AMC & OLTL Get Summer Run On OWN

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm so glad this is happening. I don't really like to watch shows on my computer except when I miss something, so this works great for me as I have only managed to watch the first 2-3 episodes of AMC.

This is a good deal all around and I hope OWN continues with it past summer.

• Members

I am wondering if cutting the episodes to two per week was a smokescreen for putting the shows on TV. What I mean is they are planning to start from day 1 on OWN and OWN plans on airing M-Th for 10 weeks so cutting to 2 episodes a week would give OWN a chance to catch up in time.

• Members

Some good news! If OWN is interested in airing the reruns then the shows must be doing somewhat good on Hulu. I don't blame Oprah for not picking them up two years ago, because they are a huge undertaking expense-wise.. however, I can see her airing the reruns and grabbing some of the viewers with a lack of good internet, or only own Ipads (that make you sign up for Hulu plus).

I hope they do stay on Hulu as well as air on a cable network.

Makes me wonder if Martha Byrne's upcoming show Gotham might have a place down the road on OWN.. or another network?

• Members

Maybe it's time for the P&G fans to start lobbying P&G again. Oprah can't do anything about those shows while P&G won't let her.

My first reaction was bitterness as well, but if the reboots do well on OWN and the GL/ATWT fans start lobbying for both shows together, who knows what can happen?

• Members

I think the only images they should keep on the openings are the ones with the character names. The other images seem choppy such as the one in the middle of the AJ/Mirranda screen. I don't mind the names on the images I wish they would change the font or even have the actors do them like the 2002-2003 opening. It would also be nice to have frame around the images or even make the image partially transparent and fade in and out of the opening so we can see the shots of Pine Valley.

As for the music I wish they would have created a jazzy version of the original theme or even the jazzy theme used from 2000-2002.

• Members

I don't think they did. I think that they cut the swearing to fit in with OWN's standards and tried to spin it as a "listening to the fans" thing. I wish they'd just waited until this news dropped then said they would be making some changes to the language instead of acting like the prudes were calling the shots. Obviously I prefer the saltier language but if this is what it took to get a cable deal then I can live with it since it was pretty obvious today they weren't cutting ALL the swear words. Just the rated R ones.

• Members

The P&G ship sailed. AMC was lucky to be part the of the ABC daytime of the 1980s that came with a good demo and a pop culture resonance. It got lucky again that it got canceled so recently to benefit from the new streaming media acceptance that wasn't in place just a few years ago. Back when the soaps were canceled people on this very forum said no one would want to watch shows on their computers but now with these shows, Arrested Development, Netflix in general and whatever else I am forgetting, original shows online doesn't seem like a fairytale anymore.

Anyway, I believe that if AMC was not canceled then OLTL would never have been picked up by PP, and that the only other shows PP would have been interested in would have been GH and DOOL. I didn't like Oprah's stance back then, but if she is willing to air the shows now, more power to her. The people saying she is a hypocrite need their heads examined. Would it serve the shows better if she decided never to air them so she can stay she stuck to her position? How is that more satisfying?

• Members

But isn't that OWNs standards because it appeals to prudes? Maybe not really prudes, I'm not sure that's a fair word. I think these shows have always been PG and that's what many people still expect. Especially the daytime audience and I think that's probably still the majority of the viewers both of OWN and these shows.

I prefer the saltier version in theory. In practice it was a little rough at times.

Archived