Most OUTLANDISH Storylines in Soaps

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Even though I enjoyed the story it was totally outlandish in my opinion, Carl and Rachel on Another World. Every other line was Mac changed Rachel through love and Rachel had changed Carl through love. There was a big difference between bad girl Rachel and evil Carl Hutchens. How could she sleep beside him at night without thinking about all of the stuff he did to her.

• Members

For me, the most outlandish storyline was from ATWT, a soap usually grounded in reality. Shannon O'Hara was married to her swashbuckling Scottish beau Duncan McKechnie. Duncan , of course, had a psycho ex-wife (Lillith) in his past, who wanted to remain the ONLY Mrs. McKechnie. Duncan received a "gift" from Lilith. He opened the present and was shocked to see Shannon's shrunken head (I'm not making this up). To make the scene even more ridiculous, Duncan (upon seeing the little kewpie doll noggin) wailed in his fake Scottish brogue "Oh Shannon, my wee lassie!"

• Members

I actually had to stifle a laugh aloud at that. When on EARTH did this happen? Was this some writers' strike stuff?

As for me, most outlandish stories are always going to be those crazy, out-of-this-world kind of stories. Casey the Alien, that Lumina crap on AW, Stefano "dying" because of a fire on that skating rink that lit on fire because of some crystal (I have only read about this so I hope someone can explain it to me better) on DAYS. And of course, the devil possession, and Melaswen. GL's Clone Reva?

• Members

I HATED that turn of events. Carl was off the canvas when I last watched around 1990 but I tuned back in toward the end of the show and was completely taken out of any kind of sentimentality with that pairing. It made absolutely no sense that a strong, smart woman like Rachel would fall and love and marry the man who had attempted to kill her and her husband. There's redemption, and there's ridiculous.

I agree with Eterna on OLTL. It was outlandish but entertaining. I still see Viki running around with her costume from Star Trek's wardrobe department.

Archived