GH: December 2012 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd be less skeptical about Felix if I wasn't aware of Ron's lousy history in writing Black characters. While he did well with Fish/Kyle, they were white gay men and weren't subject to the Hollywood Montrose characterization (i.e.: Black gay whose sole purpose is to be the sassy magical Negro that provides the [non]-Black character with 'flava') that I strongly suspect will define Felix's tenure on canvas.

While I'm certainly not suggesting that he be an overcompensation of (Black) masculinity to 'offset' his sexuality, I certainly don't want to be subjected to the other extreme because I have zero confidence that Ron will be able to provide him with any layers that transcend that. If Ron proves me wrong (which I strongly doubt), then I will gladly eat crow.

That said, the actor isn't bad at all, though it's too soon to tell whether he has the chops to elevate what I strongly suspect will be shitastic characterization.

On another note, this is the first time that I've seen this Sabrina of which you all have spoken about and I have to say, I'm getting more Theresa Lopez-Fitzgerald vibes than Ugly Betty/Lucy Coe vibes here - and no, that's definitely not a good thing. I don't know if this Britt chick (who I've yet to see) is supposed to be the Gwen in this storyline, but if she is, well, I can't say that I won't be rooting for her against Terrorsita 2.0.

• Members

Everybody in the cast knew by the end. Barry Williams said in his book that he knew fairly early on, while Maureen McCormick said in hers that she was one of the last cast members to find out (she had a crush on him from the beginning).

I don't get stalker/psycho vibes from Sabrina--not yet, anyway. More of a younger resident with a crush on an older doctor who's in over her head.

Sabrina's nickname on TWOP is Mouseburger; she's also been called Hipster Glasses. Britt, meanwhile, has been called Evil!Britt, BrittBitch, and perhaps my favorite, Brittch (Britt+Bitch).

• Members

Exactly. The stereotypical queen character, although his dialogue was more innuendo than Felix's was, has been around TV for AGES. IF they give this one a love interest, and still keep him effeminate, that would be more refreshing, but otherwise having a sidekick like him (even carryinbg lipstick, something I could see Paul Lynde having done as a joke on some sitcom, or that prissy gay character on Are You Being Served--granted a UK show) is really nothing new. Like I said, I am a bit tired of how shows now often like to go the *other* way, by having someone not even remotely stereotypically gay be gay (we get it, gays are often just like everyone else) so I suppose it's a difficult situation until more than one or even just two gay characters show up on the same show. But for now it seems like they killed two birds with one stone--they have the cliched sassy Black sidekick, and the cliched sassy gay sidekick, in one!

Archived