Y&R July 2017 Discussion

• Members

It was way too heavy to not be intentional. Mariah was who we were supposed to root for.  I've watched soaps way too long to mistake writer's intent. I know there is sometimes a gap between writer's intent vs actor's portrayal vs how it all comes across but this was one time where I think it was indisputable what feelings they were trying to invoke. 

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bryton has gotten a lot of play in at least the last several years, though. And he can't quite make it to where Mishael Morgan can. After a certain point things stop become systemic issues and begin to also transform into self-fulfilling prophecy onscreen. I've seen a lot of people say they just don't buy him as a grown-up. I can and I think he still has possibilities, but I can see the complaint. I just don't think his issues can or should be offloaded onto Camryn Grimes, who couldn't buy major airtime before December.

That's a fair take, but I think the show's glidepath is still back to Devon and Hillary.

• Members

She did. It's been hit or miss since though, unfortunately. I don't know whether I can say if it was worse or better before (I wasn't watching as regularly during this time-frame). The back and forth with Neil and Devon was slightly insulting so I'll go with ... better ... LOL

• Members

I never offloaded the perceived issues that folks have with Bryton onto Camryn. However, you offloaded the issues folks have with her onto him. Which was the only reason I inserted myself into the conversation. Otherwise, I would have let it pass. I realize it's popular here to dislike Bryton. I'm accustomed to it. Lol.

I also think the show is headed back to Devon and Hilary which is why you have Hevon fans, myself included, frustrated that instead of centering them, the show centered Mariah/Hilary with her going back and forth between them and them barely sharing scenes with each other. They seem headed for a reunion very soon. Do we see them sharing scenes  building to that? No. We get day after day of Mariah vs Hilary fighting over him while he's sometimes not on. I find it atypical for the genre. 

I've gone on record as saying that she was written horribly last year to absolve Neil of his crimes. My opinion has not changed on that. Lol

• Members

Careful ajsp, you can't acknowledge the institutional issues of the medium at SON without providing "solutions."  Otherwise certain posters will attempt to weakly diss you in paragraph form.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I think it's very weak to pretend that BJ has gotten long standing focus and failed at it. Yeah, the last couple of years, he has gotten far more focus. But he's yet to be given lead status in any of it. They always find a way to center someone else. Lol

• Members

I think Mariah was much more sexual and believable when she was introduced.

I do think she has been propped and de-sexualized by SSM in a this-is-the-ingenue-you-guys-should-root-for kind of way. It's just the way SSM was trained by Bell (or at least, what she gathered from him). Which is a real shame. We don't need Cassie 2.0.

• Members

The thing that de-sexualized Mariah was pining after Kevin for so long. They had great friend chemistry, but zero sexual chemistry. Tying her to him and turning her into Cassie were just two reasons Mariah lost the edge she had. I blame Chuckles Pratt for that. And JFP. She lost her "kick" long before Sally took over/

• Members

+1

And admitting she's propped is not a knock against CG. She doesn't write for Mariah. Its not her fault. 

That's obviously the story being that this week it all has been reduced down to who does Devon prefer to bang. Hilary hypersexualized vs Mariah's innocence. 

• Members

Yeah, that's because Grimes only started getting two minutes hate around here when Mariah infringed on Devon and Hillary. It's relevant. Let's not act like it wasn't brand new overnight, that's all I'm saying. The issues with Bryton's usage (which, as I said, are absolutely systemic but have become more than that for a number of people) and the writing for him, Hillary or that couple all pre-date Mariah and Grimes. They'll be there without her.

Again, is that Grimes' fault? Nah. It's the show. But again, she wasn't exactly eating air hand over fist a year ago. Running down her talent or right to prominence on the show is not necessary to advocate for that very reasonable take on the storyline. and true, I am lukewarm on Bryton so I could've been a bit less snippy about him to begin with, but I'm just over folks pretending Camryn Grimes has been some longstanding issue when everyone wanted more for her last year. Most of all, trying to angle gay jokes around some fanbase pettiness has me heated.

• Members

@slick jones, Mariah needed no help!  Two of the most asexual characters as a pairing?  That is too much to ask of an audience.  

I haven't watched in a minute, but I hope Mariah has chem with Tess because if she doesn't, no more attempts should be made to keep Cam and make Mariah relevant.  Sharon didn't need a retcon child!  

• Members

The kids in a bubble bugs me. First Reed/Mattie and then Phyllis 'meeting' Johnny and Katie? Are we supposed to believe ALL the years when Phyllis was their aunt (via Jack), Billy's kids never encounters Phyllis? C'mon. 

ITA with the Cassification of CG. Mariah was so much fun as a wild card. Pairing her with Kevin was so destructive. And they even had characters admit on screen that the sex was terrible. Instead of moving Mariah on to someone else, she became wrapped in plastic and left mooning over Kevin 'being his friend,' etc. Ugh. 

And if if someone doesn't believe it's the pairings not actors, see JT/GT steam v JT/AH iceberg.  

Archived