AMC & OLTL Get Summer Run On OWN

• Members

OWN had a vision, it just wasn't a realistic one. Oprah wanted that network to be all about positive thinking, live your best life, self-help stuff and soaps didn't fit that. Now that she has a different vision, one that includes scripted drama which makes soaps a better bet, especially THESE versions of the soaps because they're more diverse and far less misogynistic than they were. This is simply a case of both things: OWN and the soaps being forced to change and finally finding some overlap.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm glad too!

I would love that! They must have found a way to negotiate the language for the OWN run (I'm not familiar with OWN really, so I don't know what their standards are in terms of cursing).

I think it would be cool for the network to run as a summer series or on primetime series schedule--that could work.

Sounds like PP is going to have a lot to discuss on this week's Podcast.

I hope some of you will call in and ask questions, I don't know if I will make it for the Live show--the heat in the NYC area will probably put me to bed by 9:30pm.

I hope PP's execs will return tomorrow for that Podcast.

• Members

Oprah is smarter than many give her credit for. I know some soap fans are still incensed (they forget that Oprah is a businesswoman) but it seems like Oprah was looking for the revamped version and she likes what she sees (the ratings are probably pretty decent if she's willing to give it a go).

• Members

I think there might be screenshot on an earlier page of this thread but basically he responded to SoapsInDepth's tweet that this is hypocritical coming from Oprah who refused to save them initially- he said "This from the woman who said there wasn't a dime left to be made from these shows."

If he had said ANYTHING remotely wishing the show well, I wouldn't care but now it just looks petty to me. Just continue to not acknowledge it but don't snark on a project that people you worked with for years are working hard at.

• Members

Thank you, all mighty O. No one needs to utter nothing bad about this woman bc, regardless, she heard the fans and eventually answered. I stood up for you on another board when the death knell on the shows was originally rung and rapid soap fans went wild. So glad that she's providing a platform for these, however, remaining smart (Discovery too) about not funding these shows at the moment. All things fall on PP still, but I just hope that IF PP decides to do the unthinkable that people don't go back to assuming that Oprah and Discovery are responsible for picking up the tab.

And ReRon shut the f-ck up. Bitter ass queen. Keep your eye on GH and pray that you remain there much longer. You might be bowing down and kissing the queen's feet in the future.

• Members

After all the back and forth and drama of the last few weeks I feel like pieces have fallen into place. The union stuff got settled quickly and easily, the prudes didn't really win the battle of the swear words and the soaps are in the hands of Agnes Nixon AND a single, black woman over 50, basically the antithesis of everything ABC thought was valuable. Once we get Vee's Prospect Park Uncensored up and running it should be the summer of soaps.

I have promised myself that I would never tweet RC. It just feeds the beast.

Archived