AMC & OLTL Get Summer Run On OWN

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_look AMC used it (Wiki claims for three years, but I don't remember that) as did The City and the first six months or so of Sunset Beach. Apparently some foreign soaps, like Hollyoaks use it as well.

It's strange, iTunes is not in HD for the soaps (why not?) but when I had the shows on both FXCanada and FXCanadaHD I checked them out, because I'm a geek on standard FX. And they looked FAR worse than they do on iTunes if I watch the videos on my 40" HDTV with an HDMI cable--which I guess just means the files are at a higher def than standard.

• Members

I saw that on Twitter too- I'll wait for Marc Berman from TVMediaInsights. He's pretty reputable with ratings and said he would report on it as soon as he had something. But he seemed to think that if it was gangbusters ratings on day 1, we would have had a release from OWN by now.

Honestly, with the wonky schedule that I had to read like 6 times to understand and no major offline promotion to reach those people who can't find Hulu, my ratings expectations weren't great. I also have no idea what's acceptable though for a cable network like OWN daytime- I'd imagine its quite low.

• Members

Wasn't whatever was in that timeslot before getting higher ratings than that?

I wish this was getting better promo. I would have tried to have had some news paper ads or something to announce the shows were back on tv. And they couldn't have had Debbie Morgan or Erika Slezak or somebody go out and do a morning talk show interview?

• Members

This was poorly scheduled and poorly promoted, but it will be widely viewed as a reflection of the value of the shows themselves. (And, to be fair, maybe the numbers wouldn't have been much different with more promotion/different scheduling)

I can't see any other cable networks taking interest in these shows now and I don't see how these shows are sustainable on Hulu/iTunes alone, so this is quite depressing.

• Members

Do we have any sources beyond that random tweet? I agree with Vee on OWN having low expectations (does everyone even have OWN? I don't think so)- and they could alter the schedule still. Its not like they bombed on Lifetime or Bravo with promotion and a more sane scheduling plan- then I would be bummed. I'm seeing this as worst case scenario- a little extra change in PP's pocket. I've read somewhere they're aggressively looking for international deals, which I think could be really big for them.

Interesting that if true OLTL was somewhat significantly higher than AMC- I would expect them to be pretty much the same. I know its looked like AMC is stronger on Hulu but perhaps its more negligible than we thought.

Edited- found this- TV Media Insights@TVMediaInsights

FYI...I finally received some ratings for "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" from OWN on Monday, but they they are unusable. And there is no improvement over the regularly scheduled time period, unfortunately.

• Members

I am thinking that OLTL will survive more than AMC and they are bringing GL and ATWT big guns to the show to get better ratings and attract the fans from those cancelled soaps. OLTL has its matriarch Erica Slezak but AMC does not due to Susan Lucci is unavailable. Too much The David Hayward Show and not enough AMC. OWN might not be able to carry both shows eventually. Something seems off.

Archived