AMC & OLTL Get Summer Run On OWN

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is such great news. I'll definitely catch up with AMC this way. If OWN keeps doing this, I may just cancel Hulu Plus and watch the shows here.

When it says they will air the first 40 episodes, that doesn't include those Friday specials does it? Without them, both shows would have aired 24 episodes by tomorrow if I counted correctly.

• Members

I believe it was a mistake not considering the soaps when she was launching OWN. The network had no vision was a total disaster for the first couple years. Having the passionate soap fanbases and two hit shows could've helped her tremendously. And didn't she say in her statement that soaps were dead and had their time? That was a mistake, even then.

• Members

Oprah followed conventional wisdom about those shows at that time. That conventional wisdom just happened to be wrong - as was the aesthetic vision she and Frons had for OWN and ABC, respectively.

I found the way she delivered her message at the time to be condescending and ill-informed, but at the same time I could hardly blame her for not wanting to front all that money herself. This move however, with PP running them, after proven viewership, is a smart business decision. And the fact is that Oprah is good news for soaps, period.

• Members

I don't think it was a bad decision at all. PP still has not proven that removing both shows from network television was a mistake. Shows were dropping like flies, and it made no good business sense for Oprah to dive in and pick them up. What's she's now doing? This makes sense! I see nothing but profit for her while bringing an audience to her network.

• Members

Angie and Jesse are role models in the AA community. Debbi and Darnell are role models in the AA community. Oprah had them on when she had her final 25th year on her talk show. She interviewed both together. It would be great to have them do an interview for an hour show to honor their 30 years working together as colleagues and in real life very close personal friends, BFF for life.

Archived