Prospect Park Sues ABC Over ‘One Life To Live’ & ‘All My Children’ Licensing Agreement

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Reading the actual lawsuit is interesting. PP is also suing for ABC signing the three actors to long-term contracts when ABC only had short-term rights to the characters and for ABC planning to give them new roles, specifically talk about an actor (Roger Howarth) was supposed to return to GH as his OLTL character (Todd) after tapping for 4 weeks, but ABC decided he'd play a new character instead and PP believes having him play his OLTL character (Todd) on their show, while he plays a new character on GH does harm to OLTL.

• Members

Well, number one, they didn't lose them all. Number two, I think they were willing to live with it and share if they were given an equitable deal. I don't think GH was prepared for that. Or prepared for the return of OLTL on any terms other than Frank and Ron's own. And I think that drove this clusterfuck up to now, and I think that much is on them. Do I think it is worth suing over, unless PP can document that they absolutely did violate terms of control and use? No.

• Members

Ha! I called it in an earlier post. It was obvious that ABC was in effectively breaking the terms of the licensing agreement by trying to keep the OLTL characters on GH. Any subsequent agreement that PP made with ABC does not nullify the terms of the original licensing agreement unless they have a written contract to that effect. No doubt they will end up settling regardless.

• Members

Well PP had to have licensed Tea and Blair to them too, so I have to wonder how much of this is about the use of the characters and how much of it is the disrespect that they showed them by not consulting them on storylines and then throwing that Tomas mix into the pot when he was 100% never licensed. I mean, did ABC really think PP wasn't going to get them off the ground? I'm starting to doubt it. They obviously had to talk to Jeff or Frank or someone to get the five characters. And they're saying they wanted storyline input - something they would only want if they intended to resurrect the soaps. And I bet they told ABC, Frank and Ron that. They just didn't listen or care and that's their own [!@#$%^&*] fault, plain and simple.

• Members

Yep. I think so too, and I hope it's soon - I hope they settle it with access to Easton and KA and let it go. I'm not looking forward to watching DC rend its garments for the next 72 hours. This is going to be another martyr circus.

Archived