DAYS: Huge Star Quits

• Members

I'll defiantly still watch the show without her, if I'm interested. I love days and have my entire life. But when it's bad - and that's been a lot - Sweeney as Sami has kept me interested, watching, checking in. Without her I don't have that.

The show can defiantly go on without her. I just don't know if they will be able to, for various reasons.

BudgetMaxie as Theresa the next Sami? Disgusting. Lol. Honestly the closest they've ever come to a new Sami is SH as Steph her last year and MB as Melanie. Both left and both are doing well outside of soaps. But really, again, days problem is it's inability to hold into younger actors who grow within the role. Their other issue is they have A LOT of supporting players and few leads. Zucker is a great 2nd lead. I can't see her as Nicole as the lead. Vaughan as Eric? Defiantly a lead but given supporting standings. Everyone else in that age range is without doubt supporting. Part if the reason ED as Kristen worked was because there was finally another female lead. Sweeney as Sami over the years has shamefully played second to JS's EJ who has totally eaten the show. But she's still been the sole female lead for the better part of 15 years.

Days is well balanced, aside from JS/EJ.

It'll be very interesting though. I don't think the show is prepared for her exit the way they were with Alfonso, Chappell, Rinna, Hall, etc. similar to the way they were unprepared for PR as Bo to leave and his absence is still felt and not just because he wasn't given an exit. Because nobody fills that role on the canvas he played.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, IA with you that James Scott as much as AS (maybe more) is the centre of the show. Not going to lie, I really like EJ and JS in the role. Watching EJ and the DiMera clan as a whole is one of my favourite parts of the show. I wonder if he might walk too. He has threatened it before. He's been in a partnership with AS carrying the show and now that she's gone, who will he be paired with? Abby? She's not there yet. He's called the shots on who he should be paired with before, but who is left on the show who is EJ's equal? (My mind goes to Hope, but I know your's doesn't!). Plus he's a good-looking guy and must be wondering if he could score work on PT or elsewhere.

Personally, I think this might be a good time to think about the Hortons. They are a family in the ascendancy on this show. I consider Ciara to be more Horton than Brady in a weird way, and if anybody is a future Sami-in-training, it is Ciara. The actress is so right for the role that I don't want her SORASed and would rather they 'grow' her in the role. Although I don't know if Days has that kind of time on their hands.

I could see Vaughan as a lead but he needs to work on his acting just a little. smile.png I mean, I love him desperately and all, but he needs just a little more work on his chops. I think having worked with AZ, EM and ED, he has improved in leaps and bounds.

LOL so basically you are saying we need ED back. laugh.png From your mouth to God's ears. I also agree with you about PR/Bo. He wasn't driving all the main stories like Sami is but he was (in the words of Susan Flannery) one of the show's tentpole characters.

And I am really hoping this doesn't pull Ken Corday off the golf course and get him to thinking. Because when Corday gets a-thinking, bad things happen, and we get Dena Higley and the Mar-Dar reboot to nowhere and Shawn Brady on a mercy mission to save Philip in Afghanistan/Iraq and good, deserving people get fired for real.

Here's my question -- has Days been renewed beyond 2015? And would Ali's leaving affect NBC's desire to renew?

• Members

Days will be fine, assuming it gets its renewal.

AS' contract runs out in December, but with Days currently taping 4.5 months ahead and gaining a week every month, they'll be close to 8 months ahead by the end of the year. Their 50th anniversary is in Nov. 2015. I can see her sticking around a few extra months to reach that point. That gives them time to phase in the next generation of leads.

I wish Ali luck, but I won't miss the Sami who has been on my screen in the last few years. My Sami Gene Brady left in early 2008.

• Members

I may be in the minority, but I say good riddance. Ali seems like an awesome person, and I wish her all the best, but Days has long been The Sami Show, much like GH has been the Sonny Show. You can only lather, rinse and repeat the same storyline for a character before it gets extremely annoying. I'm looking forward to OTHER characters having frontburner status for once.

I do think that this it the chance to bring Christie Clark back with something meaningful to do. The fact that I'm a total Carrie fanboy aside, she will be needed. If not her, definitely Belle.

• Members

AWESOME NEWS! There may be hope for Days after all. Tremendously overexposed insipid character played by a mediocre actress made Days unwatchable for me. Even on eppies where the character might be off, I'm afraid someone might mention her name. Too bad you have to wait a year, but better late than never.

This is really good for Days, and if anyone who makes decisions is smart, they would begin to scale back on Sami's airtime ASAP. Give the audience the opportunity to be w/o her and reallly enjoy the show as a whole.

Adios!

• Members

Carrie is so basic compared to Sami that she is not going to fill any void left by Ali's absence. What they can do which I suggested in the past is bring her back and in Rafe's sphere will reigniting the animosity that Kate seemed to have been developing towards the end of that run. I can see her getting Sami type stories and it wouldn't feel contrived as it seemed as if they were heading in that direction anyway. Not sure CC as Carrie can deliver though as she isn't as dynamic as Ali. I just do t see Carrie having the same fire to take on Kate

• Members

It's surprising Alison stayed all these years. Considering there were many opportunities to leave the show. It got her the biggest loser and I am sure she has made good money outside the show. Started at 16 and now 37. Is it me or does Allison look better now then she did in her teens? A classic example of age. Days will be fine. I understand she wants to spend more time with her family. The door will always be open. I doubt days would recast.

Archived