Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Here is the synopsis as written, it is possible Kevin or whoever called him simply relayed the information.

'Earl, who's in Japan, insisted he hasn't heard from Allison'

I wouldn't be surprised if he was seen briefly. 

Yep that was it. 

• Members

Thanks! I wonder if we will see that seem in the 83 clips!

Man Y&R was really ripping off GH with those mob scenes! The ones I just watched with Paul, Andy and Jazz trapped in the office with the electrified doors and the poison gas set off by Tony's henchman were VERY un-Bill Bell IMO. 

• Members

@YRfan23 Agree that the mob story is way too General Hospital/Days. If the clips get into 1985, we might see Tyrone in whiteface. That would not happen today.

Watched the fall 1984 clips, things are getting good. That meeting of Victor and Jack at Gina's, there were hints of the eternal feud to come. Was that their first meeting? I wonder how long Bill Bell would've kept the feud going had Terry Lester not left.

• Members

As badly as it pains me to say this (because I ain't much of a fan of Eric Braeden), he was the only male actor on the show who could hold his own with Eileen Davidson in a believable fashion, aside from Terry Lester, who played her brother.  Ashley was given three different love interests between 1982 and 1984, and each of them was a dud.  There was the dude in the lab at Jabot (Brian Forbes), Eric Garrison and Marc Mergeron.   

Eileen Davidson was always "doing something" in her scenes --- rolling her eyes, scratching her head, biting her lip, twirling her hair around, exhaling loudly, rubbing her eyes.  Her three love interests just stood there with bewildered looks on their faces like stooges and allowed her to "steal" every scene that she was in.  They couldn't keep up with her.  They wouldn't try drowning her out.  They wouldn't try developing some interesting mannerisms of their own.  They just didn't play off her "technique" very well.   Terry Lester did, though, because he was full of quirky and bizarre mannerisms, just like Eileen was.  And Eric Braeden worked well with her, because he was older and was a more experienced actor.  So sadly, Ashley was stuck with him, because he was about the only choice at the time.   The ideal love interest for her would honestly have been Terry Lester, but he played her brother.  lol.   

• Members

Oh I dunno, that scene of Victor & Ashley at Gina’s from September-October 1984 had some great dynamic and chemistry to it, and certainly Ashley was intrigued by Victor. But at the time she still had her thing going with Marc Mergeron, so she wouldn’t see anything beyond that yet.

From what I’ve read, they wouldn’t become closer until March-April 1985 after Ashley has her breakdown re Brent Davis (which btw I hope gets uploaded in the clips) and Victor brings her back to the ranch to recuperate, which of course sets off Nikki’s jealousy and her trajectory towards Jack. The build for V&A is there and is somewhat realistic, albeit quicker than V&N. Nevertheless it is one of the factors of Y&R getting to #1 several times during the mid-80s, so Bill Bell was doing something right.

• Members

Eileen did get paired with a lot of duds. Jay Kerr who played Brian Forbes said he hated doing Y&R and thought it was bottom of the barrel where his acting career was concerned. I think he took it off his IMDB page. Where's his career now ?....LOL

Eileen said she loved working with Rod Arrants (Steven) and was sad when he was killed off. Rod adored her too and I assume they still talk to each other when they get the chance.  Eileen left the show after that. If I remember correctly, Brenda Epperson stepped in as the grieving took place. Eileen recommended her as her replacement. 

• Members

Now Brenda Epperson had chemistry with a lot of people...she had the sarcastic vibe of Eileen..but didn't have the dismissive vibe that Eileen had.

She had good rapport with both Jack's, Traci, John....and her end game pairing was Brad.  Only character that she didn't click with was Blade...and I think it wasn't her that was the problem.  Michael Tylo didn't fit on Y & R (he..like Shari Statuck were hired cause of their spouses...though Shari fit in the show...just not as Ashley)

• Members

"Dismissive vibe" is a very good description of it.  

Eileen's Ashley often had this impatient "I don't have time for you" attitude.  I've always seen it as the defining trait of the Ashley character, but could never describe it except with the word "aloof'.  

• Members

So 63a in the vault has pretty much all the Christmas 1984 episode where Kay drunkenly crashes the Abbott dinner party. That whole scene was played beautifully - it’s worth watching just for Brenda Dickson’s facial expressions alone. Even the looks exchanged between Jack, Jill, Dina and Liz just said so many words.

One other thing I found amusing about that episode - that must be the only time I’ve ever seen Dina and Traci have any interaction whatsoever, and it felt so weird seeing that. I know they would share more scenes together in subsequent years, but it seems that any interaction Dina had with her children back then was limited to Jack and Ashley.

ETA: Btw, 1985 clips have started. We’re now seeing the Brent Davis storyline ramp up, which I’m quite excited about. I’ve only ever seen the March 1985 episode where Brent confronts Ashley in the garage, but never any of the storyline either side, so this is exciting for me.

Edited by OzFrog