The Young and The Restless Shocker: - Actress Leaving

• Members

The show can go definitely go on without Stafford and Phyllis. She'll probably pop up again in a couple years you never know. Or recast in a year or so.

Even though I will agree that Avery has become boring I'd rather have Avery and Leslie as leading ladies of the show over Phyllis and Sharon any day. Both are heavily ruined goods not fit for carrying major storylines anymore or even be considered heroines.

Aside from the early Jack and Mary Jane stuff, Jack's last good love story was with Phyllis. The story had actually started under Nelson working for Jack and Diane to spy on Newman but ended once Jack was done with her services. They picked up with Stafford's return and was boring at first but man their relationship was such a fascinating tangled web to watch there in 2002-2004. The best scene I recall was Jack and Phyllis on the defense when they were forced to have breakfast with Gina and Diane after both moved into the Abbott home(Gina had moved in following the fire, while Diane moved back in so Jack and Phyllis could be close with Kyle).

Nelson was good as Phyllis, mainly playing on Phyllis' more manic side between the Sasha fiasco and the implosion of the Romalotti marriage with Danny learning the truth about Daniel and the ensuring divorce and custody battle from hell. Nelson carried it all quite well, and was well received back then but for some reason during the Phick era got a lot of hate, probably from people who didn't actually watch the first go around.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Any character can be recasted....but not every character can be recasted SUCCESSFULLY....

Phyllis is one of those characters. Michelle Stafford owns the role...for life. The haters will say other wise but shes part of the package of Phyllis Summers Abbott Newman.

I tend to forget about Jack and Nikki just cuz Nikki for me will always be tied to Victor (especially since they have Victoria and Nicholas together). Much as I think Jack/Nikki makes so much sense in my mind, I can never bring myself to root for him over Victor.

But yes Peter Bergman is SOO excellent when it comes to the corporate storylines and anything having to do with the boardroom. I think if he worked out a little bit more and had more sex appeal he could easily have had more successful pairings.

God without Ashley and Phyllis I'm at a loss as to what will make me watch day to day. I do love Jill but she's never been my ride or die character....

• Members

The show survived for years without the Abbotts, Newmans and Winters as well, but they're still integral to the Y&R of today as is Phyllis. And as much as I love Nikki and Jill, Phyllis has become much more integral than either of them in the last decade (Jill especially).

You're comparing Phyllis to BROOKE?!?!?!

• Members

I don't care so much about recasting, I'd rather they kill the character off with no possibility of a return.

Phyllis has not been a lead character all year, and you know what, she works better in a supporting capacity for me. I don't think the show is better (or worse) when she's on the frontburner or not. One character does not make or break a show.

• Members

I'm far from a hater. I loved Phyllis for close to 20 years, but I still think she could be successfully recast, in fact, she already was. I didn't care for Nelson's version of the character, but she did succeed overall as Phyllis. I'd rather not have the role recast, but if Jill and Jack could be successfully recast, there is no reason the same couldn't happen for Phyllis. Again.

• Members

Respectfully, that's your opinion but I don't see Phyllis as being "integral." We all know that if Bill Bell would've continued to write the show, Phyllis would've in a jail cell or dead. Redzilla can pop out all the Newman and Abbott baby she wants, but she will NEVER be integral to Y&R for me. I can do with or without her. Preferably without her. And if she goes, she can take Avery & Summer with her, thus erasing all traces of the Summers clan for the time being.

• Members

ITA. Jack's strength as a character as a combination of this family relationships (his devotion to his sisters and sometime difficult relationship with his father) and his business rivalries mostly with Victor, but with Brad and others. Jack throwing the office chair out of the window and walking away from a semi-conscious Victor will always be soap classics. JG is writing for him, but like with Victor, it feels like they are being transitioned into supporting roles for the next generation.

I always remember Josh Morrow's sycophantic interview not so long ago where he talked about JFP as a coach and called himself an athlete. He also implied that while he embraced JFP/JG that others had a problem with them. At the time, I wondered if he was referring to MS. Now I am thinking that he most definitely was.

• Members

Y&R will be fine without Phyliss. I hate that disgusting creature and I'm still mad she got away with what she did to Paul and Christine last year.

This character is neither needed nor wanted (by me) on this show. Bye!

Archived