Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

I recall Bill Bell stating when he broke up Victor and Nikki in the late 80s..that he wouldn't reunite them unless he knew they were going to stay together.  He said reuniting and breaking up constantly diminishes a couple...and he was so right.  

Was he the one to have Victor marry Nikki in 1998 on her death bed..causing her to pull through..or was that Alden?  

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Ironic. Even in that decade long stretch of being divorced, they were constantly wrestling with being together. Even after that 98 reunion they kept playing around until 02.

I agree. Nick and Sharon are a perfect embodiment of on again off again becoming stale. Writers need to find a plot device other than romantic tension for longterm couples. (I'M LOOKING AT YOU B&B!) Victor & Nikki have got to stop! They're too old now to still be carrying on with their marital issues.

Wrong thread but, the only soap couple I can think of where the constant back-and-forth works for me was Alan and Monica on General Hospital. They always came back to each other, except once when they briefly divorced.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

I loved Daytime TV magazine and bought it every month without fail, but my favorite was Daily TV Serials. I also adored Afternoon TV and Rona Barrett's Daytimers. I wish I had kept all my old issues from the 1960s and 1970s; I had tons of them! Alas, I had to downsize when I moved from a house to a small apartment, and chose to keep scores and score of videotapes instead of magazines.

• Members

Yeah I had so many Daytime TV magazines and others like SOD that got ruined some time ago. That is why I am being more protective and trying to get them scanned, as insurance, haha. Daily TV Serials is great too as Jon-Michael Reed really loves soaps and takes them seriously enough as well.

• Members

i would hope that someone out there is able to scan Afternoon TV issues from the late 70's early 80's.There were a lot of interesting articles and in depth looks at the soaps with interviews with writers and producers. I kept my SODs from that time but foolishly tossed heaps of other mags.

Fingers crossed.

• Members

On TVGuide.com, it says that for Friday November 27, 2020

(day after Thanksgiving in USA),

there is a episode *NOT* marked "new". Original airdate not listed.

It's called "Be Our Guest". (I had no idea what that meant.)

Then I checked the Canadian guide here:

https://www.ontvtonight.com/ca/guide/listings/tvshow?cid=892144823&pid=9251218863&tm=2020-11-27+19%3A00%3A00&provider=T3153330286
This says that on Friday Nov 27, 2020,

CBS will air Y&R "Be Our Guest", original airdate "1991".

After googling, I discovered that "Be Our Guest" is how CBS promoted the 1991 Masquerade Ball episode when it aired April 17, 2020.

That makes sense, because on Monday November 30th, Y&R kicks off a week of a big party centered around the 12,000th episode which airs Dec. 1st.

And Lauralee Bell posted last week an instagram of herself with Tricia Cast and Patty Weaver -- all of whom attended the 1991 ball.

It's too bad that the April 2020 airing of the ball edited out Patty Weaver singing George Benson's "Masquerade".

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Good research! I have a feeling it will be the same episode we saw in April. It would be really nice if they aired the next one. Despite the content edits, I loved having it in crisp HD. I guess there's no show on Thanksgiving?

Maybe they'll air some nice classic Christmas episode this year since they're in nostalgia mode.

• Members

Hmmm.  That would be neat. I don't know for sure that it's Oct 2, 1991. 
I made the assumption based on the "Be Our Guest" label. But I could be wrong.

Thurs Nov 26, 2020: B&B and Y&R will be preempted for a CBS Thanksgiving special and NFL football.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I'm also assuming that if they're using the title "Be Our Guest," it would be the first day of the ball with all the introductions. It just makes sense. But it would be really weird to air the same episode twice in one year. October 3 had musical performances by John & Leanna, Mamie, and Lauren & Traci (guess all but the last one would be cut) plus Nikki's appearance. That would be nice to see.

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

I'm not a fan of modern-day Y&R.  That being said, I'd like to see Y&R switch to airing four new episodes a weeks, with Fridays being classic episodes only, hopefully going back into the half hour eps even, and simply piece them together, like they did with the first two.  As for the new eps, speed up the storytelling, and go back to the Bill Bell style of storytelling of moving things along, rather than being stuck in endless loops forever.