Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

They thawed in 84/85 for awhile once Lau4en married Paul.  She even helped Traci come to terms with the fact that Danny didnt love her...and took Tracij to the hospital when she miscarried the 2nd time.

So while she bullied Traci in 83...by the late 80s..the two were cordial..until the mid 90s when Traci tried keeping Colleen away from Brad.

Traci and Lauren both changed for the better.  

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes! AND 51a just got uploaded, and it is a gold mine. Derek & Kay, Lorie & Leslie, Lorie & Nikki, all the Brooks sisters...

But the highlight for me is a damn good scene with Brock and Jill at the Abbott mansion. And this was Jill being refreshingly honest with Brock, in a different way to how she is with Jack. I wish we had seen more of this Jill from Brenda Dickson in her later years instead of the Alexis-clone we had to put up with.

• Members

Re: Kay's Facelift..........I remember reading years ago that the doctor who actually did Kay's face lift was Dr. Harry Glassman the husband of Victoria Principal (Dallas). The actor playing the doctor did the dialogue and on camera work, but it was Glassmans hands we see removing the bandages in the cut aways. 

• Members

No worries, yeah I wasn't sure if people had seen these or not. 

Also loved seeing Leslie, Peggy, Chris and Lorie all together in the lastest vault upload. I know it has been posted before, but for some reason I never remembered that Lorie and Leslie discuss Lance and BROOKS!!!!! so he went to Switzerland with Leslie. 

Edited by will81

• Members

I finally had a chance to check out the Peter Bergman/Alec Baldwin podcast interview https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/heresthething/episodes/peter-bergman-king-soaps
It’s definitely a good listen. Peter seems very kind and thoughtful (too bad I’ve loathed his portrayal of Jack Abbott for 30 years and still miss Terry Lester every day, lol!). Alec is engaged as the interviewer and shares tidbits from his stint on The Doctors (1979-82)

Highlights:
- Peter talks more about his time on AMC than YR. He said the biggest difference btw the 2 soaps is that on AMC, many actors (including Peter) would also star in plays at night. These actors would tape their soap scenes earlier in the day, allowing them time to make it to the theatre to do the evening play.
- Another difference btw AMC and YR, he said, is that on AMC, all the actors congregated in the make-up room to socialize. On YR, everyone stayed in their dressing rooms. Peter said even if he would appear in the same episodes (but not the same scenes) as some other actors, it might be months before he met them in person.
- His firing from AMC was a huge shock he wasn’t prepared for. His wife was 7 months pregnant and they had just bought a NY apartment. Melody Thomas Scott and Ed Scott were on a flight to Canada and Melody had brought some soap mags to read, and they all had Peter’s face on the cover re: his AMC firing. YR had already unsuccessfully screen-tested 6 well-known actors for the Jack recast. Melody says to Ed “that’s our new Jack”. Ed says “I wonder how tall he is”. The YR casting agent then called Peter’s agent to ask how tall he was, and everything went from there.
- Peter hated LA at first and never expected to settle there permanently. In fact, he kept his NY apartment for 7 years after starting at Jack, thinking he would return. Now, he has learned to love LA, and wishes he had embraced the city immediately upon arriving by buying a surfboard and golf clubs.
- He says the show used to tape 1 episode in 1 day, but now tapes Tuesdays through Fridays, (Mondays off) and tapes 5-6 episodes during those 4 days. (this interview was pre-covid). He says it is usually only one take, and they receive minimal input from the director, because the director has no time. Because of that, Peter feels it’s his responsibility to properly rehearse ahead of time with his scene partners.

- Peter knows he is in a very enviable position as a 30-year lead on YR. He says he knows that there are others “behind him” who wish they were in Peter’s position.  (Hmmm who could he be referring to…? Doug Davidson? Christian LeBlanc?)
- When asked what he would like happen to Jack whenever Jack’s last episode will be, Peter said he would like Jack to finally triumph over his eternal nemesis Victor Newman… perhaps murder Victor and then the last shot of Jack would be him being proudly marched off to jail.

• Members

Interesting interview...gonna have to listen myself.  I wonder if it's the actors choice to stay in their dressing room, or that the schedule at Y&R does it accordingly to who's up first for the day...It seems the cast was even isolated offscreen as they were onscreen.

It always seemed like Bergman had a resentful chip on his shoulder regarding his AMC firing, and he always ends up telling the story where they were in NYC for the Emmy's that year (1991, or 1992) and they had just demolished the old AMC building they had used for years, much to PB's sadness, but his wife ended up surprising him later with a Brick from the studio...It's a nice story and he always tears up telling it.