DAYS: May 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm up to Thursday and I agree...a good week. I thought Vargas was the one who raped Nick especially with all the counting of days in prison....lol...

I will say I think things happened to fast from Will being shot to Gabi having the baby to Will finding out that Nick was a bitch to a prison inmate......lol.....

• Members

Watching Friday now. It really *feels* like Days and they are really nodding to their history but not in a pandering way like the McPherson/Thomas era felt. They are using stuff that happened 15 years ago to advance the current plot and it is working because it's not just some stupid retread.

Marlena, John, and Kristen are crucial players in the storyline and it doesn't feel forced. It feels organic.

Eric as a priest isn't working and I just can't see Greg Vaughn evolving from Jensen Ackles. Nicole is languishing to me.

• Members

OMG I just went to NBC's website and looked at the sneek peak of next weeks photos for Days of our Lives and it looks SOOOO good. Everyone needs to go look. Ill definately be tuning in. One of the captions were about Nick so go have a look!

http://www.nbc.com/days-of-our-lives/photos/sneak-peek-wk-of-52713/13448/

I love how good DAYS has been. Its back to being a character driven, well written soap!

• Members

WTF? Looks like Antoyne was right about Johnny getting the photo. I watched the show and did not see him take it. When he had that flashback of looking at it, I don't even recall that either. How could I miss such a big plotpoint and how did Ciara not notice it was missing?

• Members

Last episode when Ciara was at the Pub she was upset and said she needed to talk to Johnny, but Hope told her they had to go. It's technically the next day or so since it was stolen, right?

• Members

Friday was difficult to watch for me – not because it was bad, but rather as someone rooting for Kristen not to fall to her need for rectification of the past (or on a more superficial level – revenge). So much of Kristen’s identity is wrapped up in John’s rejection of her (from her viewpoint) that I guess it was too much for her but to succumb to his advances (no matter how gross John is). ED has played Kristen as being the victim wronged, despite the terrible things she did. That is not to say she doesn’t acknowledge the terrible things she did, but rather she justifies them as rational consequences of his choosing Marlena over her. I really wanted her to choose a life and a future with Brady, but that doesn’t define her and hence here she is, destined for misery again. And ED has acted the hell out of it, adding nuance and subtext where I don’t think Tomsell had considered (at least I don’t think).

I wasn’t feeling Ericole on Friday – they seemed off as did the whole Melissa Salmons script, a rare dud from her.

• Members

Amazing week on DAYS! Without a doubt the best week of 2013..probably the best week since 2009. Acting was on par, directing was on par, everyone hit it! I have lots of comments.. but I'm going to try to keep them condensed.

1) I can not express enough how much it brings to this show to have the kids involved.. Ciara is gold. So is Johnny. Having Marlena/Johnny scenes = amazing!

2) Love having outdoor scenes - the cabin and Smith island sets were well decorated. And Salem looks so much better at night. I wish we could have about 50% of the scenes outside take place at night.. The show just looks better at night.

3) I am a Chad/Abby fan.. their scenes are always great.

4) The acting by the young crew this week was amazing! I think Blake Berris was the best (and had the best material) but ALL of the younger cast (Camilla, Chandler, Freddie, Blake) knocked it out of the park!

5) The Sami/EJ fight/make up was classic and intense. Great exection.

6) It's worth repeating. Kate=Sami= gold. Marlena+Hope=gold. Keep it up!

7) Loved seeing the cast integration at the hospital (and really all week with the baby storyline) THIS is what soap opera is! Having a cast interconnected and all playing off one another. At the hospital we had Will, Sonny, Nick, Gabi, Marlena, Hope, EJ, Lucas, Kate, Maxine.. all interacting. So great to see this! I know these scenes are probably more time consuming (and therefore more expensive) to make..and I understand you cant do it every week.. but once a month or every other month it really is a treat to see that many characters interacting at the same place in interwoven story.

8) Love the JJ/Abby interaction.. and I love JJ's personality and his dark side.. it's making for really good story (and for a character that I actually care about who has history on the show!)

9) Marlena/Lucas scene was gold! Love their interaction and the use of these two amazing vets! C'mon Days.. bring SOMEONE in for Lucas to have a love interest..

10) LOVED the scenes at Will's bedside with Sonny telling him how long he had waited for him and Lucas telling him he is a better man that he ever has been. I have always loved Will so much because he really is a "good guy" character and one we have seen grow up and we can relate to and understand.. He is vulenerable and real... Love those scenes.

11) Abe/Marlena scenes were great! Again, loving the cast integration! Especially with these characters who have to much history.

12) Just to take note - Days has its BEST week of the year (quality-wise) IMO and most seem to agree this week was AMAZING and Dr. Dan appeared in 2-3 episodes as a SUPPORTING character.. Hmmm.. Enough said. I just like to repeat my point in case any of TPTB read this and need reminders :)

and the only complaint I have this week..

13) My heart sank a little bit when I saw the "Kristen's hotel room set." I was like "ohhh no. Not again!" haha. Hopefully this time, the set will have a very short stay :)

• Members

Strong week! But I think the show has been at a consistently high quality since January, except for when they were overdosing on Chloe trying to wrap up her story.

I bought Sonny's professions of love by Will's bedside for sure. Also I think it was genius for Sonny to deliver Gabi's baby -- love that they brought closure to the whole hate thing over what she did to Melanie. A soap cliche route (although it still wouldn't have been that much of a cliche given the groundbreaking nature of the story in general) might have had Will delivering Gabi's baby. I also bought the comedy of Sonny being overwhelmed and not knowing what the f to do during the childbirth, because I would probably be as clueless as him if not more so.

Saw earlier up thread someone asking who scripted Monday's episode. It was Richard Culliton.

Loved Nick being so concerned for Will and Will saving Nick. Vargas also is the one who ultimately saved Nick and Will by giving Hope the info about Smith Island, so she could barge in with the gun at just the right moment, which Nick doesn't know and which I don't think Vargas even fully realizes. I like how Vargas was both still lording it over Nick and concerned for him too -- their in-prison dynamic was probably like that as well when Vargas was protecting Nick. I am not sure why Nick feels like he can't go to the police though about what Vargas is doing. What does Vargas has over him?

I did catch that Johnny had taken the photo from Ciara the day that it happened. But it was quite briefly implied. Maybe you were FF'ing or just happened to be looking away when that was happening, Cheap21?

I agree it's great that Ciara and Johnny have been so involved with the story and they are both played by excellent child actors. I think one of the twins playing Johnny may be better than the other because sometimes he's good and other times he's really good.

Nice Abe/Marlena scene.

I got a dead feeling from Kristen and John going through with their plan ... I am dreading the fallout and feeling so sad for Bristen ... I hope Kristen will stop it on Tuesday (too bad no episode Monday) ... Then the photo will come into the play but I think Brady could still forgive her after the photo and maybe even if Kristen were to go through with it with John ... He loves her that much. I am holding out hope that hope may not yet be completely lost for the couple and they may yet end up getting married.

Archived