GH50: Week of June 17 Discussion

• Members

Shawn had that cold glint in his eye when he was telling Alexis how he was glad he'd tried for Franco - I'm sure we were supposed to see him as Alexis's latest bad choice in a man, the evil assassin, but it was very, very good work by Blakemore. I was impressed, not disgusted.

Shawn knows what he is, but Alexis has apparently forgotten. The ways they've equivocated with and compromised her character in the last ten years are ridiculous - she's either for or against Sonny every two minutes, but the fact is she's chased after everyone from Ric Lansing to Jerry Jacks; she was raised in the bough of the Cassadines and has tried to kill a couple of them. Alexis is not the paragon of law and order she makes herself out to be, and in her heart she knows she isn't. I'm so tired of watching her be reduced to a collection of wacky cliches, though NLG is just as much to blame for that as the various writing teams. She's not just a screwball lawyer - she is a lot more than that, and she needs to stop lying to herself about it.

I also just think it's nasty business how they have painted both Shawn and T.J. as violent, dangerous or rash in rapid succession - first T.J. punches Rafe, then he's going to lay down with evil vixen of color Taylor because the pretty white kids are sharing a virginal kiss! And Shawn is just a vicious assassin, nothing like Jason or Sonny (or Franco)! It's just a bad, bad trend. Honestly I don't think RC ever tries for this stuff or intends it, but it's what he does over and over with too many minority characters. And really, it goes back to his overall laziness and skewed, plot-driven writing for all characters, not just African-American ones - it just so happens that he makes the least amount of time for the AA characters when he's sabotaging them as opposed to when he's sabotaging the white ones. He is colorblind and tone-deaf to the foul impressions of this stuff.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the fact that michael and kiki actually makes the potential pairing interesting and id love it if GH didnt unQ her to pair them, but paired them and had them not care that much and move past it. her dad and his dad are half brothers and they never knew eachother until now, so while off and IRL maybe gross, on a soap i think its great drama to play up.

carly is being written OOC with dealing with sonny right now, and i actually think RC has done wonders for Carly.

• Members

Nah, I stuck around a while after that. I think I stopped just after the OLTL 3 came back. I just started to fall behind and never really cared to catch up. I have about a months worth on my DVR. I skipped to the Franco reveal at one point but honestly it's just so bad and I don't have the time.

I've been watching Y&R everyday still and I watch B&B most days too. This is the first time I've really quit GH.

• Members

She's had some nice stuff here and there, but now she's about to hit the sheets with Franco - and I'd hardly call it a sea change either way. But as for the petty Blair and Carly argument which is pointless, RC is the one who made the direct Blair parallel more than once, and that was before he began lifting the old scripts to try and pair her with Todd. Which wasn't necessary given the actors' solid chemistry, but Ron is not that original a writer.

But I don't think it's necessary to put either down. My issues with Carly have nothing to do with that. That character has been a slowly-mounting series of wrecks since Sarah Brown left, with occasional bright spots and then compounding problems into problems into disasters. Now is no different.

• Members

Drunk Tinkerbell? Oh my I just spit up over my computer. LOL

That's a better moniker than GOOF - that's the nickname RH earned for his comedic antics from 2001-2003. For some reason, he and TIIC are convinced his stupid comedic schtick is what made him famous and popular.

I haven't seen that man deliver gut-wrenching tortured soul drama since the 90s. What a waste of a once great talent.

Anyhoo, on OLTL he's playing it more straight but for the most part he's just walking through the motions there vs digging deep for any real emotions.

As for Carly fearing Sonny, it's pretty ridiculous considering she took a bullet to the head from him. She needs to bring THAT up and remind him he's already put her in a coma once.

• Members

If they actually had flashbacks of Carly being shot in the head (all they'd have to do is show LW laying on the floor and then you hear a shot), then her reaction would make more sense.

I am biased about Roger Howarth, because I've never been a fan of his acting. I do think he can sometimes produce a good performance, and I think he has a few times on his PP OLTL run, but mostly he just yaps and craps on the carpet like a hyper puppy. It's stupid pet tricks, Carlivati style. And they have gutted so many characters at GH to make this work. I just don't care about this man or a redemption that even he clearly is not interested in.

Archived