DAYS: Huge Star Quits

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never enjoyed Carrie, but people rooted for her to win over Sami during the Reilly era of the 90's. They wanted her with that block of wood Austin. He wrote her as a schemer who wanted love desperately but also hated her sister and didn't mind messing with her happiness. She was moved truly to the center of the show as THE lead during Hogans run IMO, and given horrible character damaging run of crap under Higley through today.

Her leaving is going to put a huge hole in the canvas as it exists right now . This isn't a truly gifted producing and writing team like on Guiding Light when Zimmer left in the early 90's, who used the entire canvas and positioned the whole group as an ensemble with multiple lead storylines. This is Tomlin.

• Members

Ali will be back before the end. I don't think she'd have it any other way. She deserves the time off.

A smart show could compensate and would start prepping now. I'm not sure DAYS can. It would require at least two new women to be introduced to individually represent the dual elements of Sami's bifurcated nature - a Belle, maybe, and someone else who's more spiky. Not Stephanie, whose only good hour IMO was as a masculine race car driver and action junkie. (I never gave a [!@#$%^&*] about that beauty queen with the giant hair.) I once thought a Sarah Horton could do the job - someone career-driven and no-bullshit, which is something I thought the Sarah Brown Madison character could've done well - but honestly, everyone on this [!@#$%^&*] show is related.

• Members

I remember when people said Tomlin returning meant that the whole show would be about Rafe and Rafe/Sami. He didn't do that, because he realized it was best for the show.

He may be a bit of a hack but he has better instincts than he's given credit for. Without him, and NBC's lack of success in recent years, I don't believe DAYS would be on the air today.

• Members

People rooted for Carrie inspire of Carrie, because of Sami - not Carrie herself. IMO. Sami drove that story and she drove the Carrie/Austin relationship.

I'd say she was moved to the lead during her actual romance with Austin around 2002. He truly loved her and wanted to be with her. She was still lying and scheming. She was def a lead at this point, as she had been before, but this was the time of the "see Sami Brady finally get the wedding she deserves" and he left her weeping on the floor. She was immediately moved onto Brandon, had a fake romance with tony etc. the difference between this and the hogan era was that here were other leads. Hope was leading that baby swap. Jer had mar lead. By the time hogan got there hope and marlena had to be backburned and Sami was the sole lead. EJ was brought on by Jer as the male Sami and he was her leading man. Hogan also turned her into a heroine overnight and ignored the story that could have been done to make that happen. Heroine Sami was at her best - as was the show - during the baby storyline. Sami in that safe house with Rafe and then lying about adopting that baby was great. It was her as a heroine but her being Sami. Because you understood why she was lying. But she was still scheming. When she told ej the truth after grace died it was vendictive, done to hurt him - but it was also out of grief. Th confrontation with Nicole was amazing and made even do better by the fact that Sami had honestly befriended her. But the sydnapping and all that [!@#$%^&*] was awful and Sami was annoying and back to just being ejs victim. As awful as MM was as HW she did really nail Sami and specifically the Sami/Mar dynamic but there was no story. It was nice having Kristen back and having another lead on the show. There shouldn't be one lead ever.

I completely agree. About the two new women taking the lead spot. I think belle and Stephanie are the logical choices. I think if they really put in the work - and maybe they are a d that's why we are getting her with ej - Abby could take a spot. But it has to be done now. Now after she leaves.

I think Stephanie was at her best as a bitch. When she was plotting and scheming. They even had a little friendship with Sami going for a KOMENT that it's a shame they dropped.

• Members

I rooted for Carrie in the early-mid '90s, against Sami. I didn't warm to Sami until after Carrie had gotten her pound of flesh. I agree Christie Clark can't carry the show, but the show back then was full of big personalities and she was able to be one of those young stars in a more neutral way. I thought that worked early on when she returned under McPherson - she was not the star, but she was a calmer, more even and mature personality offsetting Sami's fire and listening to her, and they still had real tension - but I feel differently about the McPherson era than most people here (and I thought her AMC was great). Though I hated Rafe then and now.

• Members

I don't think Christie Clark is as bad as she's made out to be. She was a bit wan as an actress, and easy to get lost in the shuffle, but she had some backbone and fire when the writing gave her the chance. I thought she and Galen Gering had better chemistry than the [!@#$%^&*] story deserved. And I remember when she played the Barbie doll in the psycho Nurse Ali story - she was perfect as this taunting, nasty bimbo of a doll, of Ali's warped delusions.

Clark isn't suited to be a lead, but she would be an asset to DAYS if she was given the chance.

• Members

The problem is that DAYS has more people than it knows what to do with and IMO a lot of them either aren't doing anything or aren't interesting. I agree with everything Carl said and you could bring Carrie on to play a secondary heroine again as she was last time, but what would she do, especially with Hope floating around and Jennifer looking more like Ma Joad with every passing year yet still getting awful major stories? She'd be lost in the mix. Then you have all the other younger women. I liked when they had Sami, Nicole, Madison, Carrie, Melanie. I knew who those people were, plus you had Will as the angry male ingenue. I'm not sure who a lot of these people are. Some work for me, some I don't care about. But I'm always deeply ambivalent about DAYS most of the time in the last ten to fifteen years, so I really don't have room to talk. Not that that has ever stopped me.

• Members

I completely agree with both of you.

I don't think CC is an awful actress. I just think she had no screen presence and can't carry a story let alone a show. But not everyone on a show needs a big personality and to compete for the lead spot. CC plays well off most everyone she's been paired with and I loved her and Rafe. I loved that whole almost story of Sami/Rafe/Carrie/Austin/Abby. As for MM's era her characters were on point. I've never seen a writer get Sami/Mar so right. Even Sami/Carrie were perfect under her. Will between Sami and Mar, Mar pushing Carrie to be with Samis husband, Carrie not trusting Sami with Austin, Rafe learning about Samis past it was all good. There was just no real story. My only issue in any of that was Sami not realizing what Abby was doing. The rest of the show though was a disaster.

• Members

I would bring Carrie back with a recast Mike Horton and have a recast Jeremy, aged down a little, maybe early twenties. Carrie wouldn't be in a lead role, but she'd help bring in new actors and help fill out the Brady family. Jeremy could fill some of the younger leading man void while he has tension with Carrie, with hapless Mike caught in the middle. Focus on Mike at the hospital too - maybe you could have a new owner of the hospital who would cause problems. Maybe Linda Anderson, which would also give Melissa something to do if she returned. Or Kate could cause problems, since Carrie broke Austin's heart.

I also think Corday needs to finally realize golf isn't acting and can Josh Taylor.

I know Carrie has a kid with Austin but he would just be raised by Caroline or Kayla or whoever and pop up at holidays. That might cause some tension too, if Marlena criticizes her for ping-ponging between men, just as Marlena herself might feel a pull toward a recast (or Wayne...) Roman.

• Members

If she couldn't carry her end of a story she wouldn't have run for as long as she did in the '90s with those various big plotlines. The key is that it is her end of the story - not Sami's, not Lucas's, not whoever else's. She has a quieter presence and she's not really a professional actress IMO, but she knows how to play Carrie Brady and she does that very well, especially with good writing which is rare for her on that show. You don't have to be all things to all people to get a certain job done, and Christie Clark did that for me. Would I hire her back on contract? No, unless they have a very good story and are cleaning house of a number of other people. Would I mind seeing Carrie in at least a recurring capacity? Not at all.

• Members

I definitely agree with you that Christie is a quieter presence on the show. She never had the flashy "look at me I'm emoting!" personality like Ali, Kristian, etc. She did have a fire in her though when written correctly. People may laugh and say that her two Daytime Emmy nominations are a joke, but not many people can say that they achieved that, especially when a tons of soaps were still on the air at the time, and there were plenty of actresses to choose from.

One of my ALL time favorite Days moments was Carrie losing it and decking Sami in the church. She always lead the terrific Mike/Carrie/Ali storyline effortlessly. The problem is, when she was brought back in 2006, her character was destroyed, and because she was off the canvas for quite a while, newer viewers who didn't know the character were completely turned off. It would have happened no matter who was playing her. I had high hopes when MarDar brought her back, and CC's chemistry with GG was off the charts, but while MarDar were good at character interactions, there was never an actual storyline going on, just random conversations. I wouldn't mind seeing her come back as a secondary female lead. I just want her brought back so that the damage can be undone. JMHO.

Archived