DAYS: May 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
I think the revelation of someone getting busted does lose some punch when it's not in front of a group of people. Reaction shots are key - it's part of the visual storytelling. The wedding didn't need to be lavish. They already had the room set up and you could've had Jen, Dan, EJ, Sami, Cameron, Chad, Abby and Stefano there.

• Members

So not having a reaction shot of every single one of those people took away from the story, made it less than, for you? I thought the reactions we did get were good and the people needed for the story were there.

For me, it didnt. The story wasnt about them, I saw the reaction from the people I needed to see it from. I actually would prefer smaller group for stuff like this because then it can trickle down and you can get more scenes from the fallout. Dont get me wrong, I love a big, spalshy soap event reveal, but i just dont think they are very doable anymore and im just ok with that, as I am with obvious sets reuse, and characters bumping into things, etc..

• Members

tumblr_mnmr4pgiDZ1rtrgefo2_250.giftumblr_mnmr4pgiDZ1rtrgefo1_250.gif

tumblr_mnmr4pgiDZ1rtrgefo4_250.giftumblr_mnmr4pgiDZ1rtrgefo3_250.gif

man Nick is a damaged young man. Poor thing. I was a fan of his from before and hated how dark they made him but today made things make a lot of sense. Heartbreaking hearing his story. What I ddint egt though his that he said it wasnt all Jensen. Anyone else catch that bc it seemed to have been sweeped under the rug. So did he take pleasure out of Jensen forcing himself on him? Is Nick gay and the reason he was so ashamed was bc he didn't want to admit that?

"First of all, my condolences on your upcoming divorce. John told me" laugh.png Kristen was on fire today! I love how unhinged she came and is now even more determined to get at Marlena. She looked evil and psychotic and I fully endorse her getting her revenge

tumblr_mnnpnlIpEj1qlrtq2o3_400.gif

tumblr_mnnpnlIpEj1qlrtq2o1_400.gif

tumblr_mnnpnlIpEj1qlrtq2o4_250.giftumblr_mnnpnlIpEj1qlrtq2o5_250.gif

Awesome exchange

is it a budget thing? Bc Brady/Kristen's wedding was set to be smaller than Gabi/Nick's anyway. It wasn't at the church and much less people were going to show up in a way I kind of agree with Jack. Out of the guests you list, the only one that would be truly shocked that mattered was Jen. Everyone else either already knew Kristen wasn't redeemed or didn't matter

• Administrator
No, it doesn't take away from the overall story. It takes away from the actual revelation...it took away from scenes, the actual episode, what I'm watching onscreen. I also think the lack of people made it less soapy. Almost every great memory of a revelation/someone getting busted happened in front of a group of people. Then if you just want to have one-on-one or two-on-one scenes, you do that after.

• Members

I'd argue the difference is the absence of Dena, her awful stories and BTS power struggles.

I get the impression some stuff was edited out to catch the episodes up because of the pre-emptions last week. I notice everytime a pe-emption takes place, the show speeds up and skips some beats so friday cliffhangers are re-alligned.

I too am worried what happens after this, given Tomsell can be wonderful (most of 2013) or terrible (everything from after the Daysaster until Xmas last year). All the new stories taking off haven't gained enough momentum yet to match the intensity of the last 2 weeks. A drop-off is inevitable I guess, but as long as good scriptwriting and in-character driven set-up takes place, I'll be good!

• Members

I think Nick was referring to Vargas. Not in the sense that Vargas also raped him, but that he was beat and forced to work for him. Even though, yes, Nick garnered protection as a result, it was still a relationship based primarily on fear and intimidation. Think back to their first encounter in the park, the way Nick was visibly afraid of Vargas who stood there with wrench in hand. Reminding Nick of how things were in prison. What he could do if not obeyed. Even now, Vargas has Nick under his control via the threat of violence. He showed up at the hospital to remind Nick that nothing has changed. He's still to do his dirty work or he will suffer the consequences.

• Members
i suppose but him admitting he didnt love Gabi and how it was a lie and fantasy almost made it seen like he was using her as his beard bc he didn't want to admit he was gay. It just doesn't make sense to me at least that after everything that's happened he doesn't feel anything for her unless he just isn't into her like that

• Members

In a way she was his beard, but not in the hiding his sexuality way. And though he said he doesn't love Gabi, I think he does. He's just so screwed up now that he doesn't know what's real or delusion. I really can see the show slowly building their foundation on solid ground and bringing them back together.

• Members
I feel like he forced himself into a relationship with a woman because he felt less than a man after being raped. In Nick's head it wasn't about loving Gabi it was just about throwing himself into a relationship so he wouldn't have to deal with this. It could explain why he was so clingy at times.

Man I wish Chelsea was here for Nick now and I could get my Nick/Chelsea reunion :P is she still with Uncle Max?

• Members
Yeah, this too. Your post hark back to Vargas' comment to Nick in the hospital. He told him that what happened to him didn't make him any less of a man. Nick then gave him a long look and Vargas backed off.

I really enjoyed geeky Nick and cool, but problematic Chelsea. Hated when the show broke them up.

• Members

Yeah, I don't think the show is trying to say that because Nick had this happen to him, he is gay. Rather, that this was violence pure and simple, a violation of his very humanity. In Nick's mind he associated what happened to him in prison with something akin to 'being gay' and he realized almost too late how wrong he was.

To Gabi, I think he was trying to say that he married her for all the wrong reasons -- to escape, to make himself feel like a 'normal person' again. And that he wasn't at all honest with her about what happened to him, or what he did to Will, or even who he is as a person. Nick doesn't know who he is anymore and has to rebuild himself from the ground up. I hope Nick and Gabi find their way back to each other, personally.

• Members

I think for both Nick and Gabi, they married as an effort for a new start and personal redemption. For Nick, you explained it beautifully. Just the idea of Will being gay and the father of the child he wanted to raise was enough for him to start unravel, even though the link is tenuous. I agree that he subconciously equated Jensen and Will as persecuting him, joined by the precarious unrelated false commonality of homosexuality. He knows he is wrong, he has admitted it. Now his healing can finally begin now (although how one is supposed to recover from that is beyond me).

Gabi, on the other hand, has just had her pretend world snatched from under her. I think she is deeply ashamed of what she did to Melanie. She can't really atone for it, but rather resolved to be a better person for everyone else but especially Arianna Grace and Nick was a large catalyst of that. Now she has just been told it was not real. it was very telling that she told the baby she will always be loved, because hopefully it means she will keep her [!@#$%^&*] together. I think she will wager to go it alone (with Will and Sonny) - she believes she will be strong enough. I mean besides Rafe and Will, she really has no-one - Abigail would toss her in a heartbeat if she learnt the truth about Melanie, Arianna is dead, Dario is who knows where, Rafe is in a coma, her mother is a judgemental absentee basketcase. Now she doesn't have Nick either - This could be a watershed moment of strength for her.

I would love them to find their way back to each other, but realistically I can't see it happening. Not in the near future anyway.

Archived