Y&R July 2017 Discussion

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I got that sense when they had that scene where Billy supposedly saw them through the glass B&S door just as Victoria was patting Cane on the chest and proclaiming he was a good man (this was before the deposition).  

It was a very oddly blocked scene, almost meant to convey some type of weird intimacy, but not quite. And of course, made even more odd that the touching happened at the precise moment that Billy enters the B&S office/lab area, close enough to see them but not close enough to hear exactly what's going on.

• Members

I don't think they'd ever seriously do Victoria and Cane.  Lane ain't seriously breaking up anytime soon. 

I can't stand MO as Abby, she has anti-chemistry with every man she is paired with or tested with.  HHK was the same way (though I found her a slightly more tolerable actress overall)

Well apparently Sony does if that shady survey they sent out was any indication. 

But none of the couples that Sally has created work. Devon/Mariah, Jordan/Hillary, Noah/Tessa, Sharon/Scott, bunch of boring others.  It's actually her biggest weakness and she fired the writers who really excelled at it like Kate Hall. But I'm fairly certain that Y&R has the oldest and whitest writing staff in daytime by a country mile since Sally took over so it's not a surprise that I find it dull, slow and outdated (including how they write romance and relationships).

• Members

They'll never seriously do Vikki and anyone but Billy much like they haven't seriously done Sharon and anyone but Nick in 20 years. But I do think the show is committed to Billy vs Cane as rivals. I just think they want to use him as a romantic rival with Billy as well. 

• Members

Whether or not Mariah has been propped in her story with Hilary can be debated, but for me, Mariah has seemed like a loser for a long time.

She is continually defensive with Hilary when discussing Devon, and she can't shut down Hilary with one line the way Hilary can with her. It's embarrassing to watch Mariah confront Hilary to tell her that "Devon wants me, not you." I mean, UGH. It makes Mariah seem DESPERATE. THIS is propping???

And then on Friday's show, Tessa confronts Hilary and makes a COMPLETE fool of herself. What does Mariah do? Tells Tessa she really [!@#$%^&*] Hilary down. WTF?

Either the actress playing Tessa screwed up that confrontation with Hilary or the writers are intentionally making Mariah and Tessa come across as stupidly star-crossed.

Btw, I'm fine with Mariah in a relationship with a female. I just can't stand Tessa or her constantly blinking eyes. 

• Members

@ranger1rg I saw those scenes with Tessa coming in on Mariah vs Hilary round 78 in less than 2 episodes. They're arguing is just overkill IMO. I hate it.  

And yes, that scene was designed for Tessa to win with Hilary slinking away defeated. Now whether it came across that way is  another conversation altogether. I'm fairly certain it was to show how Mariah and Tessa are stronger together. Tessa gives Mariah confidence and strength whereas Devon makes her insecure and weak, i.e she's better with Tessa. At least that's what I gathered. 

As for the propped part, the entire dynamic between the two comes across for viewers to root for Mariah. They almost left no option but to root for her  hence majority of  viewers seem to be doing just that.  When you've got 95% of online viewers saying Hilary doesn't "deserve" anything, Mariah should have her life including Devon, GCBuzz, and even down to Hilary's clothes, I don't think that's happenstance. That's exactly what the writing told them. The writing is slanting heavily in Mariah's favor, ergo the term propped. 

• Members

@ajsp35801 I'm not sure about 95% Team Cassiah over Hilary. Not sure why they decided to backtrack and have the incredibly forced and crude 2 day exchange. It only reaffirmed that both actresses are uncomfortable with that type of scene. Unlike the sparks that fly between MM/CK, but I've always said that goes back to the actors being friends off-screen and they view it as fun. 

• Members

That's my rough estimate. Lol. But the overwhelming majority of FB is Team Mariah. Twitter seems the exact opposite though. 

Crude is the exact wording for it. I'm assuming Hilary's line about the kitchen floor was a call back to an interview MiM did in 2014 where she said Hevon had the kitchen floor type of love. But it missed the mark. She sounded pathetic and disgusting.  Then Mariah (and Tessa) talking about this chemistry we have never even seen onscreen seemed pathetic and juvenile. The writing for the  entire exchange was unsophisticated and sophomoric. God, when will this be over! 

• Members

I will thank SSM for giving us the warm, compassionate Sharon again. 

The Nick/Nikki/Vick scene where Nick wanted to make things good with them was spot-on and even better with Victoria standing up to Nick that she has different feelings about Victor. 

Based on that preview, I wouldn't mind exploring Nick/Hilary. MM added to the Newman family could provide a huge, much needed fresh face to the same ole same ole. 

Archived