DAYS: May 2013 Discussion Thread

• Members

I don't know if Days really is that deep and complex! LOL. But I do know that the past few episodes featuring scenes with Nick got me thinking about what he went through and what he was trying to say to Gabi. OTOH, his dialogue was very simple and spare and this is a soap so dialogue/exposition is everything. Characters mostly say what they mean (and if they don't, it is made very obvious to the audience that they may be lying).

OTO, Nick's dialogue did not present any concrete answers or quick solutions, and that's maybe why it all felt ambiguous and unfinished to me. Like, what is Nick going to do now? He has a lot to work through. Where does that leave Gabi? Did he really feel nothing for her all these months?

LOL, I basically used this thread as a means of discussing stuff on the show that is prob said, over and done with in 10 seconds. :lol:

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Your entire post is why I love Nick's and to a lesser extent Gabi's storyline. It's not pretty. it's extremely complicated. it's messy, and it's choke full of major and minor human frailties and mistakes.There ain't no rainbows and unicorns. It's about shattered dreams and harsh realities. It's about Nick knowing he's F'ed up and trying desperately to find his footing. It's about Gabi realizing that her HEA has exploded, but realizing that despite that, her baby comes first. This is the type of pairing that I root for in soaps. I love it. I really hope Days bring them back together. I want it to be a slow process, one of substance. None of the silliness of the Dannifer, Safe, and Wilson quickie breakups and reunifications.

• Members

Really liked this week's episodes, especially performances from ED and BB. Cool to see such amazing performances in two different storylines. Somewhat random (especially since I was just discussing excellent performances and neither character has had Emmy-worthy portrayors), but I would have liked to have Shawn and Belle around just because of their connection to so many characters. Especially given how close Brady and Belle used to be. But this would be mostly as background players ala Lucas. I'm not sure what they should do with Eric. I was so excited to have him back, but I'm not sure where I think they should go from here. Nonetheless, these week was great on Days for me. I personally didn't mind the Kristen reveal not taking place at the wedding because realistically it was mostly just DiMeras attending (and their reactions wouldn't have been as interesting as if Brady's whole family was there), but I can definitely see how that would have made it even better!

• Members

Yeah it does feel like they don't quite know what to do with Eric/Nicole. At the same time I do want to see where they go and am glad they aren't burning through story. This doesn't quite feel like the beginning of a story. But I can see a possible Brady/Nicole/Eric triangle starting.

I am also interested if Brady starts using again. Part of me thinks this is in the works. Firstly Hope made a point of telling Kristen that Brady will be testifying against her and then the scene in the park with the dealer. Maybe Brady will be too far gone to testify.

I do have to wonder what is in store for Kristen. So far they haven't written her into a corner, but now that she is alienated from most of Salem again, what can they do? I am sorry her friendship with Jennifer is going to end. It would be interesting to have her become friends with Anne or someone who isn't so goody goody. And the love of a good man who isn't a white knight would be great. I almost want to see her with a guy like EJ (but obviously not EJ). Can you imagine the love/hate passion that would ensue between Kristen and a man like that. I think it would be awesome. Especially if they are wreaking havoc on Salem together.

I like Hope as she is. Kristian Alfonso has been pretty solid, as has James Reynolds. Maybe they won't give them an A story, but I like the idea of other A stories having an effect on them and giving them a B story.

ETA: I also want to say get Kristen out of John's orbit, I am sorry to say that Drake/John are the weakest link to this show right now. Even Dee/Marlena doesn't need him. She was just as interesting without any man in her life, and since they can't afford to use her a lot I don't see the point in keeping them as a couple. It is almost Roman/Marlena 2.0. That fire they had isn't there and again Marlena would work so well on her own. Plus the divorce and John leaving would give her some story for a bit.

• Members

I agree the Kristen reveal would have had more shock value if it had been in front of an audience (especially if it were at the wedding with multiple episodes to play it up!) but I know it may have been a budget issue... I still think the writing/execution went off amazing!!! Kristen looking up to see Marlena standing over her = priceless

• Members

Finished up this week's epsidoes.. WOW. Another amazing week - I agree with others that I know DAYS can go from amazing to drudge on the flip of a dime.. but I really really hope they keep this up! Even though alot of drama has played out these past few weeks there still seems to be alot of potential still going forward!

1) I can't speak enough for how great it is to see the cast interact in umbrella storyline. I LOVED scenes between Adrienne/Sami, Hope/Marlena, Hope/Stefano,Adrienne/Gabi, John/Victor, etc.

2) great drama played out of "where is the baby" when Sami thought the baby was kidnapped. Love how she jumped straight to Nick and she acted it well.

3) Loved Kristen on her knees in DiMansion, such an appropriate throwback scenes to 97-98. So good!! And LOVED LOVED LOVED Kristen/Marlena interaction.. especially Kristen looking up to see Marlena standing over her.. We've been waiting for a few months to get a good feud between these two and it was worth it!!!

4) I also love how they've kept the momentum going with the Will/baby storyline straight into the Kristen reveal with no break in the momentum.... I think this is what makes viewers be "hooked" on the show... continous movement from one storyline straight into the depth of another.

5) Lucas and Sami together = gold. It's worth repeating.

6) Also worth repeating is how much more tolerable (notice I didn't say 'enjoyable') but tolerable Shawn Christian is in the supporting role where he isn't forced down our throats :)

7) Lucas and Will have a father/son bonding time talking about fatherhood = amazing! Love these two!

8) I have said before, but I love how faith is continuing to play a role in storyline.. Eric praying for Brady. It's very realistic and true to character.

9) Loving JJ. I think the storyline of him being a "pothead" and troublemaker seems a little out there and a little storyline driven, and not as much character driven, but I'm ok with it for now because of what he's doing to Daniel. The JJ storyline seems to be the shallow storyline comapred to the deep depths storylines of Will/Sonny/Nick and Kristen/Brady.. so that's ok

10) I saved the best for last.. my huge kudos for the week. Heck, huge kudos for the YEAR goes to Blake Berris for his OUTSTANDING scenes this week with Maggie and Gabi. I was SHOCKED at how raw those scenes were and how real Blake's acting was. Five gold stars!! These past two weeks have Emmy reels written ALL over them!! Blake's scenes this week, Eileen and Deidre's scenes this week, Chandler & Freddie's scenes last week, even the actress who plays Gabi (blanking on her name right now) - her scenes. Amazing!!! And definitely DAYS needs to submit these episodes for Outstanding Drama in their Emmy reel next year for best drama!

Keep it up Days.

• Members

Blake Berris is too old for Younger Actor and has to submit in Supporting. I agree he will beat anyone of any age though. I agree with Cat about Nick and Gabi's storyline, also hope they work their way back to each other. And yes, DAYS is that deep and complex with this story!

Loved Caroline with Will and Sami this week! Agree she's still really good and agree it's great the show is continuing the Alzheimer's thread.

I love it that Kristen is not giving up on Brady. It's not over for this story or this couple by a long shot. There are some fears I've seen people have that Kristen is going to be "loony" and obsessive about it, but the way I see it, it is a misunderstanding. Brady thinks that Kristen didn't love him, which we know is not true. Once he realizes that Kristen is genuine about her feelings, he will forgive her. I hope at the very least Brady will be friends with Kristen at some point, and also that if there is a question of him testifying, he will ultimately decline to testify.

I think Jennifer will not stop being Kristen's friend, and I think she and Daniel will try to bring Kristen and Brady back together like Kristen did for them.

Marlena was really coming across like Kristen said, a "smug sanctimnious" "word I don't use" (in the words of Maxine). This is why I didn't want this story to ultimately be about Kristen and Marlena, despite the history and although most everyone else wanted it due to that history -- because it would mean Marlena ruined a happy couple and it would make me hate Marlena, which it has. I am glad, though, that Marlena rebuffed John's attempt to pick up where they left off, and it's not only because it means Kristen did at least get her revenge to some degree.

I think the reveal would have been a little better as the wedding was taking place, with there being some real doubt whether the wedding would be called off, but I like the way the show did it too. It did allow for continued reactions across the week, as JackPeyton pointed out. Also, I liked seeing Chad and EJ there for Kristen the next day, especially Chad, as his being such a fan of how Kristen had found love, was one reason Kristen had allowed herself to love Brady.

I guess JJ did do drugs that other time after all, and probably dealt in London too. He hasn't learned his lesson at all. But he called it himself when he was manipulating his mom, it stems from losing his dad and not having his dad there to guide him, so I can buy the story and still feel for him. I also feel for Daniel not knowing quite how to handle the situation. Hope Jennifer can see how much trouble JJ is in soon.

Overall I haven't been posting much because the show is so flawless/perfect, like JackPeyton said. I can't begin to describe that perfection with some piddling post.

• Members

The one opportunity they lost was when Kristen was giving her speech to Marlena and was walking down the aisle on Thursday's show. Anyone notice that, they used a mid-waist shot on her. They should have shown a wide shot with the empty seats around her and her detached look walking down that little aisle.

I really don't know that Jennifer and Kristen will remain friends. if Brady is hurt Jen isn't going to easily forgive Kristen.

ETA: I also meant to say I have no idea how Kristen is going to get out of this one, but it looks like she is going to try. Will be interesting to see what happens.

• Members

Kristen basically only made one mistake, at the beginning. I don't see Jennifer turning her back on her. Brady is hurt because he is choosing not to believe Kristen. Kristen is the one who is really hurt. Brady lied when he said he would never stop loving her and nothing would break them apart and he would never do what his dad did to her.

• Members

Yeah I don't see what Kristen has really done for Jen to turn her back on her. Jen has seen Kristen distraught, knowing something was troubling her and I think she has seen that Kristen has genuinely changed and struggled with wanting to be a better person, all the while not thinking she deserved anyone's friendship or love. Jen bore witness to her crying and opening up about that and that wasn't fake. Plus Kristen was really there for her as a friend through all the crap she went through with Chloe. I think it would be a bit out of character for Jen to just drop her. What could change is Kristen going after Marlena now and making no secret about it

• Members

From a historical perspective, it's hard but not inconceivable that Jen and Kristen are friends given that she was initially sceptical that Kristen had been reformed but was won over as time progressed. But Stefano, Peter and Daniel Scott did awful things to Jack, Jen and Laura. Kristen knew Peter was alive and Nurse Lyn was drugging Laura and yet did nothing about either of these things, even when Laura begged her for her help. I understand that it is in Jen's character to give the benefit of the doubt and believe that Kristen has changed. But discovering that Kristen arranged the mugging should be a bridge too far for Jen to believe that Kristen has changed - a case of fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Archived