DAYS: Huge Star Quits

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is absolutely zero chance this was staying secret. None. Not for any longer than it did.

As for the show giving her whatever she wants, I think they would have. But I do t even think there was a negotiation. Her contract isn't up until dec. I doubt they started discussions this early even tho days tapes 4 months ahead. They are not near taping dec or even Aug. Maybe they did approach her but I think it's more likely she went to them and was honest and have them as much notice as she could. A year. JMB basically gave gh a years notice so it is g unheard of and AS knows how central Sami is.

As for Sami not being a leading type. Bullshit. Even if you hate her she rightfully became the lead character. A legacy character. Who grew up on screen. Played by one actress who never left. With ties to the canvas. Who can drive story. A character that as complex, layered. Did bad things but believed she was just in them. Now if you wanna say she neve should have made into a heroine, fine. But leads don't have to be heroines. Who else was going to take the leading spot? Belle? Too young. Carrie? Too boring played by an actress with zero screen presence. Nicole? A nobody at the time who would have had to be recast because air left. Chloe? Mimi? lol. Another new Jennifer? In the 90s Carly to Billie to Hope to Marlena/Kristen to Sami was a natural lineup of leading ladies. They actually got very lucky with CC as Carly and LR as Billie.

The biggest problem with Sami as lead is she basically had no co-female lead except for Nicole here and there who while played by a great actress had a nothing character. Samis turn to heroine was rushed and more than less only kind of started work because she was raped, tortured by the villain, lost a child and had all these heroine like stories happen to her and it ruined a lot of what Sami was. A lot of this could have been avoided if the show has a female heroine. But they only had Sami. And Nicole who was as bad. A Carrie or belle was needed here. Even Jennifer or hope would have worked but they were not characters then they were part of the Supercouple entity tht ruined so many characters. But even Sami could have worked as a heroine, or more likely a anti-heroine, but the story was never told. They never took her there. We were told she was a heroine and they gave her heroine stories. I do think the Rafe romance was her at her best as an adult character. She was mature, grown, and had so,e confidence but she was still scheming and lying. But in a way that worked.

Ej ruined Sami. I'd love it of JS left before as and our final months was a ej free Sami.

I'm not saying Sami Brady is the best lead character. But she was, and is, most deserving of being the lead for the last decade plus on days. Alison Sweeney isn't the best actress ever either, but she has that something special that makes her stand out that leads need. That CC never has had.

Days has suffered huge loses and moved on before. I think they can do it here but it won't be easy.

• Members

The writing was also beyond terrible when she returned, the fault of both JERk and MarDar If written well, Carrie could be an asset, just like many other characters whose returns have been botched beyond belief during the last decade. Days has a year to figure it out, and to hopefully never revolve the show around one person or couple again. I'm definitely counting the days until Sami is gone. Hopefully, she takes EJ with her so that other people who are equally (or in some cases, more) deserving can shine for once.

• Members

She has shown no affinity at being a romantic lead or even playing in romantic scenes. Assuming DOOL continues in their Shawn tradition of handsome shirtless guys who love Belle til the end of time, casting JMB would ruin their whole mojo. Martha Madison and Brandon Beemer were perfectly fine as Shawn and Belle, and its been years already and surprising the show never brought the characters and actors back.

She couldn't even play Marcia Brady.

• Members

But can't you enjoy the year-long ride while it lasts? The whole point of watching a soap opera is to watch it all unfold and play out, not just to see the ending and the basic plot points. Otherwise, what's the point in watching something like American Horror Story when you know it's going to wrap up in 13 episodes.

Jacqueline Wood as Stephanie would cause me to FINALLY give a damn about the character. I doubt she'd join DAYS but that's an excellent choice.

• Members

Almost anything can work of written well.

If written well jacks 127th return would be great.

If written well Hope could be the most dynamic character ever.

If written well Daniel could fill the void left by Bo.

If written well Abe could be the most important character on canvas.

If written well Carrie could be more interesting than watching paint dry.

But that's not the case. Through multiple writers.

I'll give Carrie this, her return only hasn't worked twice. As opposed to jack who should just honestly never, ever return.

I agree.

I loved watching Kristen's last month. Part because it was great and part because I knew it was ending.

I'm excited to see what Sami Brady does in her final 6 months.

• Members

It would be nice if they could bring Carly back to give Hope more relevance. I'm not crazy about Carrie but if used properly she can drive story. I'd like it if they brought back Vivian again. A lot of people say Nicole isn't a lead-type character but I think she could be. Like Sami, she's kinda psychotic and can be villain and heroine at the same time. As long as she isn't in Daniel's orbit. Blech

• Members

This.

I'm probably the minority in this opinion, but I thought Sami's best "supercouple" pairing was with Lucas, back around 2003-2005 especially, when every other supercouple had one-half "dead" on an island/castle. She could still be conniving and Lucas would always call her out on it, but she was still herself.

This may seem silly, but I feel the balance is off with Nicole being the "leading lady" because she's not part of a core family, nor has she made a family for herself, the way Marlena became part of a family unit even though there are no other Evans family members in Salem.

• Members

If Nicole marries Eric, Brady or Daniel, she becomes part of a "core" family. The good thing about Ari is that she has a ton of chemistry with a variety of leading men. Additionally, Nicole has A LOT of history with a variety of men, so there are numerous possibilities. Ari has certain proven her worth as an actor, particularly during the past year, so I could live with her carrying the "Sami" mantle. (Especially since Nic is no angel.)

Archived