Y&R: MAB OUT! Hamner OUT! JFP IN! Griffith IN! Sheffer UNKNOWN!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Which isn't accurate. Corday Productions is the legal majority owner of the show. Corday absolutely has to defer to Sony and NBC because of their respective production contracts, but at the end of the day DAYS is run by Ken Corday and everything has to have his approval.

Y&R, different story. The management agreement Bill Bell had ended with his death and Sony's been a very active part of the show ever since.

• Members

I could support JFP with Kay Alden/Josh Griffin as HWs, but this is just nuts. Hollywood Heights is also terrible and Griffin/Bell weren't a good team to begin with. It was very dull. I also wonder what this means for Jess Walton's return....

• Members

You would think SONY would stay clear of giving Y&R to JFP given how awful the ratings for Hollywood Heights have been. At this point, maybe Brad Bell should pull double duty, I don't always agree with everything he does on B&B, but he'd probably do better than anyone else.

• Members

I agree. JFP wouldn't necessarily approach Y&R the same way as GH or any of the other shows she EP'd. Y&R is about its vets and history and I'm willing to keep an open mind and give JFP a chance to deliver on that. I know this is unpopular but I also love the idea of a Josh Griffith return (as a writer, not a producer). His 2008 stint may have been boring but it was very character driven and he seemed to 'get' Y&R much more than the current regime - I think he and Sheffer could balance each other out well. And with JFP in charge of the technical side of things I think it could actually work out.

• Members

If Brad heading two shows isn't practical, cut Alden loose to return to Y&R. Maybe Jack Smith too. They were schooled by Bill Bell. They know Y&R's unique way of telling story, and know the history of the show and characters better than anyone. Bringing someone like JFP as executive producer would only work with a strong head writer or head writing team. She has no history with Y&R. I'm not sure she would ever get Bill's original creation unless some of the old guard returned.

• Members

I can't view JFP with an open mind, especially where Y&R is concerned. She's made a mess of too many shows in the past. Her track record is checkered at best. I think she did tremendous damage to GH, and there's nothing that makes me think she won't do the same at Y&R. As for Sheffer remaining: no. He's been a misfit at Y&R from the beginning. So much of his storytelling is plot driven at the expense of characters and their histories. Hamners out, Sheffer should follow.

• Members

I don't disagree that Y&R needs new blood, but the EP's talents have to match the needs of the show they're heading. Nothing in JFP's career so far makes me think she would ever get a show like Y&R. It's nothing like the shows she headed at ABC, NBC or GL at CBS.

Archived