AMC & OLTL Get Summer Run On OWN

• Members

Ha, thank you cousin! But yeah, if I'm lucky enough to have time to watch in the middle of the day, I'd much rather catch both shows. But when I venture a guess at who OWN's core daytime demo is, both shows will probably do just fine. What they REALLY need to do is run some sexy ads of both shows' youth sets during Degrassi commercials on TeenNick. I don't think of OWN as a particularly youthful network and anyone who has watched these reboots is aware of the strong focus on the teens/early twentysomethings.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We as a community need to stay optimistic. Oprah was saying the same thing PGP was saying for years. I see this as a major victory considering the arguably most powerful women in TV sees this as successful.

I do agree this shouldn't be off-topic because, again, this is a major victory for the genre. CBS/NBC/ABC all said these shows will not be a threat since they will just be online. Well, they are not just online anymore!! I can see GL being brought back to cash in on the "Soaps went from Radio to TV and now TV to the internet". I will go on my rooftop and sing Christmas Carols in July while doing a striptease on my Chimney if I get to here "Guiding Light which went from Radio to TV is now making a comeback. But this time. Online!"

• Members

I think Oprah was condescending in her message to the soap fans, but then again, just reading a few FB posts make me want to scream, so after her being bombarded, I can understand it. I can't stand Oprah, however, and it has nothing to do with the message that she posted.

I got an HDMI cable for my television, connected the shows to my Wii, purchased Hulu Plus and the Itunes package deal - I will support my shows because I support my shows, it has nothing to do with supporting Oprah, luckily OWN is already part of my cable package.

• Members

In one of the articles in this thread, it mentions that OWN's primetime lineup averages around 350,000 each night, with the exception of the two nights of Tyler Perry shows. If OWN promotes this the right way, I could see these soaps doing well. Repeats on SOAPnet were getting higher ratings than that, for all the soaps, so they should be able to pull off at least 500,000 I hope. I just worry the weird schedule might hurt them. They should be airing in the same hour block.

As for the PGP soaps being brought back, I still say people need to think outside the box. Considering how long those soaps ran and how convoluted things became, I wouldn't bring either back in their original form. I'd say the best bet would be to do a remake or a spin-off type of thing (with the same name) and focus mostly on new characters. As it stands you'd probably have to recast the majority of characters if you decide to bring any of them back. A remake of Edge could serve a purpose, same for GL or ATWT if a remake of the original premise. Perhaps even doing a period soap for one of them. I also would suggest re-developing them as a primetime soap that could air either on OWN, Hulu or Netflix. We don't need so many daytime soaps that we oversaturate the market again.

The only two soaps I'd say we truly need are a Dark Shadows remake or Edge of Night. Both offer something we aren't getting anywhere else. And Dark Shadows has such enduring popularity.

• Members

If someone decides they don't want to watch that's their business. BDTW said s/he doesn't like the storylines. If that's the case then there's no reason to watch. Pity watching isn't going to save these shows. They have to find an audience they way any other show does.

Archived