DAYS: Huge Star Quits

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know there are some who have said this taping schedule is what keeps the show on the air, but maybe it's time to rethink this. Is it worth losing Alison over? Eileen? Others?

If NBC is smart and the ratings stay up then the network should loosen the purse strings a little bit and give the show some more money to get it off the dime. I can't see these 2.1 and 2.2 numbers lasting myself but higher ratings should translate into a slightly better budget.

• Members

I've always liked Sami, and figured AS was a llfer, too. I hope her departure leads to a more ensemble show, instead of just being the perils of Sami. The show has been headed in that direction for the last year or longer.

As for grandma Theresa, She couldn't lead a show to save her life. Maybe with an actual actress with talent, but JL is not. Her stint at the Charity Rahmer school of acting [aka her year on GH] should show the powers that be she is not lead material.

• Members

Well I think Eileen mentioned that it was because she was used a lot. Kristen was basically an all or nothing character. I don't think it had anything to do with them being 4-5 months ahead. That could be beneficial to an actor to have a week break several times throughout the year to do something else. Honestly, I know Sami is a top character that is on a lot but she had some low episode counts during that time (Jason47 posted them all on facebook), including a few months were she appeared once or twice and one month not at all.

I think it is odd to announce it now when she is taping until the end of year than will be onscreen 4-5 months longer than that so this is a year and a half notice. Why not wait until later in the year.

• Members

WOW! I went from one extreme to the other overnight.. thinking that Ali's "announcement" would be the renewal to seeing it's her leaving. This really saddens me, as I have watched the show since 1996 I have no memory of Days pre-Ali Sweeney and she has really lead story the entire time I've watched! A few thoughts!

1) As for what this means for Days... of course it's a huge loss. Ali has been amazing at her role for 21 years and Ali is a name that the General Audience (even outside soaps/daytime) know of. There's not doubt this is a big loss - However, I'm not jumping on the "show is doomed" train. This show (as are all soap operas) are ENSEMBLE series. Days was on the air for 28 years before Ali and it will go on without her. I believe the show can still be just as successful - - wise soap fans know "It's all in the writing." That's what matters above anything else.

2) As for the talk about a recast. No way would I accept a recast! Sami Brady is a character that reached the "non-recastable" stage a LONG time ago! If Days were to try a recast for this character it would be one of the stupidest moves they've ever made. The recasted actress would be doomed from day 1.

3) One reason I find this news so shocking is Ali has stuck with the show through so much.. she has stuck through endless contract negotiations, salary cuts, budget cuts, etc. I was really expecting her to leave once she got TBL in 2007.. and then I remember thinking again throughout 2008/09 that "she'll leave now, now that she knows TBL thing is not just a temp thing - its pretty solid and set." But then by 2010/11 I was like.. "well, I guess the girl really is sticking with both".... It makes sense that her kids are getting older now and she wants more time with them... She has worked herself like crazy for years. I just wish they would have settled on a reduced contract.. instead of Ali getting 15ish episodes per month, they could have lowered it to 10 or even 8 and rotated the character of Sami between frontburner and supporting. But I'm sure 21 years is a long time to keep the same job... I'm just sad and making up my favorite scenarios ;)

4) This is very trivial.. but my mind covers ALL aspects of this show. With Ali's salary freed up this has to help the budget of the show. Don't get me wrong - I love Ali and would totally choose to keep her on our screens. But if she is leaving - then the budget has to be improved. I'm sure Ali has to be the highest paid actress on the show.

5) We can't fill the void of losing Sami Brady... but this makes it even MORE critical that we NEED Martha Madison on this show! Again, NOT to fill a Sami-void. I believe that nobody can do that! But Marlena needs a daughter on this show. And we need a strong younger female lead. Ari Zucker is great. Jen Lilley is great. Martha Madison is needed!

• Members

I preferred Beemer as Shawn so Id take him back. I hated JC in the role but I grew to like him towards the end on GH, so I wouldn't be opposed to him back. I think either one is preferable to a recast bc the show could use some familiarity. The couple definitely doesn't need a third set of actors in the role.

• Members

Surprised, yet not, because I had a strong hunch the only huge news she'd have is leaving DAYS, I figured, so.

Nice that she's thinking about her kids. Hopefully TBL lasts a while longer, LOL.

And I'm sure she knows she'd have a job with DAYS (if it's around) in a heartbeat.

It will be strange though. She's been there my entire watching period. There was a time I just loved Sami and she was long overdue for a break. The show will be fine if it stays the way it's been, and continues to do so. Maybe this will free up some money for some returns? One can hope.

And if the show ends, it won't be because Sweeney left.

• Members

Sami is the character that actually got me into DAYS but her pairing with Rafe and that period as a tortured heroin, ruined the character and show for me for a while. But 2013 felt like a true return to form for the character and I fell back in love with Sami...

Only on Days can someone announce their departure a year and a half in advance...

Archived