Jump to content


DRW50

Y&R: Old Articles

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, OzFrog said:

 

I think as someone said earlier in this thread, it is literally the story of Dimwit & Dimwit.

Nikki sure is a dimwit if she thinks Victor is a catch. When she did her life history last year she complained the same thing about Greg Foster not be exciting enough for her. She has preferred to be Victor's doormat for nearly 40 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SoapDope said:

Nikki sure is a dimwit if she thinks Victor is a catch. When she did her life history last year she complained the same thing about Greg Foster not be exciting enough for her. She has preferred to be Victor's doormat for nearly 40 years.

 

$$$$$$.  Money talks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kalbir said:

Did anyone like the police corruption/mob storyline from 1982/1983? I get that action/adventure was a big thing on daytime in the 1980s but I find that this type of story doesn't really suit Y&R, it's more of a General Hospital or Days type of story. The 1980s trend Y&R did right was the Dallas/Dynasty influence with Victor, Jabot, and the Abbotts, as that set in motion Y&R as we know it today.

 

This story had its moments as part of maturing Paul's character and turning him into a hero. I can say that I like the moments we've seen, especially the fight scene which was was very well choreographed, and the scene where Paul slips the rosary into Mary's hands at the hospital. There's also some stuff in the recaps that sounds good, like Carl having to humble himself to take John's offer to do security at Jabot and Jack telling him he's just the help! On the other hand, I can see this storyline getting boring day to day. I can hardly keep track of all the characters in the recaps and it's all "Paul is about to make progress on the case, but something happens, and Paul is on the verge of being killed! But then he's fine, and about to make a big break in the case..."  The story kind of drags in the full episodes I've seen, so I don't mind getting this digest version of it in the clips. A lot of umbrellas pop off in this story like Patty fighting with Jack about her wanting to have a child and moving out of the Abbot house, Amy Lewis coming to town when her father gets shot, and even Angela Laurence gets involved in this sphere with the attempted rape, though it doesn't seem to have gone anywhere.

 

What I think differentiates this from the other soaps is there's a lot of psychology/emotion played in the scenes. There was this one scene I read about  where Danny takes Patty to Paul's seedy motel room, she begs him to come home, he is cold towards her and she's crying, and then he says "don't come back here, it's too dangerous" which makes Patty realize that he does still care, and she embraces him, and it takes everything for him not to show his emotions in the moment and tell him he loves her. That's classic Y&R, I can just picture it.

 

1 hour ago, SoapDope said:

 

 

Nikki treats Kevin like crap and doesn't care. She complains he's too nice of a guy, like that is a huge character flaw.  

 

Being that Nikki had an abusive alcoholic father, I feel that this fits her character very well.

Edited by BoldRestless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The segment in 17b/18a at the Bayou was bizarre and not in a good way... Nikki is so delusional she thinks the patrons want her up on the stage... and when she gets on the stage, they give her the silent treatment because they think she's fat... and then Victor announces she's not fat but pregnant, and then gets a standing applause... just weird... Nikki almost seems to be suffering from a mental illness at this point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed in the credits of the 1982 episodes that listed as "Assistant To The Creator" Bill Bell is William J. Asher. I think that is the son of Bewitched Producer William Asher & his wife Elizabeth Montgomery. Bewitched was a Columbia/Screen Gems production as was Y&R.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SoapDope said:

I noticed in the credits of the 1982 episodes that listed as "Assistant To The Creator" Bill Bell is William J. Asher. I think that is the son of Bewitched Producer William Asher & his wife Elizabeth Montgomery. Bewitched was a Columbia/Screen Gems production as was Y&R.

He also served as script writer on Y&R

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3265259/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, trainman said:

 

$$$$$$.  Money talks.

 

Yep, and we see the exact reason right there why Nikki hates Sharon’s guts so much - they’re actually so much alike in so many ways.

10 hours ago, Soaplovers said:

In regards to the crime story of 1982/3...I recall the climax involved Mary Williams kicking butt in a barn or something.  Am I remembering right?

 

Yes it is in the recent clips from 1983 that were uploaded to the vault. She certainly made a contribution, as did everybody in that scene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OzFrog said:

 

Yep, and we see the exact reason right there why Nikki hates Sharon’s guts so much - they’re actually so much alike in so many ways.

 

Yes it is in the recent clips from 1983 that were uploaded to the vault. She certainly made a contribution, as did everybody in that scene.

She was awesome in that scene, you go mary beat there ass lol atleast she had guts then other mothers. 

 

I couldn't see Liz or dina jumping in that fight but i could see Katherine or maybe Vanessa jumping in lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see Liz jumping in cause she has that “blue collar” toughness that she can really bring out...Dina would be too concerned over breaking a nail! 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Between the classics, the uploads, and discussions here, we can pinpoint elements Bill Bell liked to use on his shows.

 

Established upper class families: Brooks, Abbott, Forrester

Working class families: Foster, Williams, Logan

Working class single mother with a scheming social climbing daughter: Liz/Jill, Beth/Brooke, Doris/Sharon

Brothers fighting over a girl: Snapper/Greg, Lance/Lucas, Jazz/Tyrone, Victor/Matt, Ridge/Thorne, Neil/Malcolm

Sisters fighting over a guy: Leslie/Lorie, Donna/Katie, Ashley/Traci, Olivia/Dru

Virgin heroines that are rape victims: Chris, Peggy, Caroline, Cricket

Working class young woman in conflict with older wealthy woman: Jill/Katherine, Nikki/Allison, Brooke/Stephanie, Nina/Jill, Sharon/Nikki

Mothers that attempt to control their son's love lives: Vanessa, Allison, Mary, Stephanie, Nikki, Jill

Messy wealthy matriarchs: Jennifer, Katherine, Vanessa, Allison, Dina, JoAnna, Stephanie

 

I think that covers most of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kalbir said:

Between the classics, the uploads, and discussions here, we can pinpoint elements Bill Bell liked to use on his shows.

 

Established upper class families: Brooks, Abbott, Forrester

Working class families: Foster, Williams, Logan

Working class single mother with a scheming social climbing daughter: Liz/Jill, Beth/Brooke, Doris/Sharon

Brothers fighting over a girl: Snapper/Greg, Lance/Lucas, Jazz/Tyrone, Victor/Matt, Ridge/Thorne, Neil/Malcolm

Sisters fighting over a guy: Leslie/Lorie, Donna/Katie, Ashley/Traci, Olivia/Dru

Virgin heroines that are rape victims: Chris, Peggy, Caroline, Cricket

Working class young woman in conflict with older wealthy woman: Jill/Katherine, Nikki/Allison, Brooke/Stephanie, Nina/Jill, Sharon/Nikki

Mothers that attempt to control their son's love lives: Vanessa, Allison, Mary, Stephanie, Nikki, Jill

Messy wealthy matriarchs: Jennifer, Katherine, Vanessa, Allison, Dina, JoAnna, Stephanie

 

I think that covers most of them.

Nice summary! I’ll add that BB loved his summer “social issue” stories. Here’s the ones I can recall:

 

1979: White slavery w/Chris Brooks Foster and Rose Deville
1980: Cult w/Nikki and Paul
1981-5: none…?
1986: teenage pregnancy w/Nina and Molly
1987: teenage alcoholism w/Phillip III
1988: can’t think of a “summer story” but Jessica’s HIV disclosure climaxed in summer and Danny had his “Save the Earth” concert
1989: Cricket’s rape
1990: Dru’s illiteracy
1991: crack baby
1992: Michael’s sexual harassment of Cricket, I guess? That wasn’t limited to summer.
1993: senior citizens
1994: Cricket bringing Keemo from Vietnam was kind of a social story… earlier in the year – spousal abuse w/April

 

Starting w/1995, my memory gets fuzzy – what am I missing? 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@yrfan1983 I can't think of any summer social issue stories from the tail end of Bill Bell's run (1995-1998). Notice how almost all the summer social issue storylines from 1986-1994 involve Cricket in some way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yrfan1983 said:

Nice summary! I’ll add that BB loved his summer “social issue” stories. Here’s the ones I can recall:

 

1979: White slavery w/Chris Brooks Foster and Rose Deville
1980: Cult w/Nikki and Paul
1981-5: none…?
1986: teenage pregnancy w/Nina and Molly
1987: teenage alcoholism w/Phillip III
1988: can’t think of a “summer story” but Jessica’s HIV disclosure climaxed in summer and Danny had his “Save the Earth” concert
1989: Cricket’s rape
1990: Dru’s illiteracy
1991: crack baby
1992: Michael’s sexual harassment of Cricket, I guess? That wasn’t limited to summer.
1993: senior citizens
1994: Cricket bringing Keemo from Vietnam was kind of a social story… earlier in the year – spousal abuse w/April

 

Starting w/1995, my memory gets fuzzy – what am I missing? 
 

I would say:

1982: was about Traci Abbott's struggle with her weight and self image.

1983: was when Lauren came on and she tormented Tracy about her weight. Like inviting her to a pool party, shaking candy bars at her after aerobics, and ordering a banana split and sending it over. I also remember Danny & Traci were involved in a campus drug storyline and the ring leader forced them to take drugs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the latest 1983 clip that was uploaded has a very striking scene in it...

 

It cuts in at the Abbott dining room just after Jill has said a nasty remark to Traci causing her to storm off (John is apparently sick upstairs). And Ashley all of a sudden just lashes out at Jill - not over the top, but very controlled and almost menacing. You could see the pent-up rage in Ashley’s face. It is such a shame that the clips have cut out a large chunk of the Abbott storyline, because it seems riveting.

 

Although, one more scene that was left in re the Abbotts had me wondering - Jill and Jack seem to be plotting against John about something, but it is not mentioned what exactly. Now Patty’s shooting Jack hasn’t happened yet, so I’m curious as to what is going on. Can anyone fill in any blanks here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...