GH50: Week of June 17 Discussion

• Members

Felix is just an offensive character on many levels, and the writing for him is so patronizing. He's a grown man who has no real voice or purpose of his own. We're supposed to laugh as, for the sake of his friend, he repeatedly throws himself at a character who is written as some type of sexual predator - no thanks.

Rafe's ties to the canvas are so thin and forced. None of it is worth the effort. If they want to find a generic pouting twink at least find one with a pulse and some believable ties to Port Charles.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought introducing Rafe was actually a great idea, great history, great potential - but the actual character they created was, against all odds and all his crazy, dark, tortured background, nothing more than another doe-eyed sweet white boy with a hard body and a twelve year old's face that Frank couldn't wait to show off. He's basically just a slighter more vanilla, slightly more naive, slightly more bland and dim version of Brandon Buddy's teen heartthrob Cole Thornhart on OLTL - and his Cole was all of those things in spades. It's a cookie-cutter character for a cookie-cutter role in a cookie-cutter teen canvas that Frank has re-created over and over and over again.

It's especially prevalent on his shows of late, though, and he is a man who is constantly being presented in the press as supposedly knowing better. He doesn't. He used to, but he doesn't anymore, or he just doesn't care. He doesn't care about a lot of things he used to. All he cares about now is plot.

• Members

I don't think DAYS has any black characters right now, but I don't find their writing for minorities to be bad. B&B, Y&R and the Prospect Park soaps are all doing a good job with minority characters, although they're all lacking a gay presence. GH is doing terribly in this regard compared even to the other soaps currently.

• Members

I know that there's women of other races that fill the role too (I actually posted that in my first sentence). Stacey Morasco filled the same role on OLTL that Taylor does now on GH. Britt fills this role too but she didn't start out this way.

• Members
B&B has a slew of black characters being marginalized. I guess it helps that they have one (Maya) that's winning so to speak

Days has Maxine, Abe and Cameron but I think Cam might be the only contract one at least the only one being utilized. Not sure of Abe's status. Cam's big recent story was turning into a stripped to pay bills. Make of that what you will

• Members
they had Dayzee do a 180 and become a selfish, jealous uptight bitch for no other reason than to prop up the flavor of the month, Maya. Her personality change was purely plot driven and she was trashed for no reason which did the character any good. She didnt even get a storyline out of it

Archived