Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Reminding me the huge ret-conning of Carl Williams going missing for 7 years - and we only find this out on 1998..  

Carl disappeared and had been gone eight years before Paul and Christine convinced Mary to have him declared legally dead.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The Carl/Mary/ruth story was well written and utterly realistic.  You can tell Alden was in charge because St Christine was called to task for not telling Paul what she was doing...even with Nina telling her to be honest.  It was oh so satisfying to have Christine have to admit she was wrong..to Nina (a wonderful scene) and to Paul.

It's a shame that was the last story for Mary where she was given material that made her more than an interfering mother or mother in law.  

• Members

I never understood why they opted to write Mary Williams as such a "cartoon meddler" from 1999 onward.  Yes, it was sometimes funny in small doses, but Carolyn Conwell was MORE than capable of playing a fully developed, well-rounded character who tended to be overly zealous about nosing into her children's lives.  The Mary we see in the old clips from the early 1980s was certainly "overly involved" in her children's lives, but she was also a likeable and well developed character.    

• Members

Yes, it appears that she recurred sporadically (without a contract) from late summer/early autumn of 1984 to early 1985, and then she just vanished without a trace, without a mention, in a puff of smoke.  

We found out in 1986 that she'd been living in London with Snapper and Chris during her "missing period".  

• Members

One of the STRANGEST aspects of Stuart and Liz's "disappearances" was the uncertainty of what happened with their reconciliation, or lack thereof.  

When Liz reappeared briefly in about 2003 to kick-off the "Jill was adopted" storyline, Julianna McCarthy was listed in the credits once or twice as "Liz Brooks" and once or twice as "Elizabeth Foster', indicating that not even the current head writers (Kay Alden and Jack Smith) remembered what had happened between Stuart and Liz, lol.  

• Members

Yea he is definitely gone by mid-83 because Mark Tapscott is not in the credits. I don't think Earl gets a goodbye mention in the synopses. The last thing I remember is that Earl moved back from Katherine's into Allison's hotel suite for a month as kind of a "last try" before Allison granted the divorce.

I'm sure there must have been some dialogue at some point about Earl returning to San Francisco.

Bottom line, IMO, Earl was a boring character so he got shipped off.

• Members

Seeing Ashley in clips pre Victor, I often don't get why Bill bell insisted on ruining and degrading Ashley's character with the Victor pairing?  

Nikki being drawn to Victor made sense based on the 2.5 years of story pre dating her meeting Victor....but I just could never buy Ashley being drawn to him.