GH: December 2012 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Outside of sassy friend, I would assume a gay character would just be there to be gay-bashed or talk about AIDS. ABC wasn't exactly all that interested in more when Ron tried it at OLTL.

I don't care anymore, as long as Ron doesn't do another story about how being gay-bashed is a great reason to scheme your way into a relationship.

• Members

Lawd knows I think Ron is a sorry excuse for a writer who shouldn't be allowed to pen so much as a grocery list but even I will give him credit for what he tried to do with Kish. From from the little bits I saw, if you remove the offensive, noxious, hateful travesty of the way he used the character of Layla in order to facilitate that story it was a decent one. So maybe its possible that this character is going to amount to something and isn't just a cynical, pathetic attempt to get double diversity points in one character.

• Members

And yet, what they did with Layla was the best thing she ever did on that show and gained her a real fan interest, as opposed to trotting around carrying Evangeline's veil and singing accompaniment on their random musical interludes. She was also, for my money, a better actress. She did great work that year.

I don't mind Felix. It's a small part, but I'm happy to see any people of color and particularly LGBT people of color represented. Prior to OLTL a couple years ago I can't think of a single example of that on daytime.

• Members

While you could say it was unrealistic for Layla to get over Fish using her as quickly as she did, I did enjoy the friendship between them, and I thought that group was a nice sense of family and friendship in a show where I no longer connected to any of the main families.

After the Kish stuff I began to feel like it would be better if soaps just didn't have gay characters at all. Nothing I've seen since has changed my mind. But if GH can do tokens in a manner which doesn't involve being beaten and traumatized, then that's an improvement. I still can't believe that turned out to be the main purpose of Lucas.

• Members

I agree that Tika did excellent work with her one scene where she was allowed to express genuine emotion. She was great with the scraps given to her. That doesn't change the fact that they were scraps. I wasn't impressed with her at first but Tika Sumpter grew into a really amazing actress. That aside, I was actually complimenting him on what he did with Kish and hope that he brings that level of writing to the gay character(s) on GH and a better level of writing to the black ones.

But I don't think he will.

But that friendship wasn't earned. Layla went from sleeping with Fish to trying to figure out what t-shirt to wear to the Llanview Pride Festival. She got one scene where she was allowed to express her heartbreak and pain then she turned into Kish's hag. It was nauseating.

Argh, I shouldn't have even mentioned it. Layla/Kish and Tarty are two soap stories that still make me as sick today as when they happened.

My apologies to the GHers for threadjacking.

• Members

He also got all excited about being in a "dancin and singin" show and said that he grew up listening to original soundtrack albums (though any good theatre fag would know they're called CAST albums, unless they're for movies sheesh). He hit all the sassy *black* gay best friend stereotypes in about 2 minutes. When is the makeover montage?

• Members

Felix and Epiphany will soon be trading bisquit recipes!

I dunno, sure I know friends who behave kinda like Felix (but not at work, more when they're drunk and playing itup at the gay bar), and there might be something to be said about how any gay soap character on *contract* before has been played SOOO noffensively straight as to make some point (though they certainly have had queeny, jokey gay recurring characters before), so there is some hope of some decent story with Felix.

And wouldn't a gay cliche like him KNOW that to just slap on some dark heavy lipstick would make her look ridiculous? I thought they were meant to be there to give the women brilliant makeovers (which of course we know is coming up anyway)

• Members

I actually have a friend who acts just like Felix and I love him to death. I just finished today's episode and I laughed when he called Brit "Dr. Westnile" lol. But I enjoyed the suspense today. The Robert/Anna/Faison or "Duke" suspense with Robert in the hotel room. I seriously thought that crazy doctor was going to shoot him but instead she hid on the balcony and then left when he went to a different room. I also liked the Sam/Tracy/A.J. scenes. I think there is more to that relish that Edward left Tracy I just can't figure out what. Speaking of Q's I want to know what that secret was that Heather supposedly knew and the Q's didn't.

Archived