Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

My mom was excited when Diane came back in 1996 and wondered if Patty would return (didn't happen at the time).  She even accepted Susan Walter's as a recast cause she had the look and essence of Diane (though she had more a desperate quality that the show wanted to play up that Donnelly couldn't play).  

However, she was not happy about Maura West playing Diane...was too young, didn't look like the other actresses, nor had the essence of Diane either.  Plus, Susan Walter's had come back for a visit months earlier so people were less willing to accept MW.  I'm also hoping the real Diane is out there somewhere..but alas no.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Here's the scene from Sept or Oct 83 with Jill and Liz at the Foster home, at 44:00 https://youtu.be/SmSVKiPr6kQ

You're right, Liz did live with Kay in '84, in fact during this scene I think Jill is convincing Liz to be Katherine's maid so Liz can spy on her.

Not positive if we see the Foster house in early '85 but in the 1/29/85 SOD recap, it says "Since she can't get the money from Jack, Jill tries her mother. But Liz refuses to mortgage her home"

• Members

I could honestly see Alex Donnelly and Stacy Haiduk matching each other up really well. If we really wanted to resurrect some old Y&R, bring back Michael Damian as well and restart the Diane/Jack/Patty/Danny quad (ok maybe I have been just a tiny bit inspired by the old Y&R clips in the vault). It’s a great use of old history.

You see it in a January 1985 episode that’s on the vault. Basically Esther (at Kay’s behest) has blackmailed Jill for $10,000 re the picture. John won’t give it to her without a reason, so Jill goes to visit Liz at the Foster house, and tries to convince Liz to refinance the house.

• Members

Unrelated but I always meant to ask if someone knows what was the "Y&R special" referenced at the beginning of that clip? Was it a primetime special? I wonder why they had a special featuring stars who are no longer with the series? Some kind of an attempt to keep the viewers who were leaving because of all the new characters?

It's so nice getting to see stuff from this era in very good quality now thanks to the angel uploading on the vault. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

Just watched Dina's reveal as "Madame Mergeron"... other than the contrivance of Jack and Ashley not recognizing her under that veil, that was great!  This definitely should have been included as one of the classic episodes for Abbot week, especially since it's interspersed with Victor's funeral, definitely a classic, and we're so lucky to have gotten to see it anyway! It's too bad we jump from sick Victor to his funeral, skipping his "death" and the wake where Nikki tries to open the coffin. Man, EB was good playing a man listening into his own funeral, he really looked like he wanted to jump out and strangle Eve, and embrace Nikki... great storyline so far. 

But what was that Douglas said about he and Victor serving in a war together? Victor doing military service has never been mentioned before...

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

I've been enjoying 1983 clips more than the return episodes.

I think Cricket's first appearance from summer 1983 is in there. It's so odd to see Terry Lester's Jack actually liking Cricket's modelling shoot, knowing what was to happen by the end of the decade.

The mob story is way too General Hospital/Days. Jazz is serving up some Mr. T vibes, I wonder if CBS was trying to cash in on Mr. T's popularity. That reminds me of another Bill Bell element, the educated professional with a troublemaking sibling: Casey/Nikki, Tyrone/Jazz, Olivia/Dru, Neil/Malcolm.

1982/1983 Y&R finished 4th, becoming CBS's #1 daytime drama, with the ABC big three finishing in the top 3. 1983/1984 Y&R moved past One Life to Live to finish 3rd.

Hopefully we'll get to 1984 as that's when Y&R became Y&R as we know it today.

• Members

Just been watching more of the 1983 clips, and I am gonna go against the grain here somewhat - I actually like Andrea Evans playing Patty, especially seeing as she was the one playing the role when Patty shot Jack. Yes I also think Lilibet Stern would have done it just as much justice, but AE does it really well here. I have to remind myself a lot that this was prior to her return to OLTL, so we hadn’t yet seen the over-the-top stuff she would eventually do as Tina Lord.

One thing I found captivating about the shooting episode was that I had a preconception in my head that it would be melodramatic with lots of screaming and wails and gnashing of teeth, etc. But the actual scene was almost the exact opposite - very understated by both her and Terry Lester, yet playing exactly the right beats, and AE conveyed that psychotic break chilledness exceptionally well before pulling the trigger.

The scenes where they re-enacted the shooting to jog Patty’s memory were also well done. It’s been actually rather refreshing watching AE play something other than devious, and I’ve loved every moment of it.