AMC & OLTL Get Summer Run On OWN

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not that I truck with them much but in the interest of all angles on a story, DC's take is (surprisingly) pretty rosy. Here.

I'm not sure their take on the pre-soap numbers is entirely accurate based on what else I've seen, but I wasn't looking that closely at those.

• Members

I wonder if OWN is paying attention and will make schedule changes. They need to drop all the repeats and air both shows back-to-back in 1 hour block. Then they need to repeat them later at night and have a weekly marathon. 4 episodes a day is confusing. Plus with such little promo (including NO promos showing footage from the shows), any ratings are good. They're being forced to fend for themselves. Unfortunately, I think if things don't improve OWN will look at this as a failure in the end.

• Members

These numbers are not strong enough to talk anything past this test run. I am very skeptical about continuation of the shows past the run. Spin it any way you want and rationalize right and left, back and forth, and still at the end of the day, AMC will probably just have to stay on HULU for its lifespan to continue. Maybe the new writing team will have some new material that will try to generate viewers.

OLTL seems to be faring alot better with OWN and could be salvagable. OLTL has its matriarch with Erica Slezak and AMC does not have Susan Lucci due to unavailability. Key characters and MIA characters needed to strengthen the show are not on the show currently. No Jacob in the Cassandra storyline, the storylines are not balanced yet. Alot of things can turn away a viewer for so many reasons.

At the end of the day, All My Children just might be one of those shows that does better 4-5 days a week at 30-60 minutes each. AMC is a family based/community oriented themed show. The character emphasis and focus is fine balancing the family themes which does not exist with the reboot.

and to make things worse, PP has still not given any signals that there will be a 2nd season as of yet.

• Members

That is actually one the first things they said a couple months ago - that they were already talking about "Season 2."

Why don't you just admit that the reason almost everyone around here is loving it but you and that you refuse to acknowledge that is because you personally hate the Angie/Jesse storyline, you hate anything that makes them unhappy and you are terrified that they will pair David and Angie? You're willing to tear the show down and spin imaginary scenarios where only AMC will have to be taken off the air just to stop that from happening.

In that sense, you're not actually being a fan of the show - just one couple.

• Members

No I think it would be figuring out a better option- the current schedule is confusing and more repeats than anyone needs. Tweaking it really has little to do with the merits of the show.

They have made references to a season 2 but its not even 3 months into the first year yet. Right now they should be focused on their return to taping in August and Sept.

I'm not really sure OLTL is faring that much better on OWN- it seemed like they flip flopped on different days. OLTL might have closed the week a little stronger. Am I missing something? And though the shows have always been different, I think you could call both of them family based and community oriented.

And I'm sorry, I know you love Darnell but no one is tuning out on OWN because Jacob from The City which was cancelled in 1997 isn't there. Some diehards may wonder where he is but...no.

• Members

What? Actually, I think the opposite. It would be a failure if they were not even slightly willing to test things like that (at the least try some sort of less confusing schedule.)

Linda said: "OLTL seems to be faring alot better with OWN and could be salvagable. OLTL has its matriarch with Erica Slezak and AMC does not have Susan Lucci due to unavailability. Key characters and MIA characters needed to strengthen the show are not on the show currently. No Jacob in the Cassandra storyline, the storylines are not balanced yet. Alot of things can turn away a viewer for so many reasons."

I hate this OLTL vs AMC argument but... OK, I know this is just your "opinion" but it's not backed up by ANYTHING. If anything AMC, for the most part, has apparently been doing better than OLTL but the difference--even in these OWN ratings, is really pretty negligible that to use a qualifier like "alot better" makes me just think you're making things up out of thin air.

And really, to have Jacob on AMC right now would clutter the show and confuse non The City/Loving viewers and newbies--I do think some mention of him should be made, though, and I dunno, maybe down the road they could bring him on for a bit (though I don't think it's needed.)

• Members

Seriously--I loved The City, and I love that they are mentioning some of its history, but except for hardcore online fans like myself, I honestly don't know ANYONE who watched The City or even remembers it... It was nearly 20 years back, and got a tiny fraction of AMC and OLTL's numbers.

As Vee and Greens mentioned some mention of a Season 2 has been made--but seriously it is WAY too soon to expect an announcement--they haven't even started the second cycle of filming. Maybe when that's done for both shows you could reasonably expect some talk about the future--but...

• Members

+1

It is still too soon to tell. I am sure in 3-4 weeks there will be improvement. Regardless, they have to start somewhere.

I don't think Susan not being present has anything to do with this. AMC is lower but I don't find it significantly lower besides Erica wasn't that prominent during the later years as she should have been.

Actually, with this potential Dimitri/Brooke/Opal story and all the Mirranda Drama and the Drama with Bianca and Kendall I think Erica's presence hasn't been this strong in a really long time. All those points I mentioned are Erica centric without Erica being there!! That said, on the OWN re-runs it is just the Miranda stuff but she still seems there in spirit so to speak.

Also, Linda, OLTL and AMC are both Family/Community based. AMC seems more community and OLTL seems more family but wasn't that how they always were? You can trace virtually to Vickie EVERY CHARACTER on OLTL directly to Vick or Dorian. Weather it is through one of there Kids, Nieces/Nephew's, or Siblings.

That said AMC has always been more Community.

One more thing. I challenge you to say 5 good things about new AMC becuse if you think about it, it really isn't the horror picture you make it out to be smile.png .

• Members

I agree with this assessment. The schedule never made any sense, and I don't quite understand why the very obvious, very simple concept of airing the shows in an hour block was passed over (or never brought up?). An hour at noon, an hour in the early evening. Done and done. As it stands, it's nearly impossible to simply watch the shows back-to-back.

• Members

Well, since I am a babyboomer, I have watched AMC since it's debut, before Angie and Jesse of the 80's.

There are many Angie/Jesse fans out there who love the SuperCouple, period.

I am watching because of my 40 plus years dedication and loyalty to the show.

If they were to cancel the show after Season 2, then whoever tries to spin bad ratings and numbers will be sad fans at the end of the day.

Archived