AMC & OLTL Get Summer Run On OWN

• Members

Time slots do mean something- they're key for getting the numbers & fans watching. And yes, OLTL does have more of its ABC cast in place & started with a bang with Victor but honestly, I think AMC felt a lot more like old school AMC the first week or two even with new faces. With all the Shelter stuff, I pretty much had to cry/beg my mom and my aunt to keep watching even though they love Viki & Dorian etc. (She's loving the show currently finally). And I'm not a P&G soap aficionado, but do these new OLTL actors have the kind of following that will bring significant numbers of fans to the show? I hope they do but I'm just not seeing that as a major leg up over AMC>

I don't think they need to reboot the reboot at all- and I seriously doubt they will since they just promoted the scriptwriters who have been writing the episodes we've been seeing. Seeing Angie/Jesse happy right now wouldn't work after what they've been through the past few months- I'm sure they'll get there eventually. And if rapid aging of the children caused people to tune out, they must not have been longtime soap fans. Finally, Vincent Irrizzary has logged I think as many years actually on AMC as Darnell Williams- David Hayward is not some newbie being shoved down our throats- we've known him for 15 years. More recent fans (like those Rylee/Zendall fans you always mention) have more history with David than with Jesse. And he doesn't monopolize the show- certainly not more than the Angie/Jesse story does or Miranda/AJ or Pete/Celia did in the first month.

Honestly, with no promotion and a crazy schedule, I don't think there's much sense to be made of the OWN numbers & I certainly don't think they speak to the quality of either show or one over the other.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, the schedule was weird for the first day with AMC airing at noon EST. The fact that Marc Berman said these numbers were unusable since there was no context given makes me put little faith in them anyway.

Definitely and we know that Linda's hoping the show fails without Jesse being a one-dimensional hero and Rylee, Zendall reunited.tongue.png

+1! Tell the people behind Ryan's Hope that the noon timeslot will bring in as many viewers as 12:30.

I hope OWN makes more of an effort to advertise both shows in the future, but I'm waiting to see if we get full numbers for the new episodes all week before getting too worked up over it.

• Members

OLTL looking much much stronger going into their next round of block filming for sure. Bringing on key actors from GL and ATWT to help strengthen too. AMC has got their work cut out for them and it might be the wisest thing for the new writers to go over the scripts they are prepping for and maybe even a meeting with Agnes Nixon, Ginger Smith and just restart the show all over again. Something is seemingly off, way off.``

What is seeming off? How long have you watched OLTL vs AMC? And do you not think Agnes Nixon--from everything we've been told--is NOT going over these scripts??

• Members

Bravo (Brava? I've already been told off for assuming gender on here...) AMC creatively speaking is in an insanely healthy place--and I think OLTL is too. Linda, I just can't fathom viewers like you who shake their head at every scene when Jesse and Angie don't get along....Do you watch soaps for comfort food--to just tune in and see your favorite couple hugging on the couch? And, since you're so worried about viewers, do you think that will bring in any new (or even keep old) viewers?

The show has brilliantly been centered around Jesse and Angie right now--and I think that's played out well for them. They are a core focus of the show, and in so many respects that's amazing. (it's ironic that OWN's own creation The Haves and Have Nots has such a Gone with the Wind view of how blacks and whites interact...)But I don't want them to retire to Ruth/Joe town, like that coupling was in the 80s, yet. I'm shocked that you seem to want exactly that.

• Members

Here are the day by day ratings for both

http://www.tvmediainsights.com/highlights/27796/all-my-children-one-life-to-live-on-own-ratings-scorecard-week-of-july-15/

The bad scheduling obviously had a bad effect on Tuesday's ratings. Viewers probably had no idea what time it was airing. OLTL rebounded the next day while AMC didn't until Thursday. Thursday was OLTL's most watched day so I hope they keep building.

• Members

It looks not great but with airing 3 of the week's four new eps on the premiere Monday, I don't know what to make of it. Plus the back to back eps 1 & 1:30 and 3 & 3:30 eps are the same episode so if you add them together then its better totals unless of course some people just watch twice. Oy vey. I have a headache from trying to do math. Happy to see or at least I think OLTL seemed to grow over the week. Interested to see what they do this week with the new eps spaced out over 4 days rather than frontloaded on Monday.

Just saw Soap Opera Digest is labeling summer fling off to a "strong start" according to the ratings on OWN.

• Members

Headache inducing, indeed. It looks like the numbers aren't bad compared to previous weeks with different programming (but sometimes that included a movie and sometimes not?? ) Just pair the new episodes back to back--how hard is that to do. 1-2 AMC/OLTL 3-4 AMC/OLTL repeat, or whatever.

• Members

I agree- I don't think this is helpful for the non Internet fans who are just now figuring out the show is back- I met a bunch of senior citizen 40 year ABC fans in the hair salon over the weekend who had no clue AMC/OLTL were back but were thrilled to try it on OWN. I'm sure they were confused by constant repeats.

But if thats the goal is just filling space, maybe the ratings threshold is super low.

• Members

I am an optimist. First, it seems as if people for both shows figured out the schedual fairly quickly. The last two on Friday on AMC are in the 6 figures isn't surprising because people who were confused and missed the episodes got caught up on Friday. Anyway, because the week ended strongly on both shows I am sure word of mouth will bring up the ratings fairly quickly. Either way you have to start somewhere. I think this may have been a good move because they have more ratings than just airing one episode on each day. That said, once they begin hitting half a million they should pair them down or do what EricM22 said.

• Members

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm flaming the old AMC versus OLTL fan wars, but it makes me happy to see AMC bring in the most viewers overall for all the airings and for all the episodes on the first day after those fake ratings last week and the doom and gloom certain posters derived from them.tongue.png

That would make more sense than airing the same AMC and OLTL episode twice in a row each day.

Archived