Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

As we speak, our mysterious benefactor has started to upload 1984 clips. They’re up to February-May at the moment. If they continue as they are now, I believe we will eventually see those scenes surface (the confrontation happened in November 1984).

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Clips 48a/48b were uploaded last night. Fyi the full episode titled “Victor, Paul and Andy rescue Nikki from Rick Daros” is available for viewing at the Museum of TV/Paley in NYC, and I watched it there a few years ago. Much of the episode is not included in these clips… here’s my recollection:

The ep begins with Traci having a flashback of a conversation she had with Jack. Jack confesses that he had Tim Sullivan investigated, and discovered that Tim’s ex-protegee had accused him of sexual harassment.
Traci then meets up with Amy at the college café and explains the situation. Traci fully believes in Tim’s innocence but wants to find this woman to ask her why she would make such an unfounded accusation. Amy is concerned and offers to go along with Traci, but Traci says no.
There’s a couple of scenes of Traci going around town trying to find this lady. Once she finds her, this scene is included in 48a, and we see that her story shakes Traci’s confidence in Tim.

Meanwhile, Amy meets up with Jazz for a date. Amy isn’t interested romantically in Jazz – she’s just being friendly and polite. Jazz is very nervous and is trying to seem more educated/sophisticated. Amy tells him to just relax and be himself. Jazz drops Amy off at home. Jazz starts to leave but runs smack into Amy’s dad Frank, who gives Jazz a stern warning about getting involved with Amy.

• Members

I loved some of the interactions in the early 1989 episodes.  Chase/lauren, Jack/Britney, plus Jack/Lauren..and the Abbott breakfasts were fun.

Perhaps Ron C should look at these episodes to see how to write keeping someone in a cage.  Lisa was fascinating and the hair was a character of its own.

I didn't know Leanna met Cassandra...and I liked Jill's chemistry with TL's Jack..plus Michael Crawford seemed a nice diversion for Jill.

Can't wait to get tested to the Jabot takeover story.

• Members

Thank you for this! I'm just getting up to this in the main uploads so I'll be able to complement it. Has anyone else been trying to watch other available clips and episodes in the right order alongside the new stuff? I've been doing it for 1982 and 1983 and now I kind of wish I had written it down, hah. 

• Members

Oooh thank you for the recap.  This is a great to know about ... in leading up to the Classic episode that was aired (during "Emmy Winners Week") on Mon June 22, 2020 -- Originally Aired: Jun 27, 1984, where Traci attempts suicide. 

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Finished the 1983 uploads and watched what was uploaded of 1984 so far. The transition is complete and Y&R is becoming Y&R as we know it today.

So from Summer 1983 to Summer 1986, Cricket showed up for summer, Christmas, Spring Break storylines. She wasn't annoying in small doses, but we all know what was to come in the later part of the decade.

It was daring of Y&R and really brave of Jeanne Cooper to allow the actual facelift surgery to be shown. Katherine's facelift paved the way for reality shows like Extreme Makeover, The Swan, Dr. 90210.

What in General Hospital/Days was that Caribbean remote rescue sequence complete with cheesy 1980s music? Victor started out as Bill Bell's version of J.R. Ewing and 4 years later he's an action hero! Can't believe Y&R went there and had Victor harpooned in the groin 

Please register in order to view this content

Of course little did Paul know that he would have a similar groin injury 10 years later 

One 1980s trend I noticed Y&R didn't jump on the bandwagon of as much was the supercouple craze. Even though Bill Bell may not have intended for it, one could say Victor/Nikki are Y&R's supercouple. Did the soap press give Victor/Nikki much hype from 1981-1984 as they gave Luke/Laura and Bo/Hope during that same time?

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Watching the 1989 episodes on that playlist.  I had no idea Leanna Love and Nina knew one another... and it was nice to see Lauren and Traci during a cold war time..where they were cordial yet disliked one another.

Lauren and Jack would have been an interesting pairing moreso than Scott/Lauren..given that Traci hated Lau4en..plus Paul would have issues.  I wonder if Terry Lester quiting deep sixes those plans?

• Members

I’ve said this before, but bloody hell Lauren’s hatred for Traci ran *deep*. And all seemingly because Lauren was jealous of her. I wish they had delved into that a bit more instead of just having Lauren constantly being a bitch all the time. There were occasions where it almost amounted to bullying of Traci.

But I will say that to Traci’s credit she eventually grew up from that shy reserved teenager into someone confident with her own life and her own identity away from the main Abbott drama. And it’s fitting that she is back on the show as the glue that is keeping the Abbotts together in the absence of John.

By the way, I read somewhere that Lauren and Traci did finally bury the hatchet about a decade ago or something, but haven’t found any scenes on Youtube that would indicate that. Could someone confirm for me either way?

• Members

It was definitely bullying. Here's a recap of that scene from 5/30/13. I saw it when it aired... very touching.

https://www.soapcentral.com/yr/recaps/2013/130527.php

Traci arrived outside Phyllis' penthouse, and she ran into Lauren. Lauren said that she'd been thinking about how she'd bullied Traci in their younger days. Traci called it ancient history, but Lauren pointed out that they'd never cleared it up. Lauren confessed that she'd treated Traci horribly, but she had seen the other side of bullying, and she didn't know if the hurt ever went away. Traci initially said that she had no residual side effects, but then she recalled that she'd recently been at a restaurant, thinking about ordering dessert, and out of nowhere, Lauren's cruel words had flooded into her head.

Lauren hated the things she'd said, but Traci asserted that she was no longer the insecure girl who'd turned to pills, and she'd moved on. Lauren mused that she'd never forgotten, and Traci agreed, but she was glad the subject of bullying was getting attention. Lauren apologized, but she knew that it couldn't make up for the pain she'd caused. Traci said that they couldn't change the past, but it was never too late to become a better person. The women hugged, and Lauren received a text message from Fen, asking her to meet him at Crimson Lights.