Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Just catching up on the recent 1983 clips that were uploaded.

Julia and Nikki’s chat at the penthouse =

Please register in order to view this content

. My god Nikki was almost possessive of Victor even back then. But Julia handled her like a pro. Although I have to ask - what was this “trip” all about that Julia and Victor are going on?

Alison Bancroft is *evil* AF. And now I see how Rick Darros was introduced.

Question = wasn’t Tony DiSalvo involved in one of Eve’s later schemes? I’m sure I’d seen his name mentioned in connection with her somewhere. 

• Members

He was writing the show at the same time he started playing Rick. Meg started writing for the show after she left in 1981. I remember reading an interview that said she was not allowed to write for her own character. I say the same went for Randy Holland. 

Nikki treats Kevin like crap and doesn't care. She complains he's too nice of a guy, like that is a huge character flaw. I wonder why Bell did not put Kevin with Julia at some point ? Victor thinks a lot of him and may have approved after he and Nikki married. 

• Members

This story had its moments as part of maturing Paul's character and turning him into a hero. I can say that I like the moments we've seen, especially the fight scene which was was very well choreographed, and the scene where Paul slips the rosary into Mary's hands at the hospital. There's also some stuff in the recaps that sounds good, like Carl having to humble himself to take John's offer to do security at Jabot and Jack telling him he's just the help! On the other hand, I can see this storyline getting boring day to day. I can hardly keep track of all the characters in the recaps and it's all "Paul is about to make progress on the case, but something happens, and Paul is on the verge of being killed! But then he's fine, and about to make a big break in the case..."  The story kind of drags in the full episodes I've seen, so I don't mind getting this digest version of it in the clips. A lot of umbrellas pop off in this story like Patty fighting with Jack about her wanting to have a child and moving out of the Abbot house, Amy Lewis coming to town when her father gets shot, and even Angela Laurence gets involved in this sphere with the attempted rape, though it doesn't seem to have gone anywhere.

What I think differentiates this from the other soaps is there's a lot of psychology/emotion played in the scenes. There was this one scene I read about  where Danny takes Patty to Paul's seedy motel room, she begs him to come home, he is cold towards her and she's crying, and then he says "don't come back here, it's too dangerous" which makes Patty realize that he does still care, and she embraces him, and it takes everything for him not to show his emotions in the moment and tell him he loves her. That's classic Y&R, I can just picture it.

Being that Nikki had an abusive alcoholic father, I feel that this fits her character very well.

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

The segment in 17b/18a at the Bayou was bizarre and not in a good way... Nikki is so delusional she thinks the patrons want her up on the stage... and when she gets on the stage, they give her the silent treatment because they think she's fat... and then Victor announces she's not fat but pregnant, and then gets a standing applause... just weird... Nikki almost seems to be suffering from a mental illness at this point.

• Members

I noticed in the credits of the 1982 episodes that listed as "Assistant To The Creator" Bill Bell is William J. Asher. I think that is the son of Bewitched Producer William Asher & his wife Elizabeth Montgomery. Bewitched was a Columbia/Screen Gems production as was Y&R.

• Members

Yep, and we see the exact reason right there why Nikki hates Sharon’s guts so much - they’re actually so much alike in so many ways.

Yes it is in the recent clips from 1983 that were uploaded to the vault. She certainly made a contribution, as did everybody in that scene.

• Members

Between the classics, the uploads, and discussions here, we can pinpoint elements Bill Bell liked to use on his shows.

Established upper class families: Brooks, Abbott, Forrester

Working class families: Foster, Williams, Logan

Working class single mother with a scheming social climbing daughter: Liz/Jill, Beth/Brooke, Doris/Sharon

Brothers fighting over a girl: Snapper/Greg, Lance/Lucas, Jazz/Tyrone, Victor/Matt, Ridge/Thorne, Neil/Malcolm

Sisters fighting over a guy: Leslie/Lorie, Donna/Katie, Ashley/Traci, Olivia/Dru

Virgin heroines that are rape victims: Chris, Peggy, Caroline, Cricket

Working class young woman in conflict with older wealthy woman: Jill/Katherine, Nikki/Allison, Brooke/Stephanie, Nina/Jill, Sharon/Nikki

Mothers that attempt to control their son's love lives: Vanessa, Allison, Mary, Stephanie, Nikki, Jill

Messy wealthy matriarchs: Jennifer, Katherine, Vanessa, Allison, Dina, JoAnna, Stephanie

I think that covers most of them.