GH: December 2012 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What was the point of even mentioning Pine Valley? For starters the show ended with Stuart in the hospital. Now RC takes it upon himself to write it as if Stuart is out of the hospital and doing art shows? That was a dumb move. If the OLTL characters never make their way onto the GH canvas again I won't be sad. Starr serves no purpose to this show. She is so irritating to me. I am enjoying everything else though. Anna/Faison/Duke/Robert/Luke/Helena and the Dante/Lulu thing and the funding of the Nurses Ball but I just wish they would get those OLTL people out of the picture.

• Members

There's always been throwaway mentions of other towns. I recall seeing a "highway" sign on AMC that pointed out that Llanview was X miles ahead. As long as it doesn't affect plot, it's harmless. Nobody was honestly expecting any more mention of PV or Skye's connection to the show or any follow up. At least I hope they weren't.

• Members

Well there are some people wanting Dr. David Hayward on GH and all I have to say is NO. I don't want All My Children brought in just like I don't want One Life to Live brought in and that's saying a lot considering I loved All My Children. It's kind of sad that there are only four soaps left and the ones left aren't even the best ones.

Yes. Frank and Ron need to let Llanview go. Starr/Todd/John shouldn't have been put on contract. That was ridiculous. Those three contract spots should have been GH characters.

• Members

I'm not really seeing that. I've seen people say that if Ron were to bring over an AMC character David would make the most sense since he has a history with Anna (unlike say John McBain's made up history with her from what was it? Quantico?) but I've honestly seen no push for him to join.

• Members

The bolded is a prime example of different people liking different things because I can get the Jason like but for the life of me I cannot fathom anything likeable, interesting or even tolerable about EJ Dimera, and while SB may having his own set of acting flaws I can much easier deal with blank stares than the speed blinking, arm flailing tantrums that define JS' "acting" (but JS & SB can both thank Michael Easton and Galen Gering for saving them from title of worst soap actor). I will credit EJ with one thing though - he and his clown villain family is THE reason that I initally found Jason and Sonny far superior by comparison. Now that is certainly faint praise indeed, but Guza's basic concept of "mobsters with hearts" isn't new and it does have popular appeal... as a concept. The plan to turn Michael Coreleone into an ongoing, frontburner character on a daily tv series however should have never been attempted. The "new" of Sonny/Jason quickly wore off and as I got more into the entire show, it became apparent that building the show around the Carly/Sonny/Jason trio was a detriment to what could otherwise be a strong soap opera. I'm glad Jason is gone because it gave room on canvas for more interesting characters (and broke that unholy trio) but I didn't hate the character. I don't hate Sonny or Carly either for that matter, I just hated the one-sidedness of the writing and the idea that of all the characters in Port Charles, these should be the three that everyone else revolved around? I get the appeal of villain characters; I generally like them and/or at least enjoy them more than the good guys but those aren't the characters that you decide are also going to be the romantic heroes and leading lady/man of the show and then shortchange every other character in not only airtime but developed writing. I get why Jason has appeal, it's for the same reason that Fonzie and the Backstreet Boys had their fans too. Jason might be a stock character but at least it was based on a formula that has had successes (unlike whatever the hell has been the plan for the one from that other soap who deserves no more of my time in discussing). As for Jason, just because something is canned and trite doesn't mean it won't appeal to the masses... that's why such things become "canned" in the first place. What I'm saying is that I think you found your own answer to the question, Jason had appeal because he was the combination of several successful elements from American pop culture, slow spoken emotionless heroes from classic westerns, the mobster with a heart from the genre of gangster movies, and yes, we certainly cannot forget the ever classic 50's "cool guy" wardrobe and boy band hair.

• Members

Well, mileage certainly varies on the roided goiter because I never under the appeal of the character post-accident, as he was deified for his assholery while never having an ounce of dimensionality throughout the 15+ years that the character sucked the life out of the canvas and damn near everyone in his orbit. One may argue that the 'good son' dynamic was well in place from the minute that he arrived as a high-schooler years before, but never once was he an unfeeling ass and celebrated for being one.

I've gone on record as saying that I much preferred the (supposedly boring) Jason Q. and had no use for the roided goiter once he shat on Keesha, but his character arc could've been a lot more compelling if he'd reverted back to Jason Q. at some point and had to deal with the heinous sh!t that he'd done as the holy hitman-for-hire. Even if we hadn't gotten Jason Q. back in the end, we could've easily had a character who was torn between the man that he was brainwashed to be and the guy that he used to be. Yet, because of showkiller Guza's perpetual hard-on for the holy hitman character that he patched together and placed center stage, as well as the no-talent actor who refused to play Jason Q. because he wasn't 'edgy enough', we were subjected to this rancid character for far too long.

Archived