes to light. Billy, Lily, Hilary, Juliet and Victoria - all lost something because of it. 

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My problem with the Hilary audition video is not that it will step all over Lily's audition (that part is pure soap) but that the action wasn't grounded in anything. It was essentially a "mustache twirling" moment.

Had Hilary been searching for a way to boost her brand simultaneously with The Hilary Hour and then decides that the best way to do this is by linking her "brand" to an endorsement that reflects who she is and therefore the show with a product tie-in and decides that the product/company that Lily is looking to do a commercial for would be perfect for Hilary's 'brand', that would be a logical basis for her to usurp Lily's opportunity to do a nationwide commercial.

If Hilary had decided that her show had run out of steam after the Julie Chen interview and fears that the 'buzz' from the Newman video won't last for long and the show needs the security of a major endorsement and so much the better if she can be their spokesperson, this would provide further drive for her seemingly underhanded actions.

But we aren't provided any basis for her actions other than her desire to 'stick it' to Lily.

Another thing that has stuck in my craw about the whole GC Buzz turned The Hilary Hour saga is that the writers should've made it a bare-bones operation that Hilary built from scratch with little to no help from Devon, rather than an entity that got handed over in a divorce settlement.  

If Hilary had built this up from the very basic bottom to a juggernaut basically alone, then it would cast into sharp relief why she'd be willing to scratch, claw, and scheme to keep this show relevant and the shenanigans she pulled with Lily's audition material would take on resonance. 

Folks may not have liked her actions but at least there would be some semblance of understanding, perhaps even a little sympathy for what she did.

That is how you write a vixen with heart.

• Members

Bingo. 

The writing for Hilary is intentionally villainous. They don't want a vixen with heart that fans could love. They want a villain that fans loathe so they can use her to build up characters they want viewers to root for. It suits their agenda to keep folks hating hilary. 

He's devolving. Could be great story if it wasn't so jarring. I think Nick needed Victor to have done something unforgivable to him recently to turn to this. 

• Members

@DramatistDreamer since 2 posters already quoted your post, I won't do it again

Please register in order to view this content

But I think what you said is absolutely perfect.  And none of that would be too hard to write.  It appears as though SSM and MY have plenty of writers on staff soooo...the only conclusion is

+1

So I really like the actor playing Charlie.  He's a very handsome young man, has charisma galore and while he's a little green, I can see him growing into a good actor. 

Archived