Prospect Park Sues ABC Over ‘One Life To Live’ & ‘All My Children’ Licensing Agreement

• Members

I think everyone in this situation looks bad. And I don't think it's necessary.

I think PP too often has the sensibility of a double-barrelled shotgun. This is the kind of thinking that got them in deep with Susan Lucci, which I still have not forgotten despite loving what the shows they're putting on look like now. They do things a different way. And I don't think this was the way to do this, though you never know. I think it's a bad move.

I also think GH and their team completely did them the dirty. They refused to deal with the reality of OLTL coming back without the chosen ones, and hoped that with a lot of off-record chatter to soap bloggers (They don't want to do it! No, really!) and a few well-placed story turns (Starr owns the Haunted Star! Rafe is like a son to John!) they could grease the wheels and continue getting anything they wanted. It didn't happen. I think they dug their heels in, spouted a lot of bullshit, possibly misled some of the actors and possibly violated the terms of the usage agreement.

I just don't know how to reconcile either of those sides and their issues to each other. I just hope they settle fast. Neither show needs this.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, exactly, as did I, but what I'm saying is PP is claiming their rights to usage and control were violated by those actions.

You're saying it can't possibly have been the case because look what they did. PP is saying it only happened that way because their rights were violated. It may or may not be true, but it has happened before, many times in many cases, and it is a legitimate complaint which may be legally actionable. Whether you like it or not.

Those "cliffhangers" were real different originally. The ones that finally made it to air were the sanitized versions PP had to order them to hastily rewrite.

• Members

Per the lawsuit: "ABC is threatening to to pull from its network Prospect's OLTL advertisements (for which it paid considerable sums) because they feature the very actor playing the part licensed to Prospect Park" Interesting. Sounds like ABC doesn't want to advertise the shows on the network because RH is featured as Todd.

• Members

It's a little more complex than that; this company owned that property.

The lawsuit's language is totally ridiculous and sounds like an angry fangirl, but if there is legal language actually prohibiting some of what they did, who knows what will happen. I can totally see GH planning to bluff their way through with leaks to the soap press - they thought this would never get this far.

• Members

You are pro-ABC because you are cherry picking what we do know for sure in favor of ABC. It is clearly not true that PP "said nothing." We have heard for months that PP was attempting to negotiate with ABC to get the characters back. If PP had not, you would probably be claiming that they were wrong to sue without doing so. I don't see how anyone (unless they are pro ABC) can claim PP is a sore loser for demanding that ABC keep to the terms of the licensing agreement. This is America, most people with money stay rich by not letting people roll over them.

In any case, I am enjoying watching ABC get hoisted on its own petard. Nothing like incompetence getting just deserts.I'm out.

• Members
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>ABC on @<a href="https://twitter.com/prospectpark">prospectpark</a> lawsuit: "We haven't seen the complaint or been served so we can't comment."</p>&mdash; Soap Opera Network (@SoapOperaNetwrk) <a href="
18, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived