AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I feel that the outrage OLTL fans have towards AMC is silly, since OLTL's ratings were only a tiny bit higher than AMC's when both were cancelled. (Carolyn1980 has pointed out that--in primetime--a tiny ratings difference like that can lead a network to keep one show over another. However, that is pretty much irrelevant, since ratings of just about all primetime shows are much higher than those of daytime soap operas.)

However, what is not silly is any outrage OLTL fans may have towards GH. Since GH's ratings are (generally) just a tiny bit higher than OLTL's, there is no logical business reason why GH shouldn't have been cancelled alongside with it. Instead, it appears as if the real reason why GH was spared is because Frons begged Sweeney to give his favorite show one last chance to succeed.

• Members

Again, I think people are fantasizing way more than what actually happens. If ABC wanted to pull GH, they'd pull it -- whether it was Frons' favorite show, or not. GH has done better in the 18-49 demos more consistently than AMC or OLTL. February Sweeps definitely helped GH in that regard. ABC most likely gets more money from GH since it's its top performer more weeks than not in the coveted demographic. I'm sure if AMC was his favorite show, as much money as it's costing (losing) the network, Sweeney wouldn't be like "Awww, ok, Brian. Since you've pleaded..." The show would still be axed.

I don't get, with as superficial and capitalistic our society has become, that people still think business is done on a sentimental basis. The only thing business feels any kind of sentiment for is M-O-N-E-Y!!

• Members

He really shouldn't say things like that, because it makes me look forward to GH being cancelled just so I can see him have a public breakdown. :lol:

Seriously, for a long time now, I've thought that MB lives vicariously through his character more than any actor or actress I've ever known. He'll literally lose his own identity when he can't play Sonny anymore.

• Members

Addie Walsh posted a picture on Facebook of the storyboard for the final week of AMC and I got all excited to see what I could make out, only to see things like "Opal sleeps with Zach" and "Angie regains her sense of smell" lol.

But the picture does reveal they were laying out the final episodes last week, the final episode tapes August 30th, and will be episode 10,712.

• Members

What's wrong with it? Do you have a link? Because everything I've seen about The Chew looks perfectly fine. It seems like perfect fare for the stay-at-home, homeschooling, suburban, nouveau soccer mom. Instead of back from the dead, who's the daddy and evil twins, it's greek yogurt, artisanal cheese and makeovers.

Archived