Y&R July 2017 Discussion

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am so happy that Mariah/Tessa are a go. I just wish Mariah was more like Mariah and less like Cassie. I swear she's even wearing Cassie's clothes now!

Fun tidbid: when CG was on the show as Cassie, I remember her stating in a SOD interview that her favorite TV show was The L-Word. I thought it was cool. Now she's playing a lesbian love story. She must be loving the material and I'm hoping it will showcase her talents. When Mariah confided in Tessa, CG was very good.

Mariah is the perfect choice for the story, because she is played by an actress that the audience is fond of but at the same time, she's not Cassie, so bigot viewers have even fewer reasons than ever to complain.

• Members

I agree. It was nice to see a new set.

+1 I agree completely Traci should be in the go-to advice giver that seems to be Ravi's role. Such a waste of him. He should be interacting with Abby, Noah, Mariah, Devon ... He should be pining for Abby, not Ashley, as Abby gets distracted by Scott and Zack ... it's not that hard Sally!

I agree we have no proof but it's hard not to make assumptions when she's only been with white men on the show.

• Members

I think Camryn Grimes has chemistry of some sort with almost everyone, male or female. It's not her fault they consistently tend to pair her with mediocre young talent. Chit is correct about that.

i just wish people wouldn't insinuate a lesbian storyline is the only thing she's good for as a petty online diss when she is perceived as infringing on their preferred couples and stories. Some things go beyond superfan territory into the tackiest and most ignorant of attacks in 2017. (Granted we've all been ragging poor Rikaart for years, but he never had popular pairings to threaten.)

• Members

That's assuming CG was ever a threat to any popular pairing. From where I sit, she wasn't . I don't care how much Mariah is propped, you got to generate some sexual chemistry for it to work. It's gotta be more than root for Mariah to win out and take it all cause we've told you to despise her rival and see her as undeserving and unworthy. 

As for blaming others amd labeling them mediocre, they can't be too bad since they have made it work with others just not with her. 

• Members

Okay, let's examine that. Because around here on this forum, let's be very real: CG/Mariah went from 'underused and underappreciated' to 'overpropped' overnight the moment she encroached on Devon and Hillary. That's just facts. And who else has she been paired with who has set the world on fire? I'll wait.

Me personally, I don't think Mariah is remotely a threat to Devon and Hillary and I personally don't care at all about having her with him. Not a way forward story-wise. I think the money and chemistry is with Devon and Hillary, even though I think the talented Mishael Morgan is doing most of the work and Bryton has never, ever fully come into his own as a male lead and IMO possibly never will. Good writing, bad writing, he never seals the deal without someone strong on his arm. But that's got nothing to do with Camryn Grimes or Mariah. Those problems and what the writers do or don't do with them are gonna exist with or without Mariah. I don't need to run down Grimes or Mariah to make the issues I have with the use of those separate characters or that separate couple seem more valid. It's a bigger issue and it doesn't need to use a talented actress as a scapegoat.

And the fact that it now seems to be treading close to a point of 'lol she has chemistry with no man needs to be a lesbian', well, I find that ignorant and unnecessary. Sorry not sorry.

• Members

The only reason I addressed this at all is because you called others mediocre to defend her. Which is the very thing you argue against doing to her all the while blaming Bryton for her failure. I'm sure he is the person you assumed I spoke about when I said those  characters made it work. But, I was also speaking  mostly about MiM, who is by no means mediocre talent. CG failed with her too where CK did not. And looking at what's onscreen, Devon/Mariah were never the focus. They were secondary to Hilary/Mariah dynamic. That's the relationship the show pushed and that's truly CGs biggest failure. 

With that said, let's examine. This is the first time Mariah has been leading and the center of story. Prior to now, she was playing supporting to Sharon or playing second banana to Summer and Abby. She was, at that time, underused and undervalued. Different story, different use, different writing, and different value has been placed on her with this new regime.  Just because she was undervalued and underutilized then doesn't mean she isn't propped now. 

As for the lesbian comment, I didn't make it so I'll let the person who did defend that. 

• Members

I don't think she has failed on the show, so I don't blame Bryton for that. I do think Bryton had issues all on his own well before they moved Grimes into his orbit. She has just become a convenient scapegoat with the couples angle now in the mix as well.

How is that her failure, though, if that couple, not her, was the show's explicit focus from the beginning (as it has been obvious to me since December, if perhaps not to others)? She's in the story to play spoiler. That's not carrying her own focus or couple. You want to talk failing to carry the next generation, call me when she's got Bryton's tenure in this role and long-standing story focus. Good writing or bad, he's not doing it. We'll be here in 2025 and people will be saying Bryton still hasn't gotten a shot.

And no, I don't find Morgan mediocre, I like her a lot. I think both women are integral to the show. I call it walking and chewing gum at the same time.

• Members

When everything she does is painted in a good light no matter what and her rival is painted in a bad light no matter what, yeah I call it propped. This show wrote Hilary into the ground so that folks would root for Mariah to win. While I admit that the bad writing for Hilary didn't start with this story, it sure did get progressively worse. The story was Hilary bad and wrong so she deserves nothing. Mariah good and right so she deserves happiness and Hilary's life. Every character she came into contact with onscreen repeated the "you're better that Hilary and better for Devon" line to Mariah and/or Devon. It bordered on the Billy!ManOfTheYear propping IMO. And you know how I felt about that. 

In retrospect, writing wise with this turn the show is taking, I totally get why they were so heavy with that rivalry with Hilary. The show wants us to love Mariah and root really hard for her happiness where she's finally found this special connection and is being put first by her partner albeit a female. I get that. But, because I'm a fan of Hilary, I still don't like how it came at her expense. The show damaged her even more and I have no faith that they'd ever put in the effort to repair said damage. 

Bryton has gotten long standing story focus? The guy whose character was trotted out 52 episodes a year for years to play angst to Lily's vagina. The guy that it took a full decade to finally get an onscreen romance. You act like Bryton has gotten JM level focus.  Or even the much maligned GR level focus. I think we all can agree that he has not. This is the most play he has gotten since VR left when he was a teen. 

I think you misread. I said that CG and MiM dynamic has been the focus.  Mariah/Hilary was centered and got far more airtime and play than Mariah/Devon ever did and more play than Devon/Hilary since their divorce. 

• Members

I can see where you're coming from, I don't entirely agree but thanks for explaining it. Wasn't looking to argue or anything just wondering what you considered being propped meant. I really don't think they deliberately wrote Hilary bad to make Mariah look better in comparison I think they just did a piss poor job at writing their 'rivalry' and clearly realized it didn't make sense and more or less abandoned it. But not trying to argue how you see it. Just my take on it.

Archived