AMC & OLTL Get Summer Run On OWN

• Members

SO those rumoured rating numbers--do they count all the episodes? Repeats? I'm sure nobody knows, but...

I do think a newbie viewer might be confused by the scheduling. Maybe OLTL had such an (apparent) jump over AMC partly because AMC accumulated more viewers over its four episodes--and they stay tuned...

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK well then, take what I said and remove the rumoured bits. Same question. While I think OLTL started off with more of a bang than AMC, it seems weird that the difference is so significant (AMC has been doing better than OLTL on Hulu but not by such margins.)

On yesterday's OLTL podcast, Melissa claimed that the OWN episodes would have different takes for some scenes, etc-has anyone noticed this? I know Vee mentioned that the premier, I believe, was slightly edited for time (understandable as the premiers were extra long for both shows.)

• Members

I think PP spent their war chest promoting the 4/29 launch. The billboards, ads in People and US Weekly, the fancy NY roll out, and I was actually seeing a good amount of commercials on cable for quite awhile. But I don't think they have endless PR funds right now & I can't hold it against them too much. Its unfortunate they had to resort to largely using FB and Twitter for OWN promotion which probably got the word out largely to hardcore fans who had already watched these old eps.

The scheduling is too stupid- FX Canada had it exactly right so I don't know why this got so bungled. But I'm hopeful it could possibly be changed.

But on the whole, ho hum OWN ratings don't upset me nearly as much as the early hiatus or the ep reduction did. Like everything else with PP thus far, we'll just have to see what happens. I'm sure they've been exploring options other deals and potential revenue avenues throughout the hiatus.

• Members

Obviously its David Hayward. tongue.png Outraged fans turned off their TV the second he looked at Angie.

Honestly, I can't make sense of it. Maybe when we have some actual data of how they come up with the numbers, we can speculate more. If anything, I thought AMC would appear more to an older, more traditional daytime audience that hasn't found Hulu than the Shelter heavy first week of OLTL.

• Members

The schedule was bad and confusing. Not to mention the lack of promotion on both parts.

However I think those ratings leave things at a tossup. Does OWN stick with them despite similar ratings to other (cheaper?) programming reruns? I would hope so but I think it will be a case of wait and see.

In all honesty the shows were rushed on the air to OWN after the announcement. It is summer. The timeslots should be later. It all probably contributed IMO.

• Members

Going in it definitely looks a lot better for fans of OLTL than fans of AMC. OWN is just doing a quick summer rerun at the moment. Time slots mean nothing. The numbers and fans watching means everything. Some AMC fans don't see Erica but OLTL has their matriarch in Erica Slezak and after watching a few shows AMC fans are seeing that it is a fractured show, a shell of its former self with a skeleton cast. No Tad, no Rylee or Zendall, No Erica and the Hubbard family without Frankie. Well there are too many missing pieces and parts of AMC. Fans from other websites have decided to just leave the show alone and have walked away. It is sad too.

I really don't know how Ginger Smith is going to save AMC and start doing what she and the writers are going to have to do to get back a key percentage of fans to want to watch the show again giving the lack of airtime and airdates. The rapid aging of the children, the 5 year gap thing, whatever it is that has hurt the show, making it too much The David Hayward show and not enough of All My Children, backburning too many storylines for the sex trafficking storyline. No doubt, there are many elements missing from the show. Ginger Smith did admit sadly that they can't bring everyone back and that might just hurt worse in the long run of the show, generally speaking. She admitted that there cannot be any room for error when they get back to work on Aug. 12. She knows this next round is the make or break of the show. Like I said, it just might be the wisest thing to just reboot the reboot and start all over again. The new writing team simply going in a different direction and doing what they have to do to erase all the mistakes being made right now with these episodes we are watching right now from the fired writing team. Something really has to change to save the show and get fans interested again to want to watch the show. Fans on websites saying they would love to see Angie and Jesse happy for at least 5 minutes. Angie crying is burning out the fans. Fans seem to be dissatisfied in some way or the other, thus the ratings/numbers thing.

OLTL looking much much stronger going into their next round of block filming for sure. Bringing on key actors from GL and ATWT to help strengthen too. AMC has got their work cut out for them and it might be the wisest thing for the new writers to go over the scripts they are prepping for and maybe even a meeting with Agnes Nixon, Ginger Smith and just restart the show all over again. Something is seemingly off, way off.

Archived