AMC & OLTL Get Summer Run On OWN

• Members

Not having Jacob with his daughter in her time of need and being OK with it is simply Pre-school mindset. Jacob is his daughter and even Debbi said in one of her tweets (not mine) that she and Darnell went to the producers about the bad mistake in failing to have Jacob there with his child. Makes absolutely no sense at all. A father not around for their child and no explanation, no mention. Just dropped the ball big time with that part of the storyline.

Not having Jacob with his daughter in her time of need and being OK with it is simply Pre-school mindset. Jacob is his daughter and even Debbi said in one of her tweets (not mine) that she and Darnell went to the producers about the bad mistake in failing to have Jacob there with his child. Makes absolutely no sense at all. A father not around for their child and no explanation, no mention. Just dropped the ball big time with that part of the storyline.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do agree about Jacob. It makes no sense not to mention him or have him around. It's one of many reasons I don't like this story. Personally, I would've recast Jacob and had him as a regular character on the show. It's weird because they seem to acknowledge that Jesse isn't Cassandra's dad, yet they don't mention her actual dad lol.

• Members

Also expected because they are reruns! Most people who already watched online will not be watching or DVR the reruns broadcast on OWN.

If they start airing episodes the same week as they are available online, then maybe some fans will watch on OWN, and that will be a true test in the ratings.

• Members

Don't tell Linda you want a recast!!

tongue.png I do agree some mention should have been made (frankly, I would have killed him off in the 5 year break as macabre as it might sound--it could have happened years ago and they would hardly even have to discuss it--just a quick bit from Cassandra wishing her father was there, or something.)

Granted, I an giving them some slack due to new writers who were really rushed (apparently) into AMC with only a couple of weeks of prep time--but I agree some mention should have been made.

I know this would be asking for too much, but it's no real secret, at least to me, that Oprah got interested in these shows partly because Tyler Perry's Haves and Have Nots instantly became the top rated show on her network. If she had used the premier episodes of AMC and OLTL as a preview after last week's Have and Have Nots, I think it could have helped with the promo. Not to be too stereotypical *takes a deep breath in case this gets a bad reaction* but obviously Haves has a large black audience, and AMC even opens (if I remember right) with Angie and Jesse. Oh well.

• Members

Did you really watch from episode one? What did you think of previous Black Super Couple Frank and Nancy? Were you mad that they were phased out and did you write tons of episodes? You never seem to discuss the 70s era of the show. Did you watch OLTL from the start too? And why do you always mention you're a baby boomer--I think anyone who cares, knows that by now, and if you really did watch from day one, it would be obvious that you are from around that generation and so it's redundant to have to bother saying it each time--could save you some typing.

This sentence does not make sense to me. Still, I thought you were predicting there was no way it would make a second season. But that's changed to now the shows are a complete failure if they don't make a third season? Aren't you jumping the gun?

That's a fair point. I know allmc made a chart--but I think near the end they are meant to start overlapping.

• Members

Linda, I never said they shouldn't mention her father- of course they should. I just stated that I seriously doubt that Job not being present is a substantial factor as to why people would tune out, which you stated in your earlier post. Or really a factor at all as far as viewership.

I agree with this- mention should have been made or like you said they could have killed him off. I do think it could be confusing for non-City viewers (those hardcore more recent Rylee/Zendall fans that Linda mentions or younger non baby boomer fans) to suddenly have a Jesse look-a-like who is Cassandra's father. It could be done but the easier thing is to just mention him or explain a death.

Completely agree that it would have been great to launch these in conjunction with Have and Have Nots for the reasons you said. And late-night viewings generally would be a good thing-

• Members

One thing I keep wondering about is if these soaps are attracting any NEW viewers in any of the venues in which they are airing. How many of the OWN viewers are the same folks who watch on Hulu? I mean, are there actually many people out there who are thinking, hey, let me check out this soap that used to be on tv that I never bothered with before? They've bled out viewers, either through unavailability or limited availability (Canada, folks without internet(esp. seniors), viewers who were disappointed in the reboot, viewers who just stopped when it went off tv and never bothered to come back. I've never been a big fan of stunt casting but I am thinking these soaps need a person(s) famous outside the soap world for a guest spot or very limited run (and I don't mean boy bands that nobody over 20 ever heard of) to generate some new viewers because I think they are preaching to a dwindling congregation and aren't really getting new butts in the seats. Might a Susan Lucci or Cameron Mathieson return bring some lapsed viewers back? Perhaps, but neither one has the appeal outside the soap universe to entice new viewers. Will there be any new viewers from OWN who just decide to check them out because they're airing on a network they already watch? Maybe.

It's been said these shows need some major promotion and I agree. But I also think they need some kind of big event to promote that would actually make people take notice and not just "they're baaaaaaaack!"

Just a bit off tangent here but can someone sincerely explain to me what is the purpose exactly of TOLN? Prospect Park is the "owner/producer" of the soaps, Hulu et al are the platforms. The name "The Online Network" sounds like it would have turned out to become a Hulu-type service with an eventual catalog of offerings but all these months later it remains nothing more than a portal (which is probably hardly ever used as people can access the soaps more directly by other means) for 2 soap operas.

• Members

Right. I think they are trying to blend the fans who have not watched the HuLu episodes with the fans who have watched so once week 8 or 9 arrive I am sure they will have a catch-up marathon and the people who have been watching on HuLu will start watching on OWN. They could even have promos such as "If you want a spicier version watch on HuLu" and the HuLu episodes can have the swear words and some of the more risque scenes.

Here is my chart everyone and I hope someone will check to see if the match is 100% the 3 episodes on Monday through everything off!:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvipZf7pCGQrdDViWENHeFZjN0ZWekhyUjY2eW5LcGc

Archived