AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Members

I'm thinking since Agnes and Susan Lucci have both continually given hope in the press that AMC will find life after ABC (it will go on)... I'm sure these offers are valid. I also think Susan knows that Brian and/or ABC Management has declined those offers, and that has pissed her off, hence the tone and attitude when speaking about ABC/Frons in the press. All makes sense/ties together. That resentment makes sense.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's too bad ABC owns the characters because if there really was interest and AN was so inclined, she could have gotten creative with it and done something under the banner of her own production company a la Loving/The City (which are available for international syndication).

• Members

It really shows you, yet again, the contempt that those at the networks have for soaps, and that they have been actively killing these shows. It's one thing to say oh well fans are pathetic to imagine anyone would ever want these shows and gee daytime has been dying since 1952 and what can you do? and it's another for networks to not even allow anyone else to make even a token effort to keep these shows going.

• Members

I just posted this in another thread, but I think it relates to the discussion here, as well:

Of the two shows, OLTL is the one doing better right now, both in the key demographic, and critically (yes, I know some hate it....I haven't watched it in years...but clearly, a large number of people out there like it).

So if you're another network and you think, "Wow, OLTL is doing well. Let's try to pick it up," you have to take into account that the two people responsible for the show doing well right now (Frank Valentini and Ron Carlivati) are not going to go with the show if you pick it up. ABC locked them into three year contracts last year, and are plugging Carlivati in over at the much-derided GH. I suspect Valentini will also end up there when they break the news to Jill Phelps in December that her contract isn't being renewed.

In other words....why pick up a show, even one you think is doing well, if you have to find other people to run it? Especially with how history shows a change in regimes at any soap can quickly mean disaster.

So in other words...after much thought...I can't see anyone wanting to risk picking up either show, not even the solidly performing OLTL.

• Members

I wish someone can explain to me how Agnes is able to make this deal with Fremantle if she doesn't own All My Children. There's no mention of ABC here. This was back in 2009.

http://www.fremantlecorp.com/%E2%80%9Call-my-children%E2%80%9D-offers-internet-initiative-satisfy-cross-platform-needs-global-market

http://fremantlecorp.com/catalog/drama

• Members

That really pisses me ofd. ABC will cancel two shows, and not even let their fans have a chance to keep their show. UGH!!!!!! Assholes.

On another note, I find it crazy how this thread has never left the first page since the announcement dropped over 2 months ago.

• Members

Probably the best interview that I've heard since AMC and OLTL was canceled b/c Tristan pretty much sums up the root of the problem with the supposed death of the soaps. People have to understand that problem is rooted within the problem of daytime not the soaps. The soaps airing in the problems is the main problem. There's nothing wrong with the soaps themselves. It only takes one person to course a movement and give the soaps a new breathe of life that hasn't been there in almost 30 years.

• Members

(NEW YORK) — Maurice Benard, who has played General Hospital’s brooding, dangerous-yet-lovable Sonny Corinthos for 18 years says that if ABC gets rid of his soap, there’s going to be a problem. “If they cancel General Hospital, there are going to be riots because these people are loyal,” Benard told ABC News Radio this week. “They love this show,” he said. “So I dare them to try.”

http://abcnewsradio.net/post/6877965319/general-hospital-actor-i-dare-them-to-cancel-us

Archived