DAYS: Huge Star Quits

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lucci has plenty of talent, it's just very much her own.

And I don't think anyone was talking acting so much as stature and star power. Lucci is the top of that list. Alison Sweeney, while I find her talented and a force not unlike Lucci, is quite a few rungs down the ladder.

• Members

Oh, ok, so Days has less time then they thought to craft this exit. Still, they've known since Nov.

If EJ and Sami leave together that's ok, but I also wouldn't mind if Sami kills EJ in a fit of madness and Marlena spirits her out of the country for a brand new life.

I disagree with those saying that characters like Marlena, Kate etc have no purpose beyond their interaction with Sami. Her leaving might just liberate them. God knows I have wanted a Kate vs Marlena or Kate vs Julie rivalry for ages.

• Members

I just don't see days returning any of them to leading lady status. I def think there's tons of dynamics to play off with many underused people and the show can be fine without Sami. I just am unsure of what they do.

Reading her interview, seeing her on Ellen and looking back at my interview with her in nov I do feel like they are killing Sami off. I hope so. I feel it's what the character needs to be off the show. My ideal exit is still her mirderimg ej though.

As for leading lady legacies, I def think Sweeney has more than earned her spot among the greats. While her acting may not be as good as some (but better than others) she carried Days for a good 20 years, the last 12 basically in her own. She's had multiple huge pairings, become a star outside of the soap world, championed and cheered soaps on instead of turning her back on them. Her character has driven a large part of days and is the central leading lady. She put in the time, the effort and had the popularity. I'm not sure how she's not one unless you just think she's a weak actress and if that's the case lucci sure isn't one either. If your talking about their character being an icon and that alone then I'd say basically there is Erica and nobody else.

• Members

Marlena's story this past year hasn't even revolved around Sami and she's been more viable than ever! Getting involved in Eric's life and the stuff with Kristen and Brady has been good for her character

Killing Sami off? I really cant see that happening

• Members

I get everyone has their favorites, but she hasn't carried DAYS for 20 years. Has she been an integral character during that time? Hell yes! The last 6 years? As far as I can tell it's been her as the constant leading lady, minus some Nicole love, the year of Kristen, and what they tried to do with night time Hope and Carly's return. Oh and Melanie . But she was the center during these last 6 years for sure.

I would say I will miss her, but she's not the Sami I loved. She's a dull version of that character mixed with what Carrie should be written like. I'm bored with both.

Pretty sad that one hot sex scene with another actress made me want to see more of EJ for a bit.

• Members

She was def one of the leads in the mid and late 90s. Around 2002 she became more than less the sole lead. A huge mistake as nobody should be that on a soap, but it happened. She has been the central female star and in every nearly major A storyline from the time lexie and hopes baby swap ended until now. The few exceptions are Mar as the SSK, Carlys return and Kristens return. All more than less short lived and she was still leading other stories alongside them.

I do agree her character as suffered. I am glad shes not stil 1996 Sami, but for a few years there she was very much Carrie. I think they have done a gopod job recently mixing who sami has always been with a more grown up woman.

I am not saying Days can not go on or that nobody else can lead. I am saying it was dumb of the show to lose everyone else they invested in and built up to a lead because as of right now they have nobody else to lead. I love Ari Z and if she were a different charcter she could totally lead, but i dont see Nicole as the lead. I also just dont see Hope, Jenifer or Marlena becoming the lead again due to the work load.

I hope we get a Belle and Stephanie recast before Sweeney is gone and I hope they are good. For me, soaps are all about leading ladies. I need those big, central characters that are important to the canvas. They keep me watching. And right now, after Sweeney, I have none on Days.

Archived