Y&R: MAB OUT! Hamner OUT! JFP IN! Griffith IN! Sheffer UNKNOWN!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IMO fire the head writers and have Y&R with no official head writer. OLTL in 1999 had no official head writer for a whole year and so perfect opportunity to JFP appoint herself as ghost head writer. We had Ben/Blondie in 1999, Dorian hit and run against Jessica, Delphina, Sam/Nora/Lindsane, Sophia, Roseanne-Jessica-Will and tons of music montages. It was pure amazing stuff.

• Members

Even the writers are tired of writing MAB's non-sensical fragmented mess? Gosh, I wish I could say that I thought for a second that we would get a good version of our classic Y&R back. It could be done so easily with a lot of junk SLs resolved off-screen. And a lot of unnecessary characters given the boot(s). Get our favorites back onscreen front and center pronto! Wouldn't that be lovely? Wouldn't that be refreshing?

It is such a disservice what has been done to our beloved Y&R...

• Members

I'm sorry to hear this. It's just a revolving door of behind the scenes soap people, isn't it? That's what is killing daytime television. Good luck to you Y&R fans. I feel for you. But I'm thrilled she's no longer on GH.

• Members

I'm imagining Sonny and Jason taking over Y&R now. Oh well, considering what MAB has done to it can the show get any worse? As much as I wanted

JFP gone from GH, she'd be a step up over at Y&R.

Maria is the one that needs to be canned.

Sony wants full control? Who has full control? Bells? Who has full control of Days and B&B?

• Members

I don't think losing the Bells to the likes of JFP would do anything but destroy Y&R completely. What is needed is strong writing. True, the look of the show isn't what it used to be, but people principally watch for the storytelling, not the sets and lights. JFP might fix the visuals, but she's clueless when it comes to story. Look at how long she allowed Bob Guza to destroy GH with dark stories about the mob, weekly murders, infant deaths and the like. I think she would be a horrible fit for this show.

The Bells have full control of B&B. It's owned solely by their family production company. The share control at Y&R with Sony and Corday Productions.

• Members

Sony has majority ownership of Y&R, but deals were in place during the lifetime of Bill Bell that guaranteed him control. Since his death, Sony has gotten more and more involved in the program and the results have been disastrous. Corday Productions and Bell Serial Company also have ownership stakes in Y&R with Bell Serial owning a high minority percentage while Corday Productions owns a very small minority stake.

Corday Productions has majority ownership of DAYS. Bell-Phillip Television Production has absolute ownership of B&B. Those two shows are family run businesses.

• Members

There are effectively two owners at Y&R and the network: Bell Productions, Sony and CBS. Maria Bell is the headwriter for Bell Productions, Sheffer was brought in by Sony and Hamner by CBS. Remember, Sony hired Sheffer for DOOL and he went ficore. CBS loves the Hamner familiy because of Earl and The Waltons and Scott's first daytime job was as script writer with ATWT on CBS.

DOOL operates in much the same way, Corday is executive producer and the rep for Corday productions, Meng is the exec producer for Sony and de Cazotte is the executive producer that represents NBC. Both shows suck because they are not written by creative types; the stories are designed by delegates of the three owners/bosses because each is trying to hold onto to its share of the profits. It's as simple as that.

Bell Productions got a lot of latitude with MAB at helm for four years. Now we'll see who gets to command the ship.

On DOOL, I think it was NBC or Sony that wanted McPherson/Thomas. Now we have NBC and Sony coming back in and installing prior Santa Barbara/Sunset Beach folks (Tomlin and Whitesell)

Archived