Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The 1984 clips in the vault just keep getting better and better. 59b in particular is unbelievable:

• Victor & Nikki starting their plan against Jabot and Mergeron.
  • Victor & Ashley officially meeting and having dinner for the first time (part of Victor’s aforementioned plan)
  • Nikki chatting it up with Marc Mergeron.
  • Jack marrying Lindsay for the negatives (although we all know where they actually ended up)
  • Brent Davis showing up on Kay’s doorstep.
  • Kay about to tell Dina about Brent.

And it looks like all of this happened within 1-2 consecutive episodes between August and October 1984. I’m in awe of Bill Bell for knowing what he was doing here in terms of setting up the longer-term story.

• Members

That’s what we said about Dina when she made her initial entrance (way too Dynasty). And if our benefactor is highlighting the Victor/Nikki/Ashley clips in this storyline up till now, then I would suspect we will see just about *everything*, including Victor and Jack.

• Members

So now it looks like we're getting into scenes of the Newman - Abbott worlds colliding for the first time.  In 1984 clip 060b, Nikki (substitute Nikki due to illness) is starting to get into it with Jack.  As I recall, Victor and Jack scenes came not long after that, and the rest is history.

Edited by trainman

• Members

Definitely agree, Marc was a Dynasty like character, I suppose it was because he was suppose to be some fancy rich European ex-pat. I think there was a break in between Marc’s stints, he came back to romance Joanna if I recall right but I don’t know why Bell even thought to bring him back as I believe Dina was leaving out in 1986 or so.

There was a sister named Danielle Mergeron but I don’t think she ever appeared on screen or if she did it was just a very brief appearance with no story. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

Robin Eisenman is actually doing a decent job here as substitute Nikki. Granted I can’t help but wonder what MTS would have been like in those scenes, but we obviously know that she and Terry Lester had amazing chemistry later on down the line.

• Members

For those asking about Marc Mergeron, indeed he had two contract stints on the show (Jan 84 - Dec 84 / Sept 87 - Aug 88) so roughly 2 years.

Marc Mergeron was first seen in Rome in January 1984. He saved Ashley Abbott, who was on a business trip, from a masher. They flirted without knowing who they were. Marc arrived in Genoa City in February 1984. His late father, Marcel, was married to Dina Abbott, Ashley’s mother. She was very unhappy to see him in town. He immediately flirted with Julia Newman, who was looking for a candidate to be her baby’s father. Ashley was shocked to learn who Marc was but felt attracted to him despite being engaged to Eric Garrison. Dina arranged for Eric to see Ashley and Marc kissing. Getting drunk to overcome his betrayal, Eric slept with Julia who became pregnant. Ashley and Eric ended up back together and Julia kept mum about the one-night-stand.

Marc admitted to Ashley he thought Dina had forced his dying father to give her control of the family company, Mergeron Corp. He was also sure Dina and John Abbott were not legally divorced thus making Dina and Marcel’s marriage invalid. When he realized Dina’s son, Jack Abbott wanted to take over Mergeron Corp., he blackmailed Dina. She would give him her shares of the company if she wanted him to keep secret she was still legally married to John.

Meanwhile, Ashley realized she was too attracted to Marc and broke her engagement to Eric. Jack told Ashley that Marc could destroy the Abbott family if he revealed the truth about Dina and John being legally married and Ashley was torn between her attraction to Marc and her loyalty to the Abbott family.

As her marriage to John became rocky, his new wife, Jill, became sexually frustrated and tried to charm Marc. They eventually slept together but Marc kept on trying to dig dirt and wanted to know why Dina deserted her family years ago. He was unawared that Victor Newman also had an interest in Mergeron Corp.

Dina was shocked when she saw a man from her past, Brent Davis, in Genoa City. He assured her he would not stay but she spent money to track him once he left. Marc learned about it. He was suspcious and questioned Ashley about it. Meanwhile, he decided to go to court against Dina to control of Mergeron Corp. Victor questioned Marcel’s former maid, Monique Morrel, who was sure Dina didn’t force Marcel to give up his company.

Marc learned Dina had an affair with Brent years ago. When Monique told Marc that Dina didn’t force Marcel to give her the shares, he decided to respect his father’s wishes and sold Victor his few shares of the company. He left for Paris just before Christmas 1984.

Ashley was shocked when three years later, Marc visited her. He told her he hadn’t forgotten about her but Ashley was clearly no longer interested in the French playboy who caught the attention of JoAnna Manning. He used his charm on JoAnna who convinced John Abbott to fund Marc’s new suntan project for Jabot. Soon after, Marc and JoAnna became lovers. Marc admitted to JoAnna he was financially strapped and she loaned him money. Lauren Fenmore, JoAnna’s daughter, didn’t trust Marc and was sure he was only using her mother for money but JoAnna wouldn’t listen.

While JoAnna bought a flat for Marc in her building, he tried to charm Nikki Newman hoping she would sell him her Mergeron stock she got from Victor. Marc tried to ally with Jack and both began looking for money to buy Nikki’s shares. Victor gloated when he revealed to Marc and Jack that Nikki didn’t own the stock legally.

Marc sold his suntan formula to Jack and tried to doublecross him. JoAnna was shocked when she learned. Marc then offered to Jill to market her new Male Line to Europe without John’s knowledge. He left for Europe for a professional tour and when he came back, he asked for a raise but Jill refused. JoAnna proposed to Marc who didn’t want to get married. Jack then fired Marc who left for Europe never to be seen or heard again.

• Members

It may have, but as part of some completely different storyline. My reasoning is that Terry Lester’s departure in September 1989 was very sudden, so I imagine there was a lot of planned storyline and scripts that had to be hastily rewritten to account for Jack’s departure. When Peter Bergman arrived two months later, Jack’s eventual marriage to Nikki was written as part of Jack’s ultimate plan of revenge against Victor, which he had concocted whilst he was away travelling. For that reason, I don’t think it was the initial intention to have TL’s Jack marry Nikki.

YMMV though.